View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Jagermeister

anonymous  said about 7 years ago  or at  2:39PM on Sunday, January 28 2007 in stupidity

Prost! City drinkers say 'Ja' to the Jager trend

Michael Lallo
January 28, 2007

In his 10 years in the bar industry, Phil Anderson has never seen a phenomenon like Jagermeister.

"A year ago, we would have been lucky to get through one bottle a month," said the owner of Bond Lounge in Melbourne's CBD. "Now we go through 12 bottles a week."

A hefty increase, considering one bottle holds up to 23 serves. So how did Jagermeister, meaning master of the hunt, become the hottest drink in town?

It's all thanks to a concoction known as the "Jager bomb". Customers mix it themselves by dropping a shot of the liqueur — glass and all — into a tumbler of Red Bull energy drink.

"Everyone loves it because the caffeine in the Red Bull gives you a kick," said 22-year-old Jacinta Gravina. "And the Jagermeister goes down really easily."

A Jager bomb is seldom savoured. "You drop the shot glass in and then skol it straight away," Ms Gravina said.

Her friend Cami James, 20, agrees. "You have it as a shot between other drinks. It's fun because you do it at the bar with your mates."

The cocktail has also become the subject of drinking games. "It becomes a race," said Sam Kitch, 20.

Anton Winter, owner of Rust Cocktail Lounge, in Fitzroy, believes the popularity of energy drinks such as Red Bull is behind the Jager bomb's swift rise.

"It's 100 per cent riding on the coat-tails of the energy drinks," he said. "People used to mix them with vodka; now they do it with Jagermeister." Mr Winter said his bar typically served more than 100 Jager bombs on a busy night, making it the third-most-popular drink behind beer and vodka.

But not everyone considers Jagermeister a fad. Gerald Kircher, bar manager of German Club Tivoli, said it had always been popular with his customers — albeit served in the traditional fashion. "Ice-cold and straight," he said.

"Not this Jager bomb thing that the young people like." Jagermeister was first imported to Australia in 1990 — 55 years after its launch in Germany — but remained relatively unknown until the Jager bomb craze took off. Devotees describe the taste of the 35 per cent alcohol liqueur as "sweet" or "medicinal". The ingredients are a closely guarded secret, although its manufacturers say it contains "56 herbs, fruits, woods, barks and roots from all over the world".

Jagermeister's Australian distributor said sales had jumped 400 per cent during the past two years, making it one of the fastest-growing liqueurs in the country.

But the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre has warned that popular new drinks such as Jager bombs present unique health risks.

Spokesman Paul Dillon said the sweet taste encouraged excessively quick drinking, while the caffeine in the energy drinks created a false sense of alertness.

"The real issue is people slamming shots," he said. "It's a dangerous pattern of drinking."

anonymous  said about 7 years ago:

poor josejones, not mentioned once.

time for the backlash?

cognacbombs!

empra  said about 7 years ago:

"Now we go through 12 bottles a week."

Isn't that the bit about JoseJones?

number none  said about 7 years ago:

A lot better than the Black sambucca and coopers red conccotion that me and a friend tried to popularise back in the mid 90s

yokesthetenth  said about 7 years ago:

i say bring on the backlash

it's great stuff but the're sponsoring triple m rock festivals things now

IT'S OVAH!!

svelteslacks  said about 7 years ago:

i've never had a jager bomb.

charlesincharge  said about 7 years ago:

so how many people ask for 'jagger master' these days?

hand hell  said about 7 years ago:

Hang on sveltes....what was that stuff we had at the Afterdark? It was da bomb alright....

getting bleepy  said about 7 years ago:

A blatant advertorial from the Sunday Age...

Charles  said about 7 years ago:

Devil's brew, this stuff....really creeps up on you after a few shots.

Temet  said about 7 years ago:

Jagerbomb is so yesterday. It's all about the Jaggerbomb now - same thing, but you drink it with pursed lips.

boom tish

Springolator  said about 7 years ago:

And then there's those weirdos who drink it with coke...ahem...

blake3030  said about 7 years ago:

I tried it with Sasparilla once because I was certain they tasted identical from memory.

Can't remember whether it worked or not, but I haven't had it again since.

Next: Portello and Jager!

runaredlight!  said about 7 years ago:

i was told by a pub in geelong (haha) that they were out of jager, an so too was everywhere else in geelong. bullshit i tell ya! especially when somebody was buying me them!

the jager site has lots of citrus based drinks, ie jager and fanta.

i did, but i got thrown by the umlaut's.

damn umlauts.

blake3030  said about 7 years ago:

the jager site has lots of citrus based drinks, ie jager and fanta.

It's not great with Orange Juice.

juicenewton*  said about 7 years ago:

ah. so that's what they're called?

juicenewton*  said about 7 years ago:

....maybe that's what jager and portello could be named, " I'll have an Umlaut thanks".

Pal  said about 7 years ago:

I quite like Jagermeister from the fridge. I have indulged in the odd Jagerbomb on the odd night out. I am a little sruprised the backalsh has been so long coming.

View Comments 20 to 54

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

annehelena  said about 7 years ago:

Nah, we'll make Johnny pay. He's the star.

thedude  said about 7 years ago:

hopefully he can buy a jacket first rather then borrow all of mine!

fun times here we come!

It's a date.

montyclift  said about 7 years ago:

ok, juust making a list...

how many hookers, how many grams of coke?

17 hookers, 42 grams?

montyclift  said about 7 years ago:

ambitious...

Innuendous...

Thread-jacking: over.

thedude  said about 7 years ago:

only 42 grams....

lets do it on a wednesday then we can maybe smuggle some free jager down parramatta road

Rad!

JohnnyV  said about 7 years ago:

Well aren't you three getting cosy...

To get back on topic, Jager in Germany is as cheap as beer, which is also cheap. This is especially the case in East Berlin, where the scars of communism still run deep. Those folks must like to obliterate themselves from their socio-economic conundrum on a regular basis.. Legends..

Well, it was nice to see thedude again.

We'll all be even more cosy in the Stiletto Bar. Oh yeah, you're paying for it, by the way.

1/2 glass of Smirnoff mix/Ruski equivalent
half shot of blue caracao
half shot of cointreau

Drop into glass, skol. Voila.

Yum.

Tastes like a lemonade icy pole.

CrakTheBarbarian  said about 6 years ago:

drinking way thru a bottle of jager now. its joy.
It is similar in taste to Gameldansk i reckon...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gameldansk

jimmytrash  said about 6 years ago:

meaning ''master of the hunt''

Those fucking retards.

moo-core  said about 6 years ago:

I wanna try Gameldansk. I'ma look for it sometime.

Rorge  said about 6 years ago:

Want a REAL drink from Austria? Get this stuff into ya...

Smells like petrol and will strip the lining from your guts. Awesome.

Modi  said about 6 years ago:

Had some stuff called (I think) Bergfeuer. That was potent stuff.

moo-core  said about 6 years ago:

Gah. I'll try this stuff for curiousity's sake (and quick drunkeness) but I tend to draw the line at homemade Rakija. Maybe 60-65%

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.