View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Girls (HBO) TV Show

venompstinger  said about 2 years ago  or at  9:44PM on Monday, April 16 2012 in television

Girls (HBO)

Follows the lives of a small group of friends in their 20s trying to chart their lives in New York City.

The premise sounds awful but the 1st ep is pretty well executed.

Created by a talented lass called Lena Dunham (you may have seen her movie called Tiny Furniture).

I think it is worth a look!

CaptainHowdy  said about 2 years ago:

whitegirlproblems

LoadMyRig  said about 2 years ago:

please tell me it's written by dudes.

(mostly) written by lena dunham. often directed by lena dunham too.

i started doing some reseach on lena durham and then in the middle of her being on the irish dude's talk show i got bored.

anok  said about 2 years ago:

thanks for reminding me about this vps. david bean cooley was raving like a dipshit about it the other day on NPR. downloading!

ocelotl  said about 2 years ago:

Well it's all in the writing isn't it? I mean, ''Follows the lives of a small group of friends in their 20s trying to chart their lives in New York City'' says more or less nothing. I'll try to assume too much about the fact that Judd Apatow is an executive producer and wrote a bit.

• try not to assume too much

rawr  said about 2 years ago:

yeah, i heard some twitter raves about it today. downloadin'.

chickenchops  said about 2 years ago:

The girl on girl nudity is a man's touch. PS, Apatow, girls don't sit naked in their bathtubs eating cupcakes while their hot best friend looks on.

This being said, I related to a bunch of it. Apart from her being financially supported by her parents (we have Youth Allowance in this country) and her ugly tattoos. Ouch. My misspent youth.

The girl on girl nudity is a man's touch. PS, Apatow, girls don't sit naked in their bathtubs eating cupcakes while their hot best friend looks on.

this could actually be lena's schtick. there's a scene in tiny furniture where dunham's character shaves her legs in the shower while her sister reads her a poem.

PaulsGrandfather  said about 2 years ago:

chickenchops

Apatow, girls don't sit naked in their bathtubs eating cupcakes while their hot best friend looks on.

Speak for yourself. I'm currently sitting in a bathtub full of cupcakes, eating cupcakes. My best friend is also a cupcake.

Bowie  said about 2 years ago:

Can't be bothered.

Apatow, girls don't sit naked in their bathtubs eating cupcakes while their hot best friend looks on.

that is totally dumham's touch.

dunham damnit. i'm the dumham, clearly.

Hmm, so CaptainHowdy, seems they're in the office of Melville House Books. That's some way hip product placement.

YOUR HAM IS DUM ANOK

definitely  said about 2 years ago:

Speak for yourself.

I'm female and in my early 30s. In my 20s I shared many a bath with female friends (we were usually stoned, which could have led to cupcake eating) and it wasn't odd for us to talk to each other whilst on the toilet either.

I still don't really have any qualms about friends seeing me naked - like if I have to quickly change a shirt or something - but I know some friends who'd be kinda prudish about that sort of thing too. People are different!

definitely  said about 2 years ago:

Also, I enjoyed the first episode. Looking forward to more.

Zosia Mamet was the total anti-Joyce (her character in Mad Men) in this too.

OK so the jury is divided on the bath/cupcake issue. But these stories are getting a bit 1800-HOTTALK. Tell me more about these friendly cupcake baths.

View Comments 20 to 1037

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

outerspacextrapnel  said about 4 months ago:

She looks very mannish.

outerspacextrapnel  said about 4 months ago:

No Peter Pan-ish as I guess they're trying to do.

anok  said 19 days ago:

bump 4 tonight (i think?)

Arthurly  said 19 days ago:

yep - just had a look over at eztv

unvisible  said 18 days ago:

New episode is up.

anok  said 18 days ago:

fuck, marnie and that awful dude are so gross. i had to leave the room when they were on stage (again), which felt like 2/3 of the episode.

slothman  said 18 days ago:

anyone else pick up on the super troopers ''biker'' reference? a super classic gag.

mrmagoo  said 18 days ago:

Elijah still the best thing going in this show

agreed anok, the Marnie/Desi thing does have a gross feel to it, especially what they were doing in the kitchen!

anok  said 18 days ago:

agree re: elijah.

outerspacextrapnel  said 18 days ago:

It felt like none of the characters had any depth. It's like they're caricatures spinning around themselves. i.e. Marnie is in many ways despicable. Elijah is a snappy, catty queen (incidentally the funniest character on the show). Jessa is a selfish so and so. It feels to underheated. Where's the actual tension? Where's the interplay between characters? It's like they wrote these people and forgot to give them any narrative drive.

whatwhat  said 18 days ago:

i actually think the characters are nicely rounded. they're all essentially horrible. like most real life people.

marnie / desi is hilariously awful; love it. marnie's mum singing along at the jazz brunch was the best bit.

adam driver is gonna be such / is already a star hey. so good.

outerspacextrapnel  said 17 days ago:

The characters seem well created, but they don't do anything. They just bump off each other without any sense of agency. Nothing happened in last night's episode, nothing was revealed, nothing was made clearer.

intruder  said 17 days ago:

It felt like none of the characters had any depth. It's like they're caricatures spinning around themselves.
The characters seem well created, but they don't do anything.

Sounds like every 23/24 year old i've ever known! So many times i've watched this show and thought ''fuck being in my early twenties again''.

anok  said 17 days ago:

i feel tension with hannah/adam. i'm looking forward to her not being in NYC. she's much less obnoxious in isolation.

i didn't like that ep much. agree that it was a bit of a nothing ep. but things i did like:
* that advert adam did
* ray and shosh's little exchange
* the fact that every musical performance by marnie gets us one step closer to the last musical performance by marnie (please?)
* hannah's hair
* elijah
* knuckle duster phone case

shazzat  said 17 days ago:

Where's the actual tension? Where's the interplay between characters? It's like they wrote these people and forgot to give them any narrative drive.

Are you kidding? That ep. was a great opener to the season. We saw a glimpse of vulnerability in Jessa (when she took her anger out on Hannah in the bathroom); we saw the continuing tension between Shosh and Ray (his extended hug - smiling too hard perhaps?); we saw the cringe-worthy exchange between Marnie and the girlfriend (you just know that's going to be a train wreck this season); and the obvious lack of a 'plan' between Hannah and Adam (coupled with his pessimism throughout the ep) suggests their relationship is not going to fare well with her move. If that's not 'interplay' between characters I don't know what is. It's the opening episode - the idea is to plant seeds of things to come/touch on issues raised last season, not tell the whole story.

The characters seem well created, but they don't do anything. They just bump off each other without any sense of agency. Nothing happened in last night's episode, nothing was revealed, nothing was made clearer.

Again I disagree. Plenty was revealed - Marnie is still playing the victim; Jessa is perhaps not as strong as she appears to be; Shosh is vulnerable now she's facing post-college reality... etc etc. The narrative structure may not be as familiar as with other shows (each ep with it's own narrative arc, wrapped up in a nice little package) but that doesn't mean nothing is happening or the characters aren't doing anything. If anything it's more true to real life relationships (i.e. not TV relationships), e.g. things unfold over time, people change slowly (and in some ways don't change at all, but keep making the same mistakes). Personal development is not something linear that unfolds within 12 episodes.

I agree with whatwhat: they're all essentially horrible. like most real life people.

And Elijah's lines are fucking brilliant.

anok  said 17 days ago:

am i the only person on m+n that doesn't think most people are horrible?.

CaptainHowdy  said 17 days ago:

i liked the ep. i like the characters. they're a bit horrible sometimes but we're all a bit horrible sometimes. i'm rootin' for 'em.

rawr  said 16 days ago:

marnie's mum rules. shosh was cute. elijah's truth bombs ruled. hannah's haircut is cool. looking forward to seeing how it all blows up and for whom.

part of me thinks that hannah will last about a week in ohio

Arthurly  said 16 days ago:

nobody mentioned the star turn by elijah's bitchy ex boyfriend and his gaggle of bulemic hangers on. Gold

outoftheaircrash  said 16 days ago:

''what does Lady Gaga and Judy Garland have in common?''
''They're both white?''

Excellent

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.