View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

sydney scrabblefest '07

LoadMyRig  said about 7 years ago  or at  12:27PM on Wednesday, April 11 2007 in competitions

Scrabblefest 2007 Rules:

Entry Cost: $20
(to cover transport for finalists and prize money)

Tournament Format:

Bracketed Elimination mini-tournament in Each City, winner progressing to the next round, loser eliminated. Melbourne with 32 entries over 4 Rounds plus final, Sydney with 16 Entries over 3 rounds plus final.

Once both City champions have been crowned, the player with the highest average score over all rounds played has home ground advantage, and can choose the location of the final, transport will then be organised with relevent parties.

Where a bracket has a odd number of participants, the player with the highest score from the previous round will get a bye from the current round. If there is no previous round, a random participant will get a bye.

Prize money will be the amount leftover from pool after transport arrangements have been made. 2/3 of the Amount to the Final Winner, and 1/3 to the Loser.

Game Rules:

* Each game is conducted in a public venue agreed by the two players, using a dictionary that the two players agree on.
* Players must contact each other to organise their rounds and they must do so promptly.
* An independant adjudicator/scorer must be present at the game, preferably the city organiser or their delegate
* In the event of a challenge, only the adjudicator may consult the dictionary. players may not handle or consult the dictionary themselves AT ALL.
* Each board and score sheet to be photographed and uploaded to m+n for the entertainment of all.
* Not turning up to your game is considered a forfeit.  

*Specific Scrabble Rules: *

* Endgame: first person to put all their tiles down is the winner. the loser's tiles are added up and that number is subtracted from the loser's score, as well as added to the winner's score.
* Challenges: As per official scrabble rules, failed challenges result in the challenger losing their turn.

THE DRAW

wipey  said about 7 years ago:

where is it being held?

wipey  said about 7 years ago:

and when?

LoadMyRig  said about 7 years ago:

we generally play at the warrenview wipey.

round one starts this weekend

man those rules look shit - repost:

• Each game is conducted in a public venue agreed by the two players, using a dictionary that the two players agree on.

• Players must contact each other to organise their rounds and they must do so promptly.

• An independant adjudicator/scorer must be present at the game, preferably the city organiser or their delegate

• In the event of a challenge, only the adjudicator may consult the dictionary. players may not handle or consult the dictionary themselves AT ALL.

• Each board and score sheet to be photographed and uploaded to m+n for the entertainment of all.

• Not turning up to your game is considered a forfeit.

Specific Scrabble Rules: *

• Endgame: first person to put all their tiles down is the winner. the loser's tiles are added up and that number is subtracted from the loser's score, as well as added to the winner's score.
  • Challenges: As per official scrabble rules, failed challenges result in the challenger losing their turn.

redlips  said about 7 years ago:

even shitter loadie... you is s'posed to be the queen of format

RoastOxCrisps  said about 7 years ago:
  • Endgame: first person to put all their tiles down is the winner. the*

eh?

and this draw may be easier to see:

argggggggghhhhh FUCKEN MARKDOWN

sorry the draw is so hard to see!

anonymous  said about 7 years ago:

right click on it and "view image"

medicineman  said about 7 years ago:

aw shit - i might as well give up now :(

i don't understand the rules of winning. first person to put down all the tiles??

Mrmusic  said about 7 years ago:

right clicks, looks for view image, doesn't find it and cries

errr, it means the game ends when the first person puts down all there tiles/clears the rack when theres none left in reserve.

and the other persons tiles are added up and subtracted from there score/added to the finishers score.

im pretty sure its in the scrabble rulebook.

redlips  said about 7 years ago:

ox... the rules of winning:

• you look away
  • I pick my own tiles and dazzle you with my vocabulary
  • you don't challenge me

see, easy.

$20 entry fee this year??
I don't recall that being communicated.
Have we fallen short in the last 2 years?

oh ok. I just didn't understand the bit which says the first person to put down all the tiles is the winner. I figured points were important in working out who the winner is.

winners a misnomer in this case, our bad.

music: think its more to make the prize more lucrative/offer two prizes (and flights cost a bit more these days)

err yeah sorry about the erroneous statement "first person to put all their tiles down is the winner"

that shoudl read "first person to put all their tiles down ends the game"

OK enough bitching.

who's on for this weekend?

View Comments 20 to 497

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

montyclift  said about 7 years ago:

ok,hillsong, start psyching out your melbourne components!

and would you take your new friend down there with you, bro.

ah, newtown psycho drunks - doncha love 'em?

TheNightwatchman  said about 7 years ago:

Nice game ladies!

Who's dictionary is that?

hillsonghoods  said about 7 years ago:

yep, i would come to melbourne, if i had the choice. i think. unless the contest drags on for a couple of months from here, when i'm probably going to be too busy. i suspect that whoever wins in melbourne will have a higher aggregate score than me though - some high scoring games down there!

daveyaviator  said about 7 years ago:

ah, newtown psycho drunks - doncha love 'em?

did i miss something, monty?

yes indeed you did davey...

we had a visit from the local loud talking newtown drunk... exposing how pussy rules the world

newguy  said about 7 years ago:

yes indeed you did davey...

we had a visit from the local loud talking newtown drunk... exposing how pussy rules the world

That couldn't have happened, I wasn't in sydney on the weekend. That reminds me, next time we catch up mm, I'll have to tell you all about how pussy rules the world.

Congrats hillsong and davey, sounds like it was a tight n' exciting game! Now go conquer Victoria for us hillbong, Sydney's pride rests on your shoulders!

okay kiddiez - you'll all remember that the state finalist with the highest average score across all game rounds gets to decide the venue of the interstate final.

here's hilly's results:

I hope he takes out the tourny.
There's no shame in being beaten by the best.

newguy - he not only exposed the pussy world ruling thing (i'm kind of glad that's all he exposed), but also looked uncannily like charles manson.

this was the second meeting monty, supercute and I have had with this fellow... the alst time being the sando a few weeks ago....

sounds like a plan newguy.... maybe we can catch up this week anbd you can tell me all about it.

GnomeChomsky  said about 7 years ago:

this was the second meeting monty, supercute and I have had with this fellow... the alst time being the sando a few weeks ago....

wait, not that guy?!?! If it's the same guy you met when I was with you at the sando that time... eurrrrgh!

Loadie - I've just calculated the averages of the remaining Melbournites in the comp. depending on what melbourne finalist i get, they're probably going to have a higher average than me. nightwatchman's average is currently 386 (though, i couldn't find his results against freaksy), flobs' is 348, and tabula rasa's is 312. so they're probably going to choose where the final is i reckon, unless the final rounds are tougher and more defensively played and bring down their averages.

BADALEX  said about 7 years ago:

Bah. My flatmate would eat your fucking face in the scrabble race.

really BADALEX? get her in contact with me. i want competitive practice matches now!

BADALEX  said about 7 years ago:

You WANT to have your face eaten?

Playing against better players can teach you much. Though, I suspect that face-eating will not occur.

I wouldn't if I were you, Hillsong. I hear she beat Alex with a whopping total of 270 odd.

BADALEX has such a crush on her though. It's very sweet, really.

angelic_layer  said about 7 years ago:

bump for loady

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.