View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Where are the ravers?

max bulk  said about 3 years ago  or at  10:18AM on Tuesday, September 6 2011 in stupidity

In the late 90s and early 00s, you couldn't walk around Melbourne without stepping on one. And now they've disappeared completely.

Has anyone spotted any ravers recently? Where are they hiding?

anonymous  said about 3 years ago:

The remnants are hanging out in ministry of style on brunswick st.

Coz  said about 3 years ago:

Is that Ministry of Style shop still on Brunswick St?

Phat pants were stupid, but they made everyone's ass look nice.

HEB  said about 3 years ago:

River Tam killed them all

k2  said about 3 years ago:

Well the first wave of people who enjoyed techno in warehouses were not recognisable by any specific clothing, so they could be anywhere - even people you work with or family members!

The second wave of fucktards who wore stupid big pants and had whistles in their mouths and wings on their backs were not about the music, thus who cares?

max bulk  said about 3 years ago:

I care, k2.

They were people too, you know.

nishiki  said about 3 years ago:

try king st at 7am on a sunday, and ringwood.

Then there is a third wave who have borrowed nostalgia of the second wave, aka Muscles.

Anyone who hasn't heard of Derrick May is no friend of mine.

jbiz  said about 3 years ago:

The second wave of fucktards who wore stupid big pants and had whistles in their mouths and wings on their backs were not about the music, thus who cares?

Wait - nobody was seriously about the 'music' were they?

Wait - nobody was seriously about the 'music' were they?

Nigga, please.

dj  said about 3 years ago:

we're all in our 40s with children and mortgages

once the kids are grown up, the 50+ rave reunion nights are going to be krrrr-azy!

everyone's gonna be popping blood pressure regulating pills like there's no tomorrow

Arthurly  said about 3 years ago:

old ravers never die. They just wallow in nostalgia and bitterness.

Coz  said about 3 years ago:

I have a friend who was like this. She dropped down to about 45 kilos, preached the benefits of anal sex a lot, and got knocked up by someone she met at Twister and had only known a month.

Now I have a beautiful goddaughter who has single parents, the mother has ballooned back up to about 95kg, and is dating her next door neighbour but only after she hooked up with his brother.

I presume all ex-ravers are doing similar things with their lives.

jeebee  said about 3 years ago:

I think they've all been at burning man for the last week.

That whole scene really did splinter in a number of different ways - the breaks / drum and bass dudes, the filthy goa psych hippies, the happy hardcore retards, and the techno/tech-house people. It was a great time in music - new stuff happening, new music movements.

What about that banging minimal tech thing?

What happened to Will-E-Tell and all his cheap deck tricks?

Is he still around the traps or has he been locked up for supplying amphetamines or some such?

nishiki  said about 3 years ago:

gotta reckon the law of attrition would be hitting the rave scene hard at the moment. as dj said, heaps of the older/original crew would be laden with kid/house/wife, and 'rave' probably hasn't been doing much for the kids lately. big 'dance' events seem to still pull crowds though, so i guess rave will hang on as long as it can amalgamate with other faltering scenes like, oh i don't know, dubstep.

View Comments 20 to 115

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

And loads of 8-bit inspired decor.

i assume mana bar plays shitty jrpg soundtracks?

you should put it to em as a musical option for weds nights or somesuch.

There's a tech housey sort of night at Loop on Thursdays, some decent DJs there.

i assume mana bar plays shitty jrpg soundtracks?

I still haven't been to mana bar to be honest. I imagine music is secondary to gaming there.

alec m  said about 2 years ago:

losgauchos said 47 minutes ago:
Ravers are alive and well and living in 1992. Watch the dude at the 3 minute mark chewing his face off...

thank you

theneworphan  said about 2 years ago:

Jesus, that is the gurningest gurn face I've ever seen in my life. Pretty sure he would have had not teeth left, nor a bottom jaw after that night.

rawr  said about 2 years ago:

aah i love that vid.

intruder  said about 2 years ago:

Great vid. And gurnface is hilarious, but i love Donny Osmond on the left at the beginning the most. He makes me want to take pills again.

woolfat  said about 2 years ago:

is that the guy with the creepy eyes, intruder?

in the grey sweater, shuffling back and forth. it's captivating...

No, it's the beaming dude in the t-shirt, far left right at the beginning. He's just so incredibly happy.

losgauchos  said about 2 years ago:

Apart from the sore mouth and jaw, the Westgate Wednesday comedowns and the wild mood swings associated with fucking with your serratonin levles good pingers are a cheap and love filled way of having fun. Two of my friends found wives when pinging off white hearts at GP a few years back. True Story. This vid makes me wanna drop. Or shelve.

Also, there's not enough love being shown for overalls-dude, also on the left near the start. Proof that this vid could only have been shot in 91!

oh god no, intruder....anyone dressed like a mime for any reason deserves to be taken out.

TheBastard  said about 2 years ago:

I can never shake these from my brain when I think about this type of stuff

ladyinred  said about 2 years ago:

k2 said about 5 months ago:
Anyone who hasn't heard of Derrick May is no friend of mine.

touring.

24th April in Melbourne.

fascisthayley  said about 2 years ago:

PaulsGrandfather  said about 2 years ago:

tinyman  said about 2 years ago:

I miss being a raver.

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.