View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

clark - body riddle

dub3000  said about 7 years ago  or at  10:35AM on Wednesday, December 27 2006 in music news

album on warp records, out a couple of months ago, just got it.

sounds like boards of canada + squarepusher + aphex twin but feels way better than anything any of those kids have done in years.

funky as hell in bits, too.

anyone else heard this?

scissors  said about 7 years ago:

awesome. awesome to the max.

those interested should also check out the free downloads. these include a broadcast "reinterpretation" of 'herr barr'. both versions are excellent.

dub3000  said about 7 years ago:

just got them yesterday... what else has he done that i should get? is 'throttle clark' good (is it digital download only?)

i still love this album x 1000

the ted ep is great, too

raven  said about 7 years ago:

Yep those downloads are great, as is Ted EP! Album is one of the best Warp releases in recent times (along with Bttls of course).

i can't find any of his other stuff around, though. and i'm scared of warpmart. bad things happen to me on there.

puretokyo  said about 7 years ago:

i agree, body riddle is super. his first album is incredible, i got it when it came out and everyone assumed he was just an alias for one of the autechre boys or something. called 'clarence park', killer. 'ceramics is the bomb', the second album, isn't as good as 1 or 3

Hazard_Man  said about 7 years ago:

Check JB bargain bins . . . when Creative lost Warp to Inertia, they got rid of all their excess stock to JBs, and I picked up both previous Chris Clark albums for hella cheap!!

dub3000  said about 6 years ago:

like kid606 mixed with aphex twin, except much much better

Hazard_Man  said about 6 years ago:

Anyone heard 'Truncation Horn' of the new album? What IS that guitar sample towards the beginning?? It sounds like INXS or something of that era.

refuses to listen to leaks

ten days to go...

'turning dragon' is still great. took a while to get into it though, you don't get ''bassdrum is the hook'' all that often. holds up months later though.

actually, every single damn thing he's put out is super. i ended up getting all the old releases off bleep.com.

and! also! the pivot remix he did! omg!

dub3000  said about 5 years ago:

oooooo... new stuff.

Clark has raised the bar and delivered us some of his biggest club tracks to date in the form of a new EP due March 23rd entitled 'Growl's Garden'!

Expect a killer mix of styles between Body Riddle's rich depth and some more slamming tracks a la Turning Dragon. It also sees Clark integrating the use of an otherwordly vocal line in the title track for the first time!

''Clark has forged his best record EVER... This is the sound of Clark having fun. And it's the best dance music we’ve heard in 2009. Simple.'' Clash Magazine

Hazard_Man  said about 5 years ago:

Better than Turning Dragon? Can't wait!!!

body riddle is better than turning dragon (even though that's still awesome)

and yeah, very very very excited. usually he puts out an ep only a little while before an album.

i went on a bleepmart spree yesterday and picked up the new EP (and 'empty the bones of you' as well). new one is good but might take a few listens. 'empty the bones of you' is great though.

the breakdown halfway through the first song on 'empty the bones of you' is pretty classic.

trafficsounds  said about 5 years ago:

new one is good but might take a few listens.

yep. though i seem to not make it beyond the first half much....

the second half is where it all happens!

i don't feel stupid posting here over and over again

'the magnet mine': bangin'

View Comments 20 to 55

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

trafficsounds  said about 4 years ago:

supposed to be on sale this week but i still don't see the link. bah, has anyone got tix to the new guernica show yet? WANT.

dub3000  said about 4 years ago:

got my ticket

dub3000  said about 4 years ago:

That was amaaazing

untold/animals  said about 2 years ago:

Seems to be touring. Melbourne show at Revolt on Tues 24 Apr, other shows in other cities. Saw a contemporary dance piece with his music in it recently, which piques my interest in this tour.

dub3000  said about 2 years ago:

woo!

k2  said about 2 years ago:

Awesome

migamiga  said about 2 years ago:

there's a cute 30 minute mix of his on here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01dmdc9

but hurry up - it expires end of day.

migamiga  said about 2 years ago:

gets going half way thru programme btw...you'll figure it out.

raven  said about 2 years ago:

Any of you kids know set times for next Saturday? I'm hoping it's not a really late one...

dub3000  said about 2 years ago:

from memory, last sydney one (at the same venue?) was crazy late

The Melbourne one is pretty early because it's at Revolt, starts at six and is probably done by eleven or twelve. Pretty excited after listening to the amazing keyboard manipulation of 'Herr Bar' again.

Listening to a bunch of his tunes on YouTube at work. The drum programming is so mega. It's going to be a really great gig!

Urquhart Bluff  said about 2 years ago:

So Clark will obviously be on about 10 or 11 then u/a?

I guess so. Do the promoters post here? I can't remember. When I went to see Onra it was about that time though.

raven  said about 2 years ago:

from memory, last sydney one (at the same venue?) was crazy late

Dunno if it was same venue. But it was lots of DJs and shit. This time it's advertised as support from Bon Chat Bon Rat, so I'm thinking maybe it's more like a band gig than a late-night DJ club night...

Well, it was pretty bad.

Zaphod  said about 2 years ago:

Do tell. I was thinking of going.

Event blurb:

Clark's live show promises to be a full audio and visual experience, with his brand new live show featuring live modular synth and an extraordinary visuals courtesy of Julian House/Ghostbox (Prodigy/Stereolab/Broadcast).

The sound lacked any of the subtlety of his records, but retained the tendency to devolve every song into digitally clipped mush. Sounded very testosterone-driven and unmelodic most of the time. I really wanted to like what I was hearing, but most of the time it was kind of generic and boring. I guess I just shouldn't really expect to hear anything nuanced in a club setting.

To be fair, he appeared to be having some pretty annoying and persistent trouble with his modular synth, which he apparently blew up fifteen minutes into the set. He spent a lot of time unplugging things and getting someone to come and look at it. Unfortunately, when he took a break from appearing to control things to attend to these issues, nothing much changed about the music. It ruined the sense that we were really watching anything live happen.

Maybe all the magic was meant to happen with the modular, but honestly I can't see where there was even space in the mix for it. It would have been a case of plopping ''modular synth sounds'' over whatever was already kind of boring me. Maybe it would have been amazing? Also, the ''extraordinary visuals'' were extraordinarily underwhelming. Even the supports' visuals, some of which were woeful, were overall probably better.

All that said, you should probably still go. It's not really fair of me to judge this guy based on what he would probably say was a pretty terrible show himself. Just hope he got his modular synth fixed, and don't be afraid to shut your eyes.

JPS were excellent as support. Really wanted to catch Sarah Phelan's set but it was too early and migraine takes precedence.

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.