View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

magic mushrooms

kuroneko  said about 9 years ago  or at  5:17PM on Thursday, July 13 2006 in stupidity

more mushie tea, vicar? or 'no shit, Sherlock'

Mushroom magic put to test

The magic of certain mushrooms has long been the stuff of myth. Now US scientists have confirmed their mystical powers.

Researchers at Johns Hopkins University have shown the active agent in magic mushrooms can induce a mystical or spiritual experience and prompt positive changes in behaviour and attitude lasting for months.

The study, published this week in the journal Psychopharmacology, is believed to be the first of its kind since the 1960s. Until then, compounds of the drugs had been used in psychotherapy but the practice fell into disrepute as their abuse led to severe side effects.

The Johns Hopkins study involved 36 healthy, educated adults. Most were middle-aged and had no family history of psychosis or bipolar disorder.

At two eight-hour drug sessions held at two-month intervals, they were given either the hallucinogen psilocybin, the active agent in magic mushrooms, or a placebo.

More than 60 per cent had a mystical experience when given psilocybin. More than two-thirds rated it in the top five most meaningful and spiritual experiences in their lives, likening it to the birth of a child or the death of a parent. One in three said it was their single most spiritually significant experience.

However, one-third reported significant adverse reactions, such as fear and paranoia.

Director of the Howard Florey Institute Professor Fred Mendelsohn said the research provided insight into the brain and consciousness, and showed psychotropic drugs could apparently be used safely in controlled trials.

However, he said: "This study should not be seen as endorsing the wider and unsupervised use of these compounds."

hwct  said about 9 years ago:

interesting....

McGauz  said about 9 years ago:

yes please

mrb  said about 9 years ago:

Mushrooms rule. I had them before acid and loved em big time. Till I thought having heaps more would make for a better trip and proceeded to flip out...but that was my own fault.

djbollocks  said about 9 years ago:

i've been lucky to never have had a bad trip on mushies. has anyone here had any bad experiences on them?

kuroneko  said about 9 years ago:

I've never even had 'em :(

Lauren  said about 9 years ago:

i had a very bad night on mushrooms about 6 months ago

was the night itself bad or the effects of the shrooms?

me either neko.. but it's one I want to try..

the power of 666  said about 9 years ago:

Never had mushrooms, they seem like too much hard work to find. Come down?

more prevalent in NSW, maybe? Vic doesn't really have the conditions for it... though I may be incorrect.

Manhattan  said about 9 years ago:

I've never had mushrooms, either. Or LSD. I certainly wouldn't knock em back if they were offered. I'd really like em in a "special shake" in Thailand. I've heard the most fabulous stories.

triptolemus  said about 9 years ago:

> Never had mushrooms, they seem like too much hard work to find

Easy to find from here. I'd just wander up to (funnily enough) Blue Range. Haven't had any for years, but they were fantastic when I did.

come down isn't too bad. you feel more tired than anything - not like coming down from acid where you feel really shitty.

Manhattan  said about 9 years ago:

I've heard about a spot where they can be freely picked close to Melb CBD. May be wrong, though.

mipearson  said about 9 years ago:

Irregardless you build up a big resistance to them really quickly.

So you'd see people who used to take 2 caps for a night have to drop ten or twelve just to get the same effect.

And if you abuse them they really burn out your nervous system. So I stay away.

Hatts, PM..... :)

sister  said about 9 years ago:

nicer, warmer and more organic feeling than acid.

i've never had a bad trip on mushies, but I havent' had any in a long long time - i don't do hallucigens anymore.

there are some traditional picking spots around Melbourne.
there's a place somewhere near me but it's my sister-in-law's secret.

and there are places down on the coast.

they must be arround. A friend told me just a few weeks back about a party he was at over a weekend in some dudes backyard, and a big bag of mushies was handed around.. so they're out there. Some people are in the know!

Pip.  said about 9 years ago:

The grow in abundance in Tassie.

I can't have them anymore, they make me vomit :(

Inactivist  said about 9 years ago:

Easily my best drug experience. I had a buddy with a jar full of 'em. Good times.

View Comments 20 to 702

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

ghoti-max  said about 1 month ago:

if anyone in sydney has shrooms i could use some pretty badly. would be extremely grateful. pm me or whatever.. thank yoouuu

nexus  said about 1 month ago:

How long before News Ltd publishes their annual story on hospitalised people who were eating wild mushrooms and the usual warning from authorities?

poprocks96  said about 1 month ago:

We've got some on our front lawn.

anonymous  said about 1 month ago:

Friday night footy will never be the same.

Charnystyle  said about 1 month ago:

Grow them yourself. It's very easy to do in a small storage tub in the cupboard. Cubes are much more fun than subs and the different international varieties are some amazing strains with all kinds of individual qualities.

It takes two months for inoculation then a month for fruiting. Once they are done dry them and they will keep for years.

Spore prints for microscopy purposes are not illegal in Australia.

ghoti-max  said about 1 month ago:

means i can finally take advantage of my cold damp sharehouse.

They need heat. They need to be kept at 21-24 degrees Celsius when fruiting. Buy a simple pet warmer or plant heat pad to provide the heat source.

sting-bono  said about 1 month ago:

I went mushrooming a few times in the last month for pine mushrooms and slippery jacks and got a huge haul. Magic mushrooms were everywhere and the roos had eaten a lot of them and they seemed to also be growing around roo droppings, imagine skippy tripping balls. They had eaten golden tops and the red white speckled ones. I also found a dead deer next to the red ones. Don't pick the red ones. Good tip: cut them off from the stems if you want them to grow back in the same place, don't pluck them out of the ground.

Some people take Amanita Muscaria as a recreational drug. You can buy them dried at Happy High Herbs. The effects are completely different to Psilocybin mushrooms.

You learn to pinch the subs off at the bottom of the stem by hand leaving the mycelial network intact. You don't need to take scissors. It's also a good idea to tap a few mushrooms on the head to drop additional spores wherever you want.

The Amanita Muscaria needs to be prepared properly (boiling, baking, drying etc) otherwise it's very poisonous.

I have seen people eat them raw. Lot of freaks out there :)

Ben  said about 1 month ago:

what's the name of the ones where when you rub them they turn blue?

Psilocybin mushrooms bruise blue. Cubes and subs aka gold tops, blue meanies etc. The colloquial names differ depending on where in Australia you are. Some people call subs gold tops and some call cubes gold tops. Other places people call them blue meanies.

Subaeruginosa grow in cold weather usually in pine forests and are the second strongest Psilocybin species on earth. Cubensis grow in warm weather usually in cow poo or in climate controlled environments such as cupboards.

autumnleaves  said about 1 month ago:

Sting: where's a good place to go for slippery jacks and pine mushies? I only go rarely and usually just spend the day walking without finding anything.

I forage in pine plantations. I aim for the part of the plantation that has mid sized trees. Where the trees are too young the soil is too hard and dry and where the trees are too big the soil and needles is sometimes overly rotted or dark and dank. The pine mushrooms will grow where there is brief sun to create humidity, so along the edge tracks of the pine plantation or in breaks in the middle, in the plantation look for higher ground along ridges, where you have low land it gets far too soggy. A rule of thumb is where the amanita muscaria grow the pine mushrooms can grow too, those stick out so it's always an indication of where to look for pine mushrooms. The pine mushrooms push up under the pine needles so step gently and look for bulges and orange tinges, where you find one there's bound to be more. I try to get the baby button ones.

Slippery jacks are harder to find and grubs and animals usually get to them first. With them I have no strategy, it's just luck. But they also grow well in pine plantations, they'll usually be in darker soggier places in the middle. If you're lucky you'll also find chanterelles under dead trunks.

I usually also collect pine needles to cook mussels eclade.

Also both types of mushrooms are usually under or around trees or fallen trees. Look around the trunk.

but where are the pine plantations? I found one near macedon, but as you say the trees were pretty tall and it was quite dank in there.

Victoria has so many. From red hill to the alps to Macedon. Take your pick. I like the flat forests not the hilly ones.

Are these owned by private companies or on public land?

Private companies, but the public are allowed in. I used to trail bike ride in them as a kid and cops couldn't arrest me there or even tell me off. The companies won't care about you taking mushrooms but they'd tell you not to because if you break a leg or eat a death cap you can sue them. They're not fenced off.

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.