View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

old rage playlists

nishiki  said about 2 years ago  or at  1:31PM on Sunday, May 29 2011 in television

my beau just told me about TISM doing a really excellent rage playlist back in '95, however i was too young to be fully aware of the greatness of rage at that time. it then got me thinking about all these other great playlists that must be documented out there, and thankfully the abc have archived a whole lot of them. sadly though they only go back to 1998, which i guess is still 13 years.

talk about great old rage guests or tell me where i can find any playlists pre-98. also if anyone can find the listing for the 20th of may 1995 i would be fairly grateful/impressed/&c.

goingblank  said about 2 years ago:

Lou Barlow's programming seven or eight years ago got me on to Ride, Venom P Stinger and The Shins (when they'd just released Oh Inverted World).

JRB  said about 2 years ago:

I'm pretty sure TISM's playlist included the opening creedit sot The 7:30 Report. Funny to hear about, not so much fun to watch.

goingblank  said about 2 years ago:

Oh yeah, that's right - didn't they just play all the themes for the ABC's news and current affairs shows?

djbollocks  said about 2 years ago:

Did TISM program more than once? I think one time they played a documentary and Collette's Ring my Bell.

national_highway_31  said about 2 years ago:

I was an obsessive Rage taper around then, and still have a whole bunch of old VHS in storage, but no TISM unfortunately. My best memories/introductions were to Venom P Stinger's ''Walking About'' (Stephen Malkmus), Unrest's ''Cath Carroll'' (The Breeders), and Moonshake (Lou Barlow). Robert Foster gave the longer and most interesting introductions of anyone in the history of Rage programming.

The early days of Recovery also had some stellar performances... JSBX, Chris Knox, Avalanches, Sandpit, Loves Ugly Children, Moler, Magic Dirt, Screamfeeder, Doo Rag, Archers of Loaf, Gerling, Sidewinder.

I have on videotape one of the rages that SY programmed. One of my favourite rages was the one that Butthole Surfers programmed, they were incredibly baked and played some hilarious videos (the one that sticks in my memory was some cowboy singer who sang with a pronounced lisp) and introducing a Joy Divsion clip with Gibby saying they were a 'well-hung band'.

I have on videotape one of the rages that SY programmed.

SY have programmed a number of time, but I remember being about 16 and seeing them play Merzbow ''Minus Zero''. Scared the hell out of me.

I thought they only programmed twice, but the one with Merzbow was Lee and Thurston hosting, and it was them programming 'Father to a Sister of Thought' that got me into Pavement in a big way (thanks guys!).

juicenewton*  said about 2 years ago:

I was an obsessive Rage taper around then

Same. I remember one night when I was 17ish, the parents were away, a bunch of us came back to my house after being out, put in a VHS tape and pressed record because PJ Harvey was starting up. It turned out to be Beck programming circa 1993/4 (?) I then watched and re-watched this for the next few of years. Great set. Great times.

It turned out to be Beck programming circa 1993/4

I remember that! He played ''Afro'', and that was my first introduction to the JSBX.

goldfoot  said about 2 years ago:

There's a site that generates youtube clips for old rage playlists.

Check it: http://rage.d14n.org/

nishiki  said about 2 years ago:

that site is great, goldfoot.

tex perkins' programming exposed me to residents videos. was pretty great.

gabbo  said about 2 years ago:

i loved the Tex one a few years ago where he just picked songs he hated. either from bands he thought were rubbish, or just mistakes.

every time i hear ''Gold'' by Spandeua Ballet, i can't help but repeat Tex's version of the chorus.

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.