View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Michael Rother (NEU! HARMONIA, KRAFTWERK) Presents the music of NEU!

Singhala  said about 2 years ago  or at  10:09AM on Thursday, December 15 2011 in events

Singhala Music Presents
In Association with Adelaide Festival of the Arts

MICHAEL ROTHER (NEU! HARMONIA, KRAFTWERK)

Presenting music by NEU!, Harmonia and selected solo works in a world premiere performance with special guests Dieter Moebius (Cluster, Harmonia) and Hans Lampe (NEU!, La Dusseldorf).

THU MAR 15: Brisbane - The Zoo
SAT MAR 17: Sydney - Oxford Arts Factory

Australian music enthusiasts will be lucky enough to experience an unprecedented meeting of great musical minds with heavyweights of Krautkrock and German experimental electronica Michael Rother, Dieter Moebius and Hans Lampe coming together to tour the country in March 2012. Together they will perform the music of Neu!, Harmonia and other selected works.

Well-known for his incredible work in NEU!, Harmonia and Kraftwerk – bands whose music shaped much of rock and electronica to today – multi-instrumentalist and composer Michael Rother’s cult status is largely due to his infrequent touring and elusive recordings. Fans of his ‘70s art-rock catalogue will be treated to some of his most important and popular work on this tour.

Rother could be said to be responsible for the huge wave of popularity that art-rock, Krautrock and experimental electronica rode in the ‘70s, making him a pretty important figure in contemporary music’s history. A precursor to trance, electro-pop and experimental art-rock, Rother pioneered hypnotic and intense beats as well as spacious, avant-garde sounds that characterised the work of NEU!.

Previous collaborative partners include Sonic Youth’s drummer Steve Shelley, John Frusciante and Red Hot Chili Peppers. In 2010, Rother and his band Hallogallo played New York’s ATP festival.

Rother’s music features incredible synthesizer sounds that will transport you to another time – the future that was imagined in the past, a different world; a space age daydream.

In a world-premier event, Rother is joined by former Harmonia bandmate Dieter Moebius (whom he toured with in 2007 as ‘Dieter & Moebius’) and NEU! bandmate Hans Lampe, re-uniting.

Special guest supports to be announced.

WATCH/LEARN

POSTER

TICKETS ON SALE FROM
Sydney: http://www.moshtix.com.au/
Brisbane: http://www.oztix.com.au/

electricsound  said about 2 years ago:

ooh

carwashhair  said about 2 years ago:

surely you'll announce Melbourne too, Singhala?

Ben  said about 2 years ago:

Rother already has on his site

JunkiePhil  said about 2 years ago:

Fuck'n worst time to be going to America.
Miss Roky and this, horrid.

voidster  said about 2 years ago:

Brisbane..awesome!

JunkiePhil  said about 2 years ago:

March 19th, 2012 - Melbourne - Corner Hotel

mattt  said about 2 years ago:

Has the Golden Plains line-up been finalised? It's the 10th-12th of March. Rother & Moebius would be perfecto...

mrb  said about 2 years ago:

this is gonna be amazing. harmonia at the east B a few years back was incredible.

harmonia at the east B a few years back was incredible.

to say the least!

yep. One of my all time fav shows. I floated away for most of it and time stood still.

gotta say, not a fan of the poster art above.

MarsAudiac  said about 2 years ago:

Saw him earlier this year and it was pretty amazing, but he was playing with a band, so I don't really know what to expect from a solo outing. He was really excited about coming to Australia too. I like the poster, but I like the top half better than the bottom. You know, if I was forced to pick a half. Who made it?

Singhala  said about 2 years ago:

He does have a band
Dieter Moebius (Cluster, Harmonia) and Hans Lampe (NEU!, La Dusseldorf).

Poster by T-bone & Ajax - Philadelphia based designers

BUHHH. Yes, like it says on the poster. Apologies for my reading skills! He played with Dieter at the show I saw too, and a 3 (I think?) piece guitar/bass/drums combo. This should be really great.

Hi,

Michael Rother has put some notes together for the tour on some tracks available to listen to here: LISTEN: http://www.singhalamusic.com/michael-rother-neu-harmonia-kraftwerk/

1. Hallogallo / NEU!
Recorded 1971 in Hamburg. Original release 1972 on the first NEU! album

Klaus Dinger and I recorded Hallogallo and the other tracks of the first NEU! album with Conny Plank, the legendary producer, in late 1971. We did not ask a record company to pay the studio rent because we wished to remain completely independent but we had little money and therefore we were forced to finish the recordings in only 4 nights. We didn´t rehearse at home or even discussed our ideas before we entered the studio. Klaus and I started out from scratch and each of us only had visions of the music that we wanted to produce. In the first step we recorded basic tracks together, with Klaus playing drums and myself on guitar or bass. We worked like action painters when in the next step we individually added overdubs. It was thrilling and also frightening because there was absolutely no certainty that we would end up with an album and, if so, would find a record company for it. I guess we were very fortunate. Recording overdubs for Hallogallo I suddenly had a wonderful feedback on my guitar with which I could play thoses long drifting notes that hover like clouds over our basic tracks. Conny Plank contributed a lot of creativity to the recording process, he picked up our intentions with great sensitivity and was a wizzard at the mixing desk. Hallogallo is one of my favourite tracks of all time. The minimalistic drone and the optimistic fast-forward movement of Hallogallo is still close to my heart. In my view it is one of the best examples of my collaboration with Klaus Dinger.

2. Dino / Harmonia
Recorded 1973 in Harmonia´s studio in Forst. Original release in 1974 on the first Harmonia album ''Musik von Harmonia''

After the release of the second NEU! album in early 1973 I visited Dieter Moebius and Hans-Joachim Roedelius in their home in the beautiful countryside of the Weserbergland. The idea was to find out whether they were suited to join the live lineup of NEU! on a tour to the UK. Klaus Dinger and I had already made some unsuccessful attempts at transfering our music from the studio onto the stage. One drum and one guitar did not work live and the musicians that were available did not share our idea of music. On one Cluster album I heard a track that made me think it could work with these guys. In Forst I jammed with Roedelius. His fuzzy piano patterns and my guitar immediately clicked. In fact the resulting music was so great that I decided to concentrate on this collaboration and put NEU! on hold. Together with Moebius we started the band Harmonia. The three of us had quite different personalities and the combination of our musical ideas worked wonderfully even though the name Harmonia was a joke because the music was the result of a struggle between the three musicians and temperaments involved. Harmonia´s music was different from NEU!´s but equally thrilling to me. We played live and recorded a lot of music in our home studio by the river Weser. We had only very simple recording gear but very much time to experiment. One of the many ideas we developed became the track Dino and it features contributions by all three musicians. I still enjoy playing my version of Dino live.

3. Neutronics 98 (A Tribute to Conny Plank) / Michael Rother
Recorded in my own studio in 1997. Original release on a compilation called ''A Homage to NEU!'' in 1998. This track was my tribute to Conny Plank.

In 1998 I was asked whether I would support a compilation on which artists and bands played tracks that were inspired by NEU!. Obviously I couldn´t pay tribute to myself but I took the opportunity to express my gratitude to Conny Plank who recorded not only the three NEU! albums but also the second Harmonia album ''Deluxe'' as well as my first three solo albums ''Flammende Herzen'', Sterntaler and Katzenmusik. Sadly, Conny died in 1987 and did not live to see the appreciation his work with us has been getting especially in recent years. We all - bands like Kraftwerk, NEU!, Cluster, Harmonia and many more - owe Conny so much for his contributions to our albums. It was an inspiration for me to record the albums with Conny and to learn from his creativity and skills at the mixing desk. He was the only producer in the early 70s willing to do crazy sound experiments like the ones we had in mind and to share the financial risk with us. Recording Neutronics 98 I thought a lot about Conny and his ideas for production. Once again I felt a lot of inspiration. This track is to Conny.

4. Rückstossgondoliero / Kraftwerk (Schneider/Dinger/Rother)
Performed live on German tv (Beat Club) in 1971. Released legally only on DVD (Beat Club 1971).

In early 1971 I met Kraftwerk by pure chance and jammed with Ralph Hütter in their studio. We enjoyed playing together because we obviously shared the idea of a music that was not based on Blues but instead had its melodic roots in central Europe. It combined new sounds with a hypnotic drone of the kind I remember from my childhood days in Pakistan when I heard local street bands playing wonderful music that seemed to go on forever. A few weeks after my jam with Ralph Hütter Florian Schneider invited me to join Kraftwerk because Ralph left the band to concentrate on his university studies. In spring and summer ´71 I performed live with Florian and Klaus Dinger who was an amazing and the most powerful drummer I ever met. It was an exciting experience for me. The music we created live was radical, minimalistic and orgiastic. Surprisingly we were invited to perform on a German tv show called Beat Club and I remember that it was very hard for us to create excitement in an empty studio hall with only a few technicians listening instead of a frenzied crowd that shared our joy and pushed us on. The sterile tv studio made me feel like playing in outer space but Rückstossgondoliero is one of the rare documents of the music Florian, Klaus and I played as Kraftwerk.

FrankieTeardrop  said about 2 years ago:

I'm pretty damn excited about this tour, but the waiting for an official announcement of a Melbourne date is seriously crueling my head. Arrrrgh! What's going on?

MELBOURNE SHOW AND NATIONAL SUPPORT ANNOUNCED

MICHAEL ROTHER
(NEU!, Harmonia, Kraftwerk)

DIETER MOEBIUS
(Cluster, Harmonia) and

HANS LAMPE
(NEU!, La Dusseldorf)

Presents the music of Neu!, Harmonia and other selected works

THU MAR 15 Brisbane - The Zoo
SAT MAR 17 Sydney - Oxford Art Factory
JUST ANNOUNCED:
MON MAR 19 Melbourne - Corner Hotel

With special guests: BAPTISM OF UZI (All shows)

TICKETS ON SALE NOW FROM
Sydney: http://www.moshtix.com.au/event.aspx?id=53196
Brisbane: http://zoo.oztix.com.au/default.aspx?Event=24661
Melbourne: https://corner.ticketscout.com.au/gigs/233-michael-rother-dieter-moebius-and-hans-lampe

HIGH RES PHOTOS
http://www.singhalamusic.com/michael-rother-neu-harmonia-kraftwerk/

WATCH/LEARN
http://www.singhalamusic.com/michael-rother-neu-harmonia-kraftwerk

POSTER
singhalamusic.com/Michael_Rother_NEU_2012.jpg

Michael Rother has put some notes together for the tour on some tracks available to listen to here: LISTEN: http://www.singhalamusic.com/michael-rother-neu-harmonia-kraftwerk/

but the waiting for an official announcement of a Melbourne date is seriously crueling my head. Arrrrgh! What's going on?

Yeah, why the wait, Singhala? When the gig is already listed on the artists website a month before an 'official' announcement? Not sure if it's all down to venue/promotion/industry machinations, but it can't be generating a lot of goodwill for Melbourne fans...

Not sure if it's all down to venue/promotion/industry machinations

Kinda this I guess - beyond control. I can only apologise! gonna be a killer show.. sorry again.

Ron  said about 2 years ago:

Who gives a shit? They're playing so you've got my ''goodwill'' AND my entry fee. And FrankieTeardrop's head can now be uncrueled so everyone's happy.

^^^

garumph  said about 2 years ago:

Very nice indeed.

And FrankieTeardrop's head can now be uncrueled so everyone's happy.

Woohoo!

specialaward  said about 2 years ago:

great news!

Except that this is in a crazy-busy fortnight of gigs, which includes Golden Plains and Dirty Three :(

astrousersasmind  said about 2 years ago:

man, Baptism of Uzi must be pretty amped about this. Great stuff. Loved the Harmonia set at ATP.

Evilio  said about 2 years ago:

I dont mean to show my ignorance here, but how comparable will this show be to the Harmonia ATP set? I didnt know who they were when I saw them, and was blown away. Looking forward to this none the less!

It'll be Harmonia + LIVE DRUMS. And live drums are like bacon to electronic music. That's how comparable it'll be, Evilio

yeah - it'll be bloody amazing. The guys he's playing with are legends themselves - have made truly brilliant albums. It's cosmic music royalty.

''MICHAEL ROTHER is possibly the most influential man you've never heard of. He is one of the most important figures in music since the 1960s.'' - The Age

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/music/trailblazer-helped-rock-catch-the-neu-wave-20120315-1v82w.html#ixzz1pBtf5y35

Adelaide tonight - SOLD OUT
Sydney tomorrow and Melbourne Monday both selling fast

alloneword  said about 2 years ago:

Any word on playing times for Melbourne?

Urquhart Bluff  said about 2 years ago:

Will I be able to get tix at the door?

Playing Times:
9:35pm Michael Rother
8:45pm Baptism of Uzi
7:45pm New War

There will be some tickets on the door

stirfry  said about 2 years ago:

Thanks Singhala!

Sydney show was Killllah

The Sydney show was incredible..! someone posted a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsN4fB1PFm4

Sydney Morning Herald review:
MICHAEL ROTHER
Oxford Art Factory, March 17

WE WERE all on the nod - grey-haired septuagenarians, chunked-up 40-somethings, lacquered Gen X and inquisitive Gen Y. Some had blissed-out faces, eyes closed and half smiles; some wide-eyed with intent, even if the pupils were unfocused.

Rather than some crack house scene from The Wire, here was a room full of us locked into a rhythm that was relentless but not demanding, pulsing rather than pushing. It wasn't made for dancing, though you could do so without embarrassment. But it was made for what the sports commentators like to call forward progress, which felt in this case exactly as the rock critic cliche has it - in cruise control on a long, smooth motorway. There was space, there were hypnotic patterns, there were minor melodies spinning off like tendrils. It was pure pleasure.

Advertisement: Story continues below
Now Michael Rother, Hans Lampe and Dieter Moebius (three giants of German experimental music looking like a trio of European bankers) didn't just do variations of what in the 1970s came to be called krautrock rhythms.

Rother was ostensibly playing guitar but with an array of switches, machines and a laptop. He was creating sounds that were diving planes or searing metallic collisions and sometimes just pure, clean, six strings. Moebius, sat at a table array of nothing that looked musical, manipulated and redirected sounds, augmenting the kaleidoscope offered by Rother. And Lampe mixed electronic and live drums in indivertible but never robotic patterns.

From them we also got music that showed the roots of trance, some that crossed the glitch and twitch of electronica and others that played a kind of rock. It felt incredibly fresh.

Review above doesn't come close to doing this gig justice in print. Show was stunning in every way, and their faces at the end of the nite said it all. Thanks for this one, Singhala.

iamthewalrus  said about 2 years ago:

One of the best gigs I've been to in a while.

Shame about all the old guys behind me that wouldn't STFU through the whole thing.

monoceros  said about 2 years ago:

Pretty great last night although a good third of the material left me cold.

lima  said about 2 years ago:

was an awesome show

theneworphan  said about 2 years ago:

It was awesome by the end, but I thought a little patchy in parts. A few tracks it seemed as though they were a bar or 2 off the sequenced stuff – which didn't really matter for the song proper but made for some unsteady beginnings and awkward endings.

Was pretty noticeable in Hallogallo so early in the set, they didn't really seem to be in the groove that well.

All said though, they were killing it by the end.

dnzr  said about 2 years ago:

would have been way more enjoyable if some jerk came back from the bar with a beer for me too eh?

great show. didn't ask as much of you as the harmonia show a few years back, you didn't get lost in the music quite as much - but still had plenty of beautiful moments. I blissed out with a great section of the crowd - no talking just reverence. Top night.

theneworphan  said about 2 years ago:

would have been way more enjoyable if some jerk came back from the bar with a beer for me too eh?

I'll make it up to you tomorrow by having some free beers for my birthday.

mrb – yeah, I was kind of hoping for a bit more harmonia sort of stuff (I didn't go see harmonia), but I can imagine it being tough to hold such a large crowd with that sort of cosmic action.

excellent but are these free beers i'll be funding?

also, i am still puzzled by that guitar tone and still not sure if i liked it or if it was a tad too digitech floor pedal circa 1996.

i don't think digitech were around in 74

no, and neither were laptops or electric drums.

:)

to expand - i really, really liked how the guitar was split into 2 channels, 1 really nice one that sounded like it was going through an old space echo into a fender twin and the other harsh and digital as fuck.

just still unsure on the digital sound and if the harshness was too much for my taste.

i had my plugs in so i fortunately missed the digital harshness. though i do reckon it is possible to get that tone via analog means, it certainly doesn't (and probably doesn't) mean he wasn't using software fx or the like..

tangy_zizzle  said about 2 years ago:

This guitar tone?

I thought it was perfect. :)

nope, that's not it.

still, blazing show all up.

Heinrich  said about 2 years ago:

I thought the sound in general was bad. So gated and lifeless.

I was hoping for more Harmonia/Moebius material. Oh well.

labrish  said about 2 years ago:

^this.

Also, minus infinite points for using drum pads.

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.