danielz  said about 7 years ago:

it ain't mine. how much do ya reckon Blake? no idea what condition it's in...

blake3030  said about 7 years ago:

I dunno, depends which model.

But I often have a look on ebay and they never seem to go for less than $500, even for the crappy looking ones.

nicko_mcbrain  said about 7 years ago:

give it a bash, dan - some of them are unheralded gems.

i'll have to get a speaker box from somewhere, it's just a head.

nicko_mcbrain  said about 7 years ago:

even better - low wattage heads are the new black, and goldentone didn't make many real powerful models, IIRC. there are some good nerd sites out there; google 'vintage aussie amps'.

it's the head version of this one:

bassmaster, apparently

spaceman1  said about 7 years ago:

woe is me. shit amp ahoy!

questionmark  said about 7 years ago:

I've just sold both of mine. no reflection on the amps, I just don't have the space anymore.

autumnleaves  said about 6 years ago:

anyone selling a goldentone at the moment by any chance? Ideally after a 20-40 watt combo

The_Suits  said about 6 years ago:

i got a magnatone for sale.

rigid  said about 6 years ago:

i love my goldentone. it sounds boss.

Angelic  said about 6 years ago:

I had one in 1995. a 60 watt head. bought it for $175 dollars.

spaceman1  said about 6 years ago:

hey suits. whats a magnatone? + how much do you want for it?

many tahnks

xx sm1

spaceman you probably don't want it but i'm selling it for $2.5k

this is a magnatone:

although mine's in better nick than that.

They're one of the first amps with tremelo... real tremelo. not that vibrato that fender tries to pass off as tremelo... this is a real pitch bending tremelo. absolutely awesome. breaks up really awesome but it's an old amp so it's only about as loud as an original vox.

oh boo.

nice one suits..

it is. very nice. i bought it cos i fell in love with it, but now that i've got the tonemaster i don't use it any more.

what's the tonemaster?
(I love your amp love) tell us about the tonemaster?

rigid: what kind of goldentone you got?

um ONLY THE BEST AMP IN THE WORLD!!!!

check out this baby from the custom fender shop.

it sounds similar to a plexi but i reckon it's got more shades of grey.

ooh..my hornometer just peaked out.

digwemust  said about 6 years ago:

i don't have any to sell but i just so happened across this webpage with some nice piccies of goldentones...

why all this love for goldentones anyway? just cos ac/dc used em? what about silvertones? are they just too rare in australia for anyone to bother with?

FrankieTeardrop  said about 6 years ago:

Rigid's Goldentone Bassmaster is pretty sensational. Farty-sounding but kinda hottt.

why all this love for goldentones anyway?

they sound good I guess, my 60watt one was very dark..still had a real thing about it..some say between marshall and fender...I dunno I spose a bit like that..mine kinda was anyway..I was told about em by an old muso in the early 90's and then i lucked onto one...I called it the 'tardis' cos when I hooked up the shin ei psychadelic fuzz machine it sounded like it was going to take off...plus it was a big rig...

all I know is they were made in Melbourne, and they are cool. As for silvertone, I only know the US brand silvertone. Was it a mail order brand in the US?, anyway I dont know the brand silvertone..in Aus..are they good???

i reckon they've got pretty similar sounds (the silvertone and goldentone that is) - just wondering really. ;-)

I'm so glad people aren't this obsessed with Vase amps. Keeps the prices reasonable.

anyone know much about strauss amps? 70's?

not much at all A_L... played them and i don't like them so i keep away from them. sorry!

yeah I never played one. I saw one at a hock shop once. A big one..anyway yeah I thought they were shit..taa.

autumnleaves said 5 hours ago:
rigid: what kind of goldentone you got?

bassmaster 40.

FrankieTeardrop said 4 hours ago:
Rigid's Goldentone Bassmaster is pretty sensational. Farty-sounding but kinda hottt.

i just learned to take the volume knob off 10. you should hear it now!

i just learned to take the volume knob off 10

Ha ha. That's not very punk rock, is it now!

Anyway, Strauss amps - their quality seems to vary a lot. I managed to blow up a solid state 80watt head once. Fuck knows how. But all those 70s Australian boogie bands like The Aztecs swore by them.

I'll stick with Vases, thank you.

Timebomb  said about 6 years ago:

yes they turn to shit when you crank them right up.

my 40w bassmaster has a very small sweet spot. anything below 6 sound wimpy and gay. anything above 7.5 is bottomless mush. but if you hit it with a nice overdrive pedal and set the volume between 6-7.5.. lordy it sounds good.

No one's mentioned the AUSTRALIAN VALVE AMPS website yet, so I will.

A nice section on VASE as well, with a pic of my amp (Bassman 80)

can it with the vase yap, teardrop. i haven't got one yet and i don't want the price hyped up til i do!

Yeah, nah. They're really shit.

really? i won't bother getting one then. thanks for saving me all the headache.

This one's currently in the Swop Shop for $800

Goldentone Bassmaster 20 (1965)

Alt text

I like how it says 'Assmaster' on the front.

I tried that Bassmaster 20 out, speaker is fucked and breaks up way too early to do play a gig with it. Would make a beautiful recording amp though if you changed speaker over.

Where do you get valves for these old things? I heard that they use the valves from B&W TV's and you can't really get them now?? True?

Oh, and rigid, how big and heavy is your 40 watter? Usable as a regular gigging machine?

Where do you get valves for these old things?

I reckon kandos would probably be able to answer that question. He probably knows some crusty old guy who has a warehouse full of them.

At Guitar Emporium Melb at the moment. $1250

Alt text

''Goldentone Bassmaster head & box, 60's, white tolex, A good-sounding valve amp.2x12'' speakers.''

autumnleaves said 8 days ago:
Oh, and rigid, how big and heavy is your 40 watter? Usable as a regular gigging machine?

it's not too big, a regular 2x12'' speaker box that's a little big higher to fit the flip-top head that packs away inside it. same as the white one pictured above. it's pretty heavy but more awkward than heavy - there's a design flaw in that the buckles which hold the lid on aren't strong enough, so you can't really carry it by the handle. i might fit some handles on to the sides of the speaker box. i use it for gigs and recording. the recordings sound great i think (it's on songs 2, 3 & 4 here, scuse the plug).

goingblank  said about 5 years ago:

Just picked this guy up from the repair shop. Rescued it out of a relative's garage. Looking forward to testing it out.

thenewmeatloaf  said about 5 years ago:

Friend of mine was selling a Goldentone some years ago and asked me how much they should ask for it. I think I seriously underquoted them....

blindboywily  said about 5 years ago:

*)mine has just gone in for a service reverb 40 head and cab thinking of selling it

Bugsy.  said about 5 years ago:

i found one of these for sale recently i think i might get it what are these worth?

yikes i just bought a 40 watt reverb master on impulse after playing it in the store for about 10 mins.....

kandos  said about 5 years ago:

Where do you get valves for these old things?

if anyone's interested, i have a number of NOS (new old stock) 6DQ6B tubes which are the output tubes for goldentones. i also have a contact in florida who has a large supply of ex-military 6DQ6B tubes.

pm me if you need...

adam  said about 5 years ago:

Can you get me a crate of M16s and some ammo?

adam  said about 5 years ago:

A guy I worked with had one of these and had to sell it cause his kid kept reaching into the back of it. Again, think he sold it for much less that it was worth.

kandos  said about 5 years ago:

M-16s are too coolsie.

a kalashnikov with bayonet...maybe.

blinboywilly did happen to sell yours in melb?

no still in shop blew the output transformer getting it rewound through rock dog in NSW hope to to get it back soon think ill keep it now

Hey kandos how much for the output tubes

i dont care what anyone says my goldentone amp is rad! i just need a nice guitar to go with it now if anyone has a nice vintage guitar that isnt too expensive to sell let me know

just scored 6 --6DQA6.A tubes on eBay and there is another 5 on there if any one is interested look under vintage electronics there has been a lot lately

Hey Bugsy how much did you pay for your goldie is it a combo.

just got my self a BWM KONG 5w amp and its awesome been playing it through my goldies cab sounds great

mine is a 40 watt reverbmaster with seperate head and quad box. i think i paid too much for it.
i went to play it on sunday all i got was a death like squealing noise followed by the smell of electrical components burning...now it is dead :( i only played it about 4 times too

Charles Dumar  said about 5 years ago:

Bugsy, I'll give you $100 for it - cash

$100, surely its worth more than that

i blew mine up hope to get it back tomorrow made the mistake of turning it on with out the speakers plugged in

bummer how much did the repair cost?

bugsy how much did you pay for yours i payed $1200 3 years ago and its worth every cent

also does any know how you can get spray paint and liquid paper removed from the fabric on the speaker box and amp head? the moron who previously owned it spray painted shit all over it and i wanna clean it up

i payed $1200 too

but mine was pretty tatty on the outside

around $150 but i supplied some of the parts

DANNA  said about 5 years ago:

take it to Ian Rumbold. 77 Argyle St Fitzroy. Phone: (03) 9419 3251bugsy. you might have let the ghost out of the machine, but hopefully not, and if you haven't, ian can fix it. he's awesome.

cool thanks danna

mine was a bit that way to but not bad for 40 odd years old

OK Bugsy, you drive a hard sell, $500.

Hmmmm.... i think i'll get it fixed or at least looked at before i consider selling it

keep it they are well worth getting fixed

dude... ac/dc! come on, for that alone you have to keep it!

yes your right! im not selling it

bugsy what speakers are in your cab mine has 2 rola 12u50 thinking of swapping them for 2 loranz vintage green backs they are awesome

Bugsy. said 10 minutes ago:
yes your right! im not selling it

Fools….

Hahahahahahaha!!!!

i think mine has three rola 12 in speakers. one is missing, i'd like to get another to replace the missing one. do you know where you can get these from?

Ron  said about 5 years ago:

Bummer, Bugsy.

If you take it to take it to Ian (mentioned above) he can put in one of the Loranz vintage green back copies (ALSO mentioned above). I know this as he's just put two in my Fi-Sonic. Didn't even charge for labour & I think the speakers were about $120 each.

Sorry for the excess ''take it to''. My head hurts.

i think im gonna have to take it to ian
so its alright to mix up the speakers then?

hyperfuzz  said about 5 years ago:

i bought a rola plessy speaker off ebay recently for $40 bucks but haven't used it. i think it's a c12p... 30 watts, 8 ohms. what are you looking for, specifically?

I don't think it matters but what do I know: I had two hi-fi speakers in my amp for years.

it's alright to mix speakers, as long as you pay homage to ohmage.

Gordon  said about 5 years ago:

Sorry to hijack slightly, but are those Lorantz good. Considered buying them a few times.

im not sure hyperfuzz my amp isnt at home at the moment i'll have to check exactly which speaker are in it would you consider selling it?

are those Lorantz good. Considered buying them a few times.

Mine sound great so far but I haven't given them a proper workout yet. Ian at Sound Developments reckons they're the best around.

yeah, i'd probably sell it. it's been sitting on a desk since i got it. seeing as there's three speakers, i'm not sure about what ohms theyd be... what does it run at at the moment? there's probably a way to wire it up to get your desired impedence, but i'm not sure with speakers of different values...

it's fine to have different speakers in it though, if the impedence is a-okay... it actually can be pretty cool. you don't need to have all plessy, anything of similar wattage and the right ohms would be fine.

cool i have to get the amp home so i can check it out properly

Gordon  said about 5 years ago:

there's probably a way to wire it up to get your desired impedence, but i'm not sure with speakers of different values...

In series RT= R1 + R2 + etc

In Parallel 1/RT = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + etc

eg: 2 x 8 ohm speakers in series = 16Ω

2 x 8 ohm in parallel = 4Ω( 1/8 + 1/8 = 1/4)

get the lorantz vintage green backs they are awesome and they are made in oz. you can get them at Mel music $129 for 30w $139 for 50w 8 or 16 ohms

just put it on ebay i dont care if it sells or not illl just keep it

terrapin  said about 5 years ago:

there is a nice goldentone bassmaster 60 on ebay at the moment for those of you who are interested.

GTMaker  said about 5 years ago:

For all of the GT wanters, I have a 1961 GT In good nik with the original Rola 12 inch and it's orig foot switch for sale.
Hate ebay so i will offer it to the person who has the bucks to get it and ship it.

On another note I am an ex JANDS service tech and this particular model of amp will be reproduced exactly as it was in the coming months.
For those that are seriously interested i will be taking orders but keep in mind there is about a month or 2 prep work before i can produce in volume and get all of the transformers wound as well as the parts....
Only one issue, the ROLA no longer exists so it will come with a Clestion greenback instead ( i think ) but i need to compare the performance

mondotopless  said about 5 years ago:

Hey GT - what do the prices look like?

GTMaker  said about 5 years ago:

things are looking like 700ish dollars at the moment for a 20 watt with a greenback. but that depends on the transformer guys getting the jobby done right and at the right price.
Originally they were fitted with Mullard valves and i have a line on some but i have about a thousand Philips Miniwatt buggers of my dads around somewhere.
the model will be 1778 circa 1959-61 however due to copyright they will not be called a GT but instead called a WOODY.... We dont want to tread on to many toes here so i will favor the side of caution.
Manufacturing will be on tag strip not on a PCB with point to point wiring, in fact the chassis is identical to the millimeter and all of the connectors are the same so in all reality you can swap out this chassis with the orig and not be able to tell the diff except for the Rm and serial badge
See the top amp on this page and you will get the idea

http://ozvalveamps.elands.com/goldentone4.htm#1778

G

Bugsy.  said about 4 years ago:

i need some tubes for my amp, is there anywhere locally i can get some?

astrousersasmind  said about 4 years ago:

Sound Developments; Ian Rumbold. 77 Argyle St Fitzroy. Phone: (03) 9419 3251. He's great.

Bugsy.  said about 4 years ago:

cheers! thats what i was after

Hendrix's Dog  said about 4 years ago:

He's taking the month of January off I believe.

musicalsnob  said about 4 years ago:

Beautiful little 1960 ''Goldentone Soloist'' 2 x 8 combo for sale. Built in tremolo. All original.

More details to follow but pm me if you're interested. Inner Melbourne.

bump! details will be up over the weekend.

bump. offers in advance of $800.

will post pics over the weekend.

[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/zn23wh.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/q0js.jpg[/IMG]