View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Where's the best area in London to live?

Vyvyan  said about 6 years ago  or at  6:03PM on Sunday, June 17 2007 in chat

I'm leaving to London in a month and a week and I have no idea where in London to look for accomodation.

I'm guessing we're all like-ish minded people and so I was hoping for a few suggestions.

I'm thinking about Angel/Islington.. or then entirely the opposite direction Clapham/Brixton.. but even then I have no idea what I'm doing.

What am I doing?! I'm a bit arty, I like my live music.. I'm a bit poor.. and I want to get a job in advertising/design. The course I hope to get into is in Vauxhall.

Any help?!

101010101010101  said about 6 years ago:

Except for the poor bit, live in Camden.

Modi  said about 6 years ago:

Earl's Court.

Or Croydon.

elle-zo  said about 6 years ago:

do not live in camden, you will regret it.

vyv - you sound like someone who needs to live in hackney / dalston / london fields / stoke newington.

art/design/gigs/being poor = hackney/dalston, and hanging out in shoreditch.

angel/islington is okay for shopping, but there are no likeminded young people living there. they're all in east london

Vyvyan  said about 6 years ago:

Oh I have so much to learn. Thanks for your help y'all.

If anyone knows of anyone with any spare rooms coming up after the 25th of July, you know where to send them..

more more more more more

not to be demanding or anything.. cough

littlearch  said about 6 years ago:

wait til the northern hemispherans wake up, vyv

i'm sure HEB will be helpful as always

flobs  said about 6 years ago:

Don't live in Croydon - it's miles out (not even sure if it's in zone 6).

elle-zo is right on the money.

nicko_mcbrain  said about 6 years ago:

yep, zone 1-2 east. sure, you'll pass a lot of police info signs requesting witnesses to murders (not exaggerating, bow has the 6th highest murder rate in the country) but london crime won't find you if you're careful, like in most places, really. but there's tons of awesome shit happening in the east end.

sign up for the weekly newsletter at flavorpill, too - it's like a condensed timeout with no crap listings.

Peter  said about 6 years ago:

HEB's place.

Peter  said about 6 years ago:

littlearch said 17 minutes ago:
wait til the northern hemispherans wake up

++++

it's now 09:50 Sunday morning. i 'woke up' (restlesssly) at 04:30. fuck!

HEB  said about 6 years ago:

Depends what you're after.

I lived in Hackney for around seven years.
elle-zo is right - it ticks a lot of your boxes.
It was great for a while, but now I'm glad to be out of it.
It's a bugger to get out from (only London borough without a tube), and isn't for all tastes.

Avoid Camden
There's isn't much around Angel of note either.

If you want an idea of prices and availability, try Loot
There's also Gumtree, but rents there are often unrealistically high, and you may well end up in an Aussie houseshare [not much point travelling around if you immerse yourself in your own culture]
Those SA/NZ/Aus share houses are often in Shepherd's Bush, Acton, Clapham, Tooting, Golder's Green...

The best thing is to go and see the areas, and see if you like them, and would feel comfortable in them

elle-zo  said about 6 years ago:

bethnal green / whitechapel is okay, too. better tube access than hackney/dalston. and you never have to experience a ride on the 149 bus either : )

bigstar  said about 6 years ago:

Whitechapel and Mile End are both great. I lived in East London for quite some time (it's also cheaper). I also lived in Battersea for a while (South of the Thames) and I loved it . The proximity to Brixton, Tooting, Camberwell . That was great

gumnuts  said about 6 years ago:

viva los 'ditch! long may the stovepipes stretch and the mullets flow.

the power of 666  said about 6 years ago:

I stayed in Camden and couldn't wait to get the fuck out of london.

voidster  said about 6 years ago:

I was a poncey Fulham person but the demographic has changed since I bought a house there 20 odd years ago

they told me I had rocks in my head but it is worth a fucking fortune these days!

I always preferred west and south west london

bitethecurb  said about 6 years ago:

what heb said after 1.5 years in east london (shoreditch / aldgate east) I think I've hit my expiry date. Land yourself around victoria park if you do choose hackney. Avoid sw (shepherds bush, fulham etc). Chalk Farm / Belsize park is a decent compromise if you are looking for camden etc ..

Oh dear.

I don't think I'm used to so many options. Is anywhere like Erskineville/Newtown? haha (sad but I"m actually curious)

Punch  said about 6 years ago:

i was hoping for a place in the shoreditch area, but was glad i settled in the north... camden's great, but tufnell park and kentish town a bit quieter and cleaner, but still amongst it. the bethnall green and shoreditch sides are well located but i found them a bit intense and built up and trafficky for my liking.

heb has offered some good sites, but i found there was no quality control looking for places there. trust me when i say the very very best site for finding houses in london is moveflat - all the ads give you a far better idea of what you are in for, the housemates' interests and full costs. good luck to you... where you live in london has a big impact on how much you enjoy it... if you enjoy it :)

Wonky  said about 6 years ago:

I lived in Camden and loved the shit out of it. 5 min walk to the tube and a 5 min walk to Regent's Park. Looking back I wish I'd appreciated it more at the time.

Oh and about 15+ decent live music venues within 10 mins walk.

View Comments 20 to 199

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

Lilo  said about 5 years ago:

Yeah, my old boyfriend lived in Stoke Newington and said it was pretty good.

Shazzat, I'll be flying into London on the 8th of December.

shazzat  said about 5 years ago:

Bump....

Room avail. in my house again, Spanish flatmate can't get a job so going back to Spain. Available next week, east zone 2 (Mile End nearest tube). Anyone coming to London or know of someone looking for a room, PM me. Good price, furnished, great location etc etc

HEB  said about 5 years ago:

This is the thread you were looking for

redlips  said about 4 years ago:

hey guys... gig guides for london. please show me them

thanks in advance

Tim_Marben  said about 4 years ago:

Time Out and the Stool Pigeon are your friends

redlips  said about 4 years ago:

thanks... ok -so that works for stuff inthe immeadiate future but what if you're, say, looking to visit in july and trying to work out what week will work, what big tours are on and which week to come.

Are there some venues that I should do searches on or should I just take a punt that SOMETHING awesome will be on while I'm there?

littlesmoke  said about 4 years ago:

When are you there redlips? Mrs Smoke & I are in London from 28 July for a few days.

littlesmoke  said about 4 years ago:

Are there some venues that I should do searches on or should I just take a punt that SOMETHING awesome will be on while I'm there?

When I was last there....I went for dinner with some friends, looked out the window & noticed a line of band going looking folk...glanced up ''MOTORHEAD: TONIGHT!''. I didn't go (I was in a suit!) & have regretted it since...next time, suit or no suit...MOTORHEAD!

mrmagoo  said about 4 years ago:

just use last.fm for gig guides, by far the easiest

charlesincharge  said about 3 years ago:

hey londoners

whats your idea of reasonable rent on a weekly basis?

if you were share-housing, would L130 be a lot or a little?

JudyDickslap  said about 3 years ago:

I lived in a beautiful huge three storey terrace, free of charge, in Clapham. Right near the Common. Ten minutes on the Tube from Oxford Circus, fifteen to Camden. I dare say renting such premises would cost an arm and a leg.

Fuck I miss that place,

Bittervictorian  said about 3 years ago:

Charles, is that including bills (including Council Tax, which renters not landlords, pay)?

Kez  said about 3 years ago:

I just found my UK diaries today, and was reminded of this - When I was househunting (for, like, 6 months), the council tax was always the x-factor thing you had to look out for. It could turn a just-affordable place into a noWAYcanIaffordthat place.
But on the bright side,banks don't charge account-keeping fees - how good's that! You get to keep your 8p interest.

Bittervictorian  said about 3 years ago:

Plus you can withdraw from any bank ATM without paying any ATM fee (though not the dodgy non-bank ones in the pub). Does that still happen in Australia?

daza166  said about 3 years ago:

There are some good flatshare websites out there, but some can be decieving in the content they show. I would reccommend , these guys are great and all the ads are posted regularly and very detailed, giving you a far better idea of what you are in for, in terms of the housemates' and full costs. good luck

London is a great city as long as you live it to the full, and have great outgoing house/flatmates. you shall enjoy it... you will enjoy it lol :)

daza166  said about 3 years ago:

There are some good flatshare websites out there, but some can be decieving in the content they show. I would reccommend Flat Flat for Flatshare and Houseshare, these guys are great and all the ads are posted regularly and very detailed, giving you a far better idea of what you are in for, in terms of the housemates' and full costs. good luck

London is a great city as long as you live it to the full, and have great outgoing house/flatmates. you shall enjoy it... you will enjoy it lol :)

Jazzy  said about 3 years ago:

Crouch End or Muswell Hill are my preferences.

JudyDickslap  said about 3 years ago:

I kinda miss living in Clapham.

TheStaffords  said about 1 year ago:

Hi guys I read most of these posts but my eyes are sore and I should just ask. Can anybody recommend an area of London suitable for a musician who intends to be working as one? My band is considering relocating there for a laugh. I've been before and stayed in Clapham where I encountered heaps of Aussies. My impression of Camden was that it was a bit lousy, and although Shoreditch seemes a bit pretentious I imagine it's probably most suitable venue-wise. Any thoughts?

djringfinger  said about 1 year ago:

yeah shoreditch is where all the cool kids are now at, and there are cheaper bits around Bethnel Green. Another good gigging area is Stoke Newington, only a short hop from Shoreditch on the EL overground

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.