View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Girls (HBO) TV Show

venompstinger  said about 2 years ago  or at  9:44PM on Monday, April 16 2012 in television

Girls (HBO)

Follows the lives of a small group of friends in their 20s trying to chart their lives in New York City.

The premise sounds awful but the 1st ep is pretty well executed.

Created by a talented lass called Lena Dunham (you may have seen her movie called Tiny Furniture).

I think it is worth a look!

CaptainHowdy  said about 2 years ago:

whitegirlproblems

LoadMyRig  said about 2 years ago:

please tell me it's written by dudes.

(mostly) written by lena dunham. often directed by lena dunham too.

i started doing some reseach on lena durham and then in the middle of her being on the irish dude's talk show i got bored.

anok  said about 2 years ago:

thanks for reminding me about this vps. david bean cooley was raving like a dipshit about it the other day on NPR. downloading!

ocelotl  said about 2 years ago:

Well it's all in the writing isn't it? I mean, ''Follows the lives of a small group of friends in their 20s trying to chart their lives in New York City'' says more or less nothing. I'll try to assume too much about the fact that Judd Apatow is an executive producer and wrote a bit.

• try not to assume too much

rawr  said about 2 years ago:

yeah, i heard some twitter raves about it today. downloadin'.

chickenchops  said about 2 years ago:

The girl on girl nudity is a man's touch. PS, Apatow, girls don't sit naked in their bathtubs eating cupcakes while their hot best friend looks on.

This being said, I related to a bunch of it. Apart from her being financially supported by her parents (we have Youth Allowance in this country) and her ugly tattoos. Ouch. My misspent youth.

The girl on girl nudity is a man's touch. PS, Apatow, girls don't sit naked in their bathtubs eating cupcakes while their hot best friend looks on.

this could actually be lena's schtick. there's a scene in tiny furniture where dunham's character shaves her legs in the shower while her sister reads her a poem.

PaulsGrandfather  said about 2 years ago:

chickenchops

Apatow, girls don't sit naked in their bathtubs eating cupcakes while their hot best friend looks on.

Speak for yourself. I'm currently sitting in a bathtub full of cupcakes, eating cupcakes. My best friend is also a cupcake.

Bowie  said about 2 years ago:

Can't be bothered.

Apatow, girls don't sit naked in their bathtubs eating cupcakes while their hot best friend looks on.

that is totally dumham's touch.

dunham damnit. i'm the dumham, clearly.

Hmm, so CaptainHowdy, seems they're in the office of Melville House Books. That's some way hip product placement.

YOUR HAM IS DUM ANOK

definitely  said about 2 years ago:

Speak for yourself.

I'm female and in my early 30s. In my 20s I shared many a bath with female friends (we were usually stoned, which could have led to cupcake eating) and it wasn't odd for us to talk to each other whilst on the toilet either.

I still don't really have any qualms about friends seeing me naked - like if I have to quickly change a shirt or something - but I know some friends who'd be kinda prudish about that sort of thing too. People are different!

definitely  said about 2 years ago:

Also, I enjoyed the first episode. Looking forward to more.

Zosia Mamet was the total anti-Joyce (her character in Mad Men) in this too.

OK so the jury is divided on the bath/cupcake issue. But these stories are getting a bit 1800-HOTTALK. Tell me more about these friendly cupcake baths.

View Comments 20 to 1019

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

LoadMyRig  said about 7 months ago:

richard e. grant. what's the verdict? i'm now convinced he's a terrible actor. every scene he's in is so overdone. i guess that's his charm, right? but i've always been torn because he's utterly likeable onscreen.

yeah not his best moments on this show. then again, i guess if you are playing someone who's coked up all the time, invariably they are gonna be really unlikeable. like most coked up people in real life.

moribunderast  said about 7 months ago:

Didn't think much of that finale, to be honest. I've really enjoyed this season, probably my favourite, but that episode really brought into focus how under-written and ultimately pointless Jessa and Shoshana's arcs have been this year.

At least Adam told Hannah off after yet another moment of stunning selfishness (I may have uttered the ''C'' word at the screen when she went into his dressing room pre-show) and Marnie got called out, despite it later appearing like she may get what she wants.

Jessa's sub-plot was just bizarre and totally pointless and Shoshana's too sudden and poorly built to mean anything.

Good season, dud finale.

anok  said about 7 months ago:

yeah i'm pissed that hannah caught a(nother) break after acting like a shit for another entire episode. she and marnie... two peas in the poo pod!

definitely  said about 7 months ago:

Oh Hannah.

gottagetawookie  said about 7 months ago:

Gah, poorly written, why did i persist?

moke  said about 7 months ago:

Jessa's not dead!

HEB  said about 7 months ago:

I hope that GB Shaw production was supposed to be dire

kelele  said about 7 months ago:

Shosh is actually now the only character I like.

MelonHCST  said about 7 months ago:

Adam and Ray still rule as well. How the hell was Marnie actually telling Hannah how she kissed the other dude? She's insane.

rawr  said about 6 months ago:

It's taken 3 whole seasons but it was very satisfying to see Shosh become an actual human being.

woolfat  said about 6 months ago:

just started watching season 3 and can safely say that I am now 100% hate-watching. Ray is the only decent person in their putrid little universe.

anok  said about 6 months ago:

they get way less decent by season's end too. lol

can't help but wonder if Dunham has had enough of the show... like, she's aware she's created a beast and is just driving it into the ground.

tugboat  said about 6 months ago:

I haven't watched the new season at all.
I just can't stand it anymore.
Just do a Shoshanna spin off.
Or Shoshanna moves to New Mexico and work as Saul Goodman's
receptionist or something.

anok  said about 6 months ago:

that could work actually

blake3030  said about 6 months ago:

95% of the comments made about this show are about how much people hate the characters. It's getting a bit tired. I don't particularly like any of them but they're all pretty interesting/infuriating/fun to watch. If they weren't, we wouldn't still be tuning in every week.

Also, controversial opinion: Shoshanna sucks.

yep, i'm definitely hate watching. they are all shit characters and i can't stand them, but that is what makes it an entertaining show to watch.

anok  said about 1 month ago:

outerspacextrapnel  said about 1 month ago:

She looks very mannish.

outerspacextrapnel  said about 1 month ago:

No Peter Pan-ish as I guess they're trying to do.

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.