View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Wheat/Gluten Intolerance

VoxFuzz  said about 7 years ago  or at  12:05PM on Thursday, December 28 2006 in chat

Who has or knows someone who has this? Any tips? Any foods it's secretly hidden it? There's not a whole lot about it on the 'net.

manchild  said about 7 years ago:

my gf has it. she can't have anything with sugar either. are you intolerant?

michael_horse  said about 7 years ago:

yah, i have a friend who don't mix well with wheat ... she used to vom so much

but i think she's slowly gotten over it ... i think the docs told her to just keep eating it in small portions, and build up an immunity to it or something, i forget

either way, i don't think she spews as much now

flobs  said about 7 years ago:

look up coeliac disease - there's masses of stuff (my Mum had it).

loveisafist  said about 7 years ago:

i'm not supposed to eat wheat/gluten/glucose stuff, but that's coz i have reactive hypoglycemia. maybe try searching for hypoglycemia or coeliac-related websites?

poprocks96  said about 7 years ago:

there has been a real increase in teh number of people diagnosed with this over the past few years.

SheikYerbouti  said about 7 years ago:

My wife can't have wheat - other gluten is ok. 2 friends are coeliacs with no yeast either!

Vox is it just wheat or all gluten they can't have? if its just wheat, hit me with your questions, we've overcome it easily!

The tip: spelt bread.

scissors  said about 7 years ago:

edna1  said about 7 years ago:

to test for coelicas they have to put a tube down yer throat- not fun. wheat is pretty much in everything too so it's a bit of a bummer to have it - the plus side is that all the carbs in wheat make you keep weight on(!). if you go to the spc or ardmona factory near shep they sell that gluggy wheat free spagghetti for about a quarter of the price you get it at in the city- it tastes pretty ordinary though.

anonymous  said about 7 years ago:

b-r-e-a-d

VoxFuzz  said about 7 years ago:

my gf has it. she can't have anything with sugar either. are you intolerant?

I think so. Apparently to test in the first instance you have to cut out wheat and then re-introduce it to see the effect. I don't think it's as extreme as coeliac's, but it's definitely a wheat reaction. I'm trying to work out exactly where it is (the less obvious foods) in order to cut it out and make a proper judgement. It's an odd thing to be fine with it for years and years and over time develop some problem with it. Stupid body.

jimmytrash  said about 7 years ago:

scissors has a wee posting problem i think.

poprocks96  said about 7 years ago:

what happens ? i used to work with this guy who would bloat out until he resembled a nine month pregnant woman. was freaky.

tails  said about 7 years ago:

Ask Me: I'm a coeliac

Inactivist  said about 7 years ago:

Go the tee-shirt, tails?

I'm with stupid

VoxFuzz  said about 7 years ago:

Bloating and nausea are the worst things, Pops.

Tails - what foods have wheat or gluten that might not be so obvious? Bread, pasta and wheat breakfast cereals seem obvious, but what else?

fr3ky  said about 7 years ago:

coelicas they have to put a tube down yer throat
a simple blood test will suffice these days. had one done not long ago.

im mildly coeliac, eating a rye sandwich right now. Cant do dairy and some vegetables either..
i wont die if i do eat em but i feel like im having a man period and feel really lethargic for a few days.
i had to eat cheese fondue (essentially just cheese, milk and bread, this food is my arch nemesis) to not be rude to my swiss gf's folks once. it killed me for the next 3 weeks!

theres a bakery in brunswick or northcote (not sure which) called silly-yak (yeah i know) that do all sorts of good breads & cakes and stuff.
Rice noodles, corn and rice pasta, rice and rye bread, soy cheese and yoghurt (hard to find any good stuff), soy milk, soy ice cream, rolled oats, rolled rye etc are all good alternatives to the wheaty milky stuff.

remember, jsut cos its called rye bread doesnt mean that its not got wheat in it. read the ingredients!

manchild  said about 7 years ago:

a lot of processed food has gluten or wheat... but check your health food section of the supermarket, or go to special health food shops and you can pick up special pastas, bread and breakfast cereal... we ar also quite fond or the gluten and wheat free pancake mix! but expect to pay up to 3 times as much as regular stuff for them.

Anything with glucose: Beer :( Lots of Spirits, oats, Thickeners ie 1422 (Wheat Starch) Colour 102: made with wheat I think.. Soy Sauce, some soy milks.. Lots of commercial foods that are thickened.
Chocolate bars (mars, but not snickers) Anything with Malt.. The list can go on..

Inactivist  said about 7 years ago:

Stop eating.

View Comments 20 to 127

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

Lozenge  said about 3 years ago:

thanks for the advice n' link

postergirl  said about 3 years ago:

Also, no beer if you are on a full gluten-free diet (because of the barley malt).

cries

tugboat  said about 3 years ago:

Things with hidden gluten: some miso, most soy sauce, some soymilk..

louis  said about 3 years ago:

tabasco sauce too! (i just learnt that last night and am still in shock)

damn it all!

louis said 23 minutes ago:
tabasco sauce too! (i just learnt that last night and am still in shock)

Nah. Tabasco is gluten-free.

''Distilled vinegar is produced by fermenting a grain based alcohol. The principal grains used to produce the alcohol are wheat and milo. Gluten and other proteins are completely removed during the alcohol fermentation and distillation process.''

Whisky is also gluten-free.

louis  said about 3 years ago:

i'll tell my coeliac cousin then. he's been avoiding it.

Things with hidden gluten:

Some miso (barley)
Most soy sauce (flour)
Some soymilk (barley)
Some tomato paste/BBQ sauce (flour)
Most Laksa paste (flour)
Most fresh Chinese rice noodle (flour)
Most buckwheat noodle (Most of them are not 100% buckwheat!)
Almost all mock meat (wheat gluten, motherfucker!)

rawr  said about 1 year ago:

On doctor's orders to avoid gluten at the moment and it's FUCKING HARD.

I'm getting pretty sick of subsisting on salads and I miss soy sauce and beer and pretty much everything. Except bread. Never liked bread anyway.

Wah wah etc.

also

Whisky is also gluten-free.

This is excellent news!

toadphoney  said about 1 year ago:

There are heaps and heaps of gluten free soy sauces. Traditional brewing didn't include wheat/flour and I think it only goes in as a thickener.

Keep it real, dogs.

fzchk  said about 1 year ago:

Lucky me, mild wheat and soy intolerance.

Good thing I like meat and greens.

soula  said about 1 year ago:

try eating more beans, chickpeas and lentil. assuming you are vego/vegan rawr.

there are wraps too which you can get that are gluten free which helps fill you up. haven't tried the gluten free lasagne sheets yet.

you can drink vodka too.

oh and corn chips, but only plain ones as flavored once have crap in it.

tugboat  said about 1 year ago:

rawr, what's your condition?

O'Brien GF beer is pretty good.
Mrs Tugboat doesn't drink beer anyway.
Soysauce, Pure Harvest's GF one is cheaper than the Sprial Food ones.
The cheapest one is Chang's. you can get it from Sydney Rd IGA or GF shops.

pennylane  said about 1 year ago:

Asian beer, i.e Asahi is generally gluten free, no?

No

rawr  said about 1 year ago:

thanks for the tips everyone. no diagnosis as yet, so i may not be off it forever.

thankfully corn tortillas exist and the restaurant downstairs does a killer lentil soup.

Rawr, if you are going to do the blood test, you need to keep eating gluten (or the test will not be correct).

I am not coeliac but I do all the cooking to feed my coeliac wife. If you need help, PM me away.
Or have a look at our blog: http://inthemoodfornoodles.blogspot.com/

You can only really test for coeliac, right? A doctor I saw years ago 'tested' me for lactose intolerance and found nothing, yet drinking cows milk makes me bloated and ill. After years of drinking soy instead, I can't drink that either. Hopefully almond milk lasts the distance. Best way to find intolerances is to stop eating! Once I cut back to veggies and meat I felt fine and now when I eat something I can feel the effects. I can't even eats some fruit. This is mostly stress induced.

So testing foods also helps work out how badly it effects you and you can choose to eat it or not. Anything with wheat makes me sleepy which was a not so nice surprise.

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.