View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister

hiponion  said about 7 years ago  or at  10:30AM on Friday, February 23 2007 in television

While we're talking about wonderful British comedies -

This is up there with my favourite TV series of all time.

Appreciate.

froginasock  said about 7 years ago:

I do appreciate it. For it is good.

aloha  said about 7 years ago:

snoreworthy, but it's alright.

Modi  said about 7 years ago:

Between this and the West Wing, I don't think anyone needs to go to uni to study politics.

sharptooth  said about 7 years ago:

.. in the fullness of time..

that's one that often gets pulled out in conversation with my family

hiponion  said about 7 years ago:

I often pull out that one, sharpie.

I didn't really like Yes Prime Minister quite as much, but it was still utterly terrific.

thedude  said about 7 years ago:

Worksafe...

The delight i get from watching this and Porridge, it just makes me laugh thinking about it...

Nigel Hawthorne as Humphrey - Absolute Gold

Makes the show, really.

And Bernard is just terrific, as well. It was a shame to see him show up on 'Heartbeat' so many years later, for me.

red menace  said about 7 years ago:

i was crazy about this as a kid. I seem to remember one of my earliest career dreams was to be a civil servant. Sir Humphrey was my idol.

Me too, menace. This and Hamish McBeth

aquatic  said about 7 years ago:

Nigel Hawthorne as Humphrey - Absolute Gold

youve gotta love humphrey.. but how loveable is Derek Fowlds as Bernard

red menace  said about 7 years ago:

Ym/YPM and Rumpole owned me.

My dad was a bad influence. It's Rumpole's fault I spent two years studying law.

HEB  said about 7 years ago:

Maggie T's favourite show.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Says a lot....

The Thick Of It is tastier!

angelic_layer  said about 7 years ago:

liked it but I liked 'to the manor born' more

questionmark  said about 7 years ago:

"'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

"Foreign Office Honours: CMG - 'Call Me God'. MCMG - 'Kindly Call Me God'. GCMG - 'God Calls Me God'."

ErsatzMatt  said about 7 years ago:

Between this and the West Wing,

Feh. West Wing's okay, but too quippy. Everyone in DC seems to not have to think before replying to a sparkling, witty, caustic 2 minute question with a nasty bon mot 2 minute answer.

"The surprising things about academics is not that they have their price, but how low that price is."

"It is axiomatic in government that hornets' nests should be left unstirred, cans of worms should remain unopened, and cats should be left firmly in bags and not set among the pigeons. Ministers should also leave boats unrocked, nettles ungrasped, refrain from taking bulls by the horns, and resolutely turn their backs to the music."

"A Civil Service computer strike would bring government to a standstill if it were not for the fact that it is already."

"Foreign policy must be made in the Foreign office. It cannot be left to fools like Fleet Street editors, back-bench MPs and Cabinet Ministers."

"The bench of bishops should have a proper balance between those who believe in God and those who don't."

"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

"An atheist clergyman could not continue to draw his stipend, so when they stop believing in God they call themselves 'modernists'."

"It is our job to tell Select Committees the truth and nothing but the truth. But it would be profoundly inappropriate and grossly irresponsible to tell them the whole truth."

"If Civil Servants did not fight for the budgets of their departments they could end up with departments so small that even the Ministers could run them."

andyr  said about 7 years ago:

I spent my January holidays watching this non-stop. Awesome. :D

sharptooth  said about 5 years ago:

today is a Yes Minister day. such a perfectly written show, with such perfect casting

timewaster  said about 5 years ago:

Best written sitcom ever.

My favourite ever TV show.

moo-core  said about 5 years ago:

Awesome show. Hugely quotable.

sharptooth  said about 2 years ago:

anyone got a promo code or anything for the stage show coming up next year?

louis  said about 2 years ago:

know any Age subscribers sharptooth? they have a discount offer.

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.