View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

The Keith Moon Thread

Lucydiamond  said about 7 years ago  or at  10:10AM on Friday, January 12 2007 in music

I DAFSFFS...

There's no thread for Keith Moon!

Did you know that the character 'Animal' in the Muppets was based on Keith?

Post your thoughts here...

doyle  said about 7 years ago:

what a dude, terrible drunk though.

Anyone see the footage of him pouring beer all over norman gunston? Nasty.

Great drummer though.

PaulsGrandfather  said about 7 years ago:

He was rad.

This is my favourite picture:

nicko_mcbrain  said about 7 years ago:

best rock drummer ever, IMHO, factoring in sound, musicality/style, aesthetic, personality, influence and sheer charisma. i'm sure many will disagree, but he's gotta be in the all-time top three or so, for me.

Lucydiamond  said about 7 years ago:

His drumming style is fucking amazing, isn't it?

I was watching a DVD of The Who playing the Isle of Wight last night.

He was the most entertaining member of the band to watch.

looch  said about 7 years ago:

yeah agreed nm.......

What year is that from LD

nicko_mcbrain  said about 7 years ago:

never seen another drummer who could sound so amazingly 'on it' while looking so psycho/unco...

On a girly note, he was absolutely adorable, too.

I just want to hug him...

1970, I think Looch.

I was saying while we were watching it, I would give anything to have been at that festival.

The fact that it was 5 years before I was born is neither here nor there!

poprocks96  said about 7 years ago:

he is fucking awesome and yes i did know that animal was based on him.

i reckon he was manic depressive.

THis might sound like a strange comment...... but KM was one of the few drumers who could hit crash cymbal without hitting the kick drum at the same time - and get away with it. He created some amazing cymbal washes doing that.

I love the way he twirls his drum stick as he hits the cymbal...

And the way that he will throw a drumstick in the air, watch it twirl, catch it and then carry on drumming as though the stick hadn't left his hand at all. Such an entertainer.

PaulsGrandfather  said about 7 years ago:

Lucydiamond

And the way that he will throw a drumstick in the air, watch it twirl, catch it and then carry on drumming as though the stick hadn't left his hand at all.

Yep. Love it.

Godzilla  said about 7 years ago:

We (the who) went to Georgia, where they sell fireworks, and they sell these things called cherry bombs, and one day I (Pete) was in his (Keith's) room and his door knocker was all black like he’d been putting these things in and I said ‘Could I use your bog?’ and he smiled and said ‘Sure.’ I went in there and there was no toilet, just sort of an S bend, and I thought ‘Christ, what happened?’

he said ‘Well this cherry bomb was about to go off in me hand and I threw it down the toilet to stop it going off.’ So I said ‘Are they that powerful?’ and he said ‘Yeah, it’s incredible.’

So I said ‘How many of ‘em have you got?’ with fear in me eyes. He said ‘Five hundred,’ and opened up a case full to the top with cherry bombs.

And of course from that moment on we got thrown out of every hotel we ever stayed in. The Holiday Inns were phoning round saying ‘Don’t let this group in – they blow up the hotels.’

oort  said about 7 years ago:

Animal - muppet = cross between Moon and Fleetwood

MOON IS KING

Reverb  said about 7 years ago:

notes down... cherry bombs... toilet... holiday inn...

Clive  said about 7 years ago:

When i was an 8 years old guitarist and trying to form my first band, i just assumed every drummer played like Keith Moon (having grown up hearing The Who almost everyday)
i was sorely disappointed with my discovery that i was so very wrong

Godzilla, that's fucking hilarious.

HEB  said about 7 years ago:

Mike Myers Will Play Keith Moon
Source: Variety September 30, 2005

Mike Myers will star as The Who's drummer Keith Moon in an untitled feature being developed by Spitfire Pictures, says Variety. Roger Daltrey is producing with Spitfire's Nigel Sinclair. Bill Gerber also is producing.

Daltrey and Sinclair have worked on the Moon project on and off for about 10 years, but the film will be on a fast track and a director will be set shortly.

Moon's penchant for destroying drum sets while bandmate Pete Townshend smashed his guitars helped to forge The Who's rebellious image. Moon was just as wild offstage and the lunacy nearly overshadowed an instinctive power drumming skill that fueled The Who. The hard living caught up to Moon, who died in 1978.

Myers last appeared onscreen in Dr. Seuss' The Cat in the Hat and as the voice of Shrek in Shrek 2.

angelic_layer  said about 7 years ago:

he's cool

I like Mitch Mitchell better but.

View Comments 20 to 150

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

Lucydiamond  said about 4 years ago:

I'm trying to find it, happydays. Apparently there is mention of it on the Internet somewhere but I can't find it now. I'll keep looking.

we were watching Keith Moon, recently deceased, being wheeled out of a hotel and into oblivion.

Fucking hell!

happydays  said about 4 years ago:

yeah i did a pretty big search online... cant find anything on it.
i also didnt realise how far away it was. still, i think i need to make the trek. would love to interview his sister too...

bigs  said about 4 years ago:

http://theselvedgeyard.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/aabt001747.jpg?w=600&h=405
http://theselvedgeyard.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/2215368775_8f17ea832e_o.jpg?w=600&h=553

bigs  said about 4 years ago:

bugger.

poprocks96  said about 4 years ago:

SallySimpson  said about 4 years ago:

I'm quite tempted to buy this floor tom wrap on ebay

SallySimpson  said about 4 years ago:

Holy fuckballs!

It went for GBP 411.99...

Needless to say I wasn't the winning bidder...

keithmoonmovie  said about 3 years ago:

Hey everyone. I just read a statement from Roger Daltrey that the Keith Moon movie that was planned to be released in 2012 is currently stalled. I was so disappointed about this that I created a petition to see if we can generate some buzz to help get this back on track.

Please sign the petition to get this Keith Moon project rolling again at:

http://keithmoonmovie.com/petition/

This is not spam (This site actually cost me money). Please sign this petition and I will make sure we get it in front of the powers that be.

bk

iamthewalrus  said about 3 years ago:

Is it really a great idea though? It would just turn Keith into a caricature, especially with Mike Myers (as Rog has stated).

Jason or Robert Schwartzman should be the lead.

Never thought of it that way and it might easily come to that. However, If done right, it could be great. I would hate to see it become a poor reflection but I would not mind a brutally honest portrayal that shows the good as well as the bad.

Also, please dont forget to sign my petition to keep the movie going:

http://keithmoonmovie.com/petition/

Ron  said about 3 years ago:

However, If done right, it could be great

But obviously it isn't being done right (according to Roger anyway) so this doesn't make any sense. Why don't you start a petition to get Coldplay to do a record of Keith Moon covers? It will suck but at least it will exist, right?

SallySimpson  said about 3 years ago:

I'm quite tempted to buy this floor tom wrap on ebay

Fuck, I wish I'd bought this.

Ron  said about 3 years ago:

SallySimpson  said about 3 years ago:

The floor tom wrap was an original.

Would have looked so good, framed, on my wall.

There's always this bass drum head

Not an original, either, though.

moke  said about 9 months ago:

Listening to Both Sides Of The Moon. It really is awesome, not as a great record, but just sums up Keith so well.

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.