View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

aldi

TransientRandom  said about 7 years ago  or at  11:40PM on Wednesday, April 18 2007 in stupidity

no aldi thread? far out. best place ever, despite sporadically stocked vegetable displays and horrible in-house brand rice (how do you grow shit rice? if anyone doesn't believe me, i'll post you some in the mail. i have many kilograms.)

my local is only open mon-wed then sat.

non-shelf packing long barcode freaks! it makes me feel like those years "front-stocking" shelves at franklins were worthless.

it's also the biggest weirdo magnet in the world.

please share your aldi experiences.

Modi  said about 7 years ago:

I first went to Aldi when I was in England, the nearest one was miles away, though, so we went to Lidl more often.

A friend's dad lived off Aldi food, as his pension was about 2 pounds a week. Lots of beans, I recall, for about 5p a can.

rosie  said about 7 years ago:

dont they sell of dog food?

rosie  said about 7 years ago:

*cans

TransientRandom  said about 7 years ago:

whoa. it's gone up to 49c!

i take a 20 minute train ride then walk 15 mins to get to aldi. in winter i will do this in the snow with no shoes.

Modi  said about 7 years ago:

Yeah, this was in 2000, TR. Not to mention the sheer enormity of the market in Europe. They can buy a billion cans of beans for next to nothing per can, and not have any fear about whether they will sell, because they have stores all over the continent.

The stuff we get here is probably still a lot more expensive just due to shipping costs.

pensioners can vent their frustration by having a moderately voiced public mumble at the smackies in aldi these days. ever since lodging complaints with ACA or today tonight changed to an internet interface pensioners have been squeezed out, so much like the contents of a tube of "glisten" brand troothpaste.

Pal  said about 7 years ago:

When we were in Brisbane the nice people built an Aldi across the road for us, I thought that was quite polite.

Seymour  said about 7 years ago:

Problem with Aldi is that they don't sell all the cool meat that they do at the European ones.. immigration laws I'm certain. no visas granted for cheap bratwurst and brockwurst :(

aloha  said about 7 years ago:

buelhers lemon drink from aldi is EXACTLY the same as lift.

I demand cheap fresh goods!! See - look what's on special at the German Aldi right about now..

Cheap Meat!!

Cheap Butter with Humorous Stereotypical Names!!

Cheap Simsalabims!!

Cheap Erfrischungsstäbchens!!

Coz  said about 7 years ago:

I went to Aldi once in an outer South suburb of Sydney, when we were on our way to Byron Bay. It was about 11am, we had been travelling non-stop since about 7pm the night before, the sun was shining and it was beautiful. I bought two bags of passionfruit, some peppermint tea and rosehip tea, and let my boyfriend buy all the rest. The passionfruits were ace, I would have them with breakfats in Byron Bay. The peppermint tea was ace too. I didn't get a chance to open the rosehip tea till we got home to Melbourne, I used to keep it in my suitcase so I didn't have to search through the trailer to find it in the mornings.

hahah! imagine if the immigrating meat came with it's own little passport. and if you had to send it back when it's visa expired. ewww. oh fuck, i'm retarded.

luke  said about 7 years ago:

I really like aldi, but I wouldn't bother shopping at aldi if I didn't have 20 minutes to kill before my ferry trip. There's a lot of stuff they don't stock, and there's a lot of stuff they stock which isn't worth buying.
But if you know what's good and what's not at aldi you can breeze in and out of there and safe heaps of money...

I want to hear more about the meat with passports.

i badly want weed and photoshop skills right about now.

lots of people object to aldi's not having everything all the time. i think it keeps you on your toes. aldi DOES need dried legumes and tofu though. they are alienating the hippies.

moses  said about 7 years ago:

ive never been to aldi. does it stock lots of german stuff? germany has paprika flavoured chips, there so nice i want some.

Steaks on a Plane!!

Rufus  said about 7 years ago:

i hate aldi so much. it's the freaks supermarket. and for cheapskates and those who don't really care what they eat.

i like choice. aldi is like shopping under a communist regime.

Meat with passports Rufus.. feel the love.

unvisible  said about 7 years ago:

I bought a bottle of wine from Aldi last week to cook with for $3. I haven't drank any yet. Perhaps I should have a glass now.

Next week I plan to finally try Aldi beer. I'm excited.

I recommend Aldi corn chips and salsa. Surprisingly not crap.

View Comments 20 to 1256

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

hungryhungryhippo  said about 1 year ago:

tawedog said 1 day ago:
i've eaten a whole packet of aldi palazzo dark chocolate biscuits today. i feel fantastic.

Yep- these are great, but I prefer the milk which is odd as I mostly only eat dark choc.

Wanted to also say that the fake monaco bars are shit hot but the fake grain waves are just shit.

AWDEES 4 EVA.

ocelotl  said about 1 year ago:

Well the $40 vacuum is good. My first time using a vacuum with a transparent casing, all the crap you're sucking up spinning around, kind of satisfying to see what's going on. 4 stars.

JoeyRamone  said about 1 year ago:

Has anyone else noticed jars of peanut butter churned with honey and chocolate chips in store? Perhaps it's a mirage.

snowwhite  said about 1 year ago:

I got to see a real ''Aldi'' today. Young. german, inpecible suit, here for a new Aldi opening.
Amusingly art directing the banana display

mule  said about 1 year ago:

online aldi liquor store opens in a couple days

rawr  said about 1 year ago:

I got to see a real ''Aldi'' today. Young. german, inpecible suit, here for a new Aldi opening.
Amusingly art directing the banana display

heh. i saw one a few weeks back. local staff were less than enthusiastic about his suggestions.

ocelotl  said about 1 year ago:

Oh jeez this thread reminded me, I am unrecommending the $40 vacuum. It stopped working after a couple of months. Of course the refund policy there is super-easy, but just a hassle to have to go back there.

rawr  said about 1 year ago:

for the travellers, american aldis have great almond milk and incredibly cheap hass avocados

hungryhungryhippo  said about 1 year ago:

snowwhite  said 6 hours ago:
I got to see a real ''Aldi'' today. Young. german, inpecible suit, here for a new Aldi opening. Amusingly art directing the banana display

Thank you so much for this anecdote. I can't get this image out of my head. Hee.

Victor Brasilia  said about 1 year ago:

Just picked a Benq projector for $399. Bargain.

Victor Brasilia  said about 1 year ago:

picked up^

chimpassgimp666  said about 1 year ago:

Heineken stubbies brewed in Holland for under $40.

Block  said about 1 year ago:

juicenewton*  said about 11 months ago:

Was just about to call the electrician and lay down a few 100 bucks for him to put in an outdoor electrical point for some courtyard fairylights, but decided to hit up Aldi for a shop first. Low and behold who's just trucked in a bunch of solar fairies in every shape and colour! bought 2 buckets worth at $20 a pop.

Aldi -1

Electrician/climate deniers - 0

hungryhungryhippo  said about 11 months ago:

Nice one juice. We can drink a bottle of the 22 french champagne from aldi beneath them. Exe....but not compared to Bollinger and I really enjoyed. I am going to flog these at Christmas.

hungryhungryhippo  said about 10 months ago:

The 25 monsigny french is even better and the $10 rioja is great value.

juicenewton*  said about 10 months ago:

Anyone done the Aldi Xmas Cracker? It's my first year hosting the family christmas lunch, if the crackers are shiteful I will not hear the end of it for decades. Research/input is required.

anonymous  said about 6 months ago:

Whole lot of music stuff on sale 8th march, 3 types of guitar, amps, pedals, wireless guitar lead, bongos, microphones

books  said about 6 months ago:

thinking I might get a tablet stand and have it double as a bedroom mic stand with some creative rubber band use

slothman  said about 6 months ago:

maitre D gratins for $4 is the bargain of the decade

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.