View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

job interviews

shhh  said about 7 years ago  or at  11:39PM on Wednesday, February 7 2007 in chat

can't believe we don't have a thread for this most cruel innovation of humankind, the job interview

i have super big important one tomorrow, a lot riding on this

quietly shitting myself

thankyou

goingblank  said about 7 years ago:

You're not leaving the library, are you Shygirl?

gathering storm  said about 7 years ago:

you'll do great! (obligatory cliche reply).

whats the job?

hiponion  said about 7 years ago:

I can't do these. I freeze up. Pretty much the only time I become completely mute.

shhh  said about 7 years ago:

no. on the contrary, i'm trying to stay in it goingblank :(

I rule pretty hard at interviews, as long as i got the skills to back it up and actually give a shit about the job.

ohhh... thats a bit harsh shygirl!

i have got better at them over the years but the first proper one i ever had was a train wreck. took me years to get to the point where i could laugh about it rather than shudder with pain

g_s - it's kind of my current job but new and improved which is why i have to reapply for it. if they give it to someone else i'll be conpletely heartbroken

hence why i keep getting waves of nerves every few minutes

goldfoot  said about 7 years ago:

Worse than a visit to the dentist.

Good luck shygirl.

Lorenzo St Dubois  said about 7 years ago:

Wipey started the best ever job interview thread on Mono or the old M+N. He should dig it up and re-post it here.

no. 1 REBA fan  said about 7 years ago:

I had one today. I don't think I will get it because my uni clashes with the times.

Lorenzo St Dubois  said about 7 years ago:

shygirl said 1 minute ago
i have got better at them over the years but the first proper one i ever had was a train wreck. took me years to get to the point where i could laugh about it rather than shudder with pain

Did you fart?

well, I can only suggest that you make clear the point that youve been in the position for such a long time and who else would have that kind of specific experience?

best of luck!

haha no, not that bad i guess rigid but i do remember telling the panel that "i'm not a suck" - not very professional

thanks goldfoot

i generally get a job because i'm good at what i do. not because i interview well.

and if you're good at what you do you generally stand a better chance of interviewing well

yeah but if you're a stuttering mess in an interview, and eloquent any other time, it's a problem

thegirlwhocrieddave  said about 7 years ago:

good luck tomorrow shygirl.

xx

jimmytrash  said about 7 years ago:

I couldnt possibly imagine anyone getting the wrong idea about you shygirl, but maybe you can voice to do the interview via a message board?

worksafe: completely agree. sometimes the nerves of anticipation absolutely get the better of you, no matter how hard you psyche yourself up. i have toughened up a lot with practise thankfully but i generally feel like my soul is on a chopping block during interviews.

thanks girlwho :)

jt - if only. haha

it's only in job interviews.

performance reviews, interviews with the boss of my work, etc - i'm fine. smooth sailing. no nerves whatsoever.

View Comments 20 to 494

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

ladyelle  said about 2 years ago:

Just found out it's an all-day workshop. No idea what

Ghostface  said about 2 years ago:

Face to face customer service or a call centre type deal?

Coz if it's the latter I would RUN

But if it's the former I WOULD RUUUUUUNNN

..to expect.

Sorry, on mob. Finger slipped.

I heard they are kinda training us, which is a kinda odd thing to do if we're not already hired, yeah? Heard this second hand.

Should I prepare anything or just wing it?

Call centre...

puke_spit_and_guts  said about 2 years ago:

''I've got a few more people to interview, but I'll call you and let you know''

that was now 5 weeks ago. should I give up hoping now, or hang on a bit longer?

checkers  said about 2 years ago:

I would email them asking if they've made a decision regarding the position yet. They're going to say someone else got it, but at least you can make them feel bad about not doing what they promised.

puke_spit_and_guts  said about 2 years ago:

I prefer to feel superior by waiting for them to keep their word.

in this case the word seems to be ''bastards''.

puke_spit_and_guts  said about 1 year ago:

''Convinent Sydney location, only 5 minutes from Green Sqaure station.''

what sort of poeple does this ad expect to attract?

Sunnyboyz  said about 1 year ago:

shiiiiit, I just had one these and I was nervously talking so much. It started as a skype interview, then skype failed so it switched to a phone interview...

And now I'm feeling anxious, but I think I did okay.

It's for a job that would be a great experience/career starter, but its based in Sydney so I'd have to move. And now I'm thinking I might not want to move, but then I hear stories of how hard it is to get jobs anymore, and so it would probably be a wise option... But I dont even know if I've got it, so I'm worrying about why I'm worrying, I haven't done this years.

I need a beer, or a joint.

Well, now you've got me MORE worried, tugz.

See, the screen froze on skype so I couldnt see them, but chances are they could see me still.... OH GOD, I HOPE MY FACE DIDNT SPASM.

losgauchos  said about 1 year ago:

I've been through this humiliating ritual too many times these last few months. Soul destroying.

Ghostface  said about 1 year ago:

Hang in there y'all!

Well, I killed it, so much that they flew down to Sydney for another interview. But I'm still getting nervey about whether I wanna relocate to Sydney... It's too good an offer to refuse, but the gf ain't keen on movin and I ain't keen on long distancin'.

And she's rad, super rad.

Is living in Sydney alright? It's really not that far to Melbourne... I don't know what to do.

I find out early next week whether I've got it. Shiiiiit!

charlesincharge  said about 1 year ago:

just get a new girlfriend

sonian  said about 1 year ago:

Yesterday I was prepared for an interview but it turned out to be ''this is the project. It's two salary scales higher than what you're on now. We'll have your contract ready for you to start next Tuesday.''

Ok!

beaker  said about 1 year ago:

That's pretty sweet sonian,

I had an interview for a job in Melbourne a few weeks ago. Got offered the job, plus another job with the same company in Bendigo for more money. And we'd always planned to move to Bendigo down the track. I pretty much got offered the most perfect job I could imagine, without even looking for it or applying for it.

Let's move to the country!

sonian  said about 1 year ago:

Woah, beaker! That's a company offering you your dreamz

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.