View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Ben Mullins

buttonselgringo  said about 4 years ago  or at  4:02PM on Tuesday, October 19 2010 in chat

Hey, just quickly, can any of you folks tell me if it's true that Ben Mullins (Benedicts, Atlas Strings, awesome solo stuff), passed away suddenly over the last few days???? I'm sitting here and there seems to be no confirmation, just hearing bad stories.
WOULD LOVE TO KNOW.
Cheers folks,
A.

mathieson  said about 4 years ago:

It's suggested so on this thread.

slant6  said about 4 years ago:

Yes, it's pretty fucked. He passed away last weekend. I don't know what else to tell you.

martygras  said about 4 years ago:

Ben Mullins lost his battle against depression and everything that goes along with it on Friday 15th October 2010; I won’t go into details out of respect. Ben was one of the nicest, most affable humans you were ever going to come across with a smile (or cheesy grin) that was infectious and no matter his state of mind he was always, and I mean always very well mannered (a rarity in any time zone). His talent as a singer, musician and songwriter knew few bounds even though he never received the success or recognition he truly deserved, he left us all with some fantastic music and great memories which is more than most people can say. This is my opinion only (and I’m not trying to lay blame) but I believe he was a victim of the most arsehole business around, the music industry. Being the sweet, sensitive guy that he was and the sort of naivety that came along with his disposition, he tended to believe the people who blew smoke up his arse, the same people that were ‘o’ so quick to turn their backs on him when her didn’t play their ego driven games.

Ben left this note/poem on one of his best friends, Gutterball Pete’s bed in 2006…

“A suicidal maniac came aboard the boat,
We slapped him on the back and welcomed him aboard,
All his prayers were answered,
All his sin redeemed.”

Benedict Mullins… one of the good ones, well remembered, well missed…

goldfoot  said about 4 years ago:

Sad news. The Benedicts album was a favourite of mine when it came out. Great record.

kuroneko  said about 4 years ago:

Such damn sad news.

The Benedicts - On The Air

Still a great pop song.

marmiger  said about 4 years ago:

I was sorry to hear about Ben's passing but what was really sad was that this was hardly a shock. Ben was an alcoholic who happened to have a wonderful natural talent. That's how you got to hear his music. Sorry to contradict you martygras, but Ben had plenty of opportunities in the music industry, which is no worse than any other creative based industry. Ben was not an innocent victim. Like many addicts he blamed others when he was often to blame (read his lyrics). I listened to the records I made with Ben today and I cried. What a sad sad waste. Alcoholism is a cruel disease.
Turn off your amp. Pack up your leads. Put the guitar back in it's case. Say goodnight my mate, there's no songs left to sing.

buttonselgringo  said about 4 years ago:

I'm still crying, rip Ben. much respect.

familymember  said about 4 years ago:

Marmiger - you may not have been shocked by Ben's passing, but we - Ben's family, those who knew him best, were extremely shocked and we are still struggling to come to terms with losing him. Ben was, in fact, an innocent victim - alcoholism is a disease - Ben didn't choose it. He fought it wholeheartedly and he won many battles. Unfortunately, he lost the war. Ben wasn't the only member of the family fighting this disease - please remember that public comments can be very damaging to those who are still living.

miserable  said about 4 years ago:

it is very sad. alcoholism is a terrible affliction, I too have suffered with it on several occasions in my life. but I think everyone on this site feels your grief, even if they didnt know ben personally. any suicide is sad. reading what marmiger said, I dont think he was trying to be disrespectful about bens passing, people react differently to grief. think he was trying convey his feelings at a very sad time. think if he had the chance to write that again he may think differently about what he said..our prayers are with you. it is difficult to lose someone.

The Coroner believes Ben's death was accidental - we may never know exactly what happened, but it appears that it wasn't suicide.

sorry to hear that, I wasnt aware...I didnt know Ben personally or the circumstances surrounding his passing, but I thought I might just express that people are thinking of you at this time.

Thank you so much - Ben touched so many people through his music. We will always have him with us - in our memories and in his songs.

Jazzy  said about 4 years ago:

I'm really sad to hear that someone else has passed away, they seem to be dropping like flies lately, it doesn't seem right, or maybe its just that I'm noticing it more.

Jazzy  said about 4 years ago:

It just makes me wonder what can we do about it, what will actually work?

it is very sad :( ... it is distressing.

hoganb  said about 4 years ago:

I first laid eyes on Ben working behind the bar in Selina's in Coogee when the Atlas Strings supported Jeff Buckley. I can barley remember Buckley's gig but can clearly remember Ben's soulful voice and thinking how good the band sounded.

I first met Ben working for Emergency Services in Brisbane where our mutual interest in music made us fast friends.

My favorite memories of Ben happened on my back balcony either writing songs or jamming out classics by Dylan, Costello, Springsteen etc.

He certainly became somewhat of a musical mentor and helped me alot with my song writing and singing.

He was always a true gentleman whenever he came to my house and my wife and I enjoyed his company very much.

In a lighter moment, Ben was visiting after a pretty big day out and was a little tired and hungry. We gave him a bowl of Spag- Bol which he ate most of . My dog Kev was sitting under the table at Ben's feet and emerged tail wagging splattered from head to tail with pasta sauce that Ben had spilt on him.

To Family Member:
Ben's nature was a tribute to his Mum, Dad and his siblings. Thanks for making him this way. I feel really lucky to have know him and call him a mate.

To Everyone else:
Try to focus on the possitive and remember him as the good bloke, proud Dad and fantastic musician that he truly was.

montyclift  said about 4 years ago:

well said. i remember him as a simply good bloke with more than his fair share of talent.

and not sure which armiger that was above, but that was pretty ungracious offering.

just gonna play 'cool your heels' again, it's still a great song...

mangochi  said about 4 years ago:

Our condolences to the Mullins family at this time. We have just heard the sad news of Ben's passing and would like to send our apologies to the family for their loss. Ben was employed with us periodically over the last 24 months and we all find it very upsetting that such a lovely person has had their life cut short. Rest in Peace Ben and all the best for his son, family and loved ones.

VoxFuzz  said about 4 years ago:

Very sad. I'm going to listen to Dagger Stare now. I loved this album as soon as I heard it. I was in high school, living in Guildford and trying to plot a way to get to Newtown to see them live. His voice was one of those that was Australian but also really universal. None of my friends were ever into this album, but it struck a chord with me and 15 years later (far out) I still know every word.

Blues  said about 4 years ago:

Ben

You belong among the wildflowers
You belong in a boat out at sea
Sail away, ....... ...............................

I have seen no other Who compares with you...

I believe this with all my heart..how sad so sad and so so missed..

griffithvoice  said about 3 years ago:

Ok this is a compelte and total shock to me. I just googled Ben to see what he was up to and maybe contact him to catch up for a beer. I knew Ben pretty well but hadnt kept touch with him over the years. We actually worked together for a federal government agency about 2001 etc. I always knew he was a talented musician but never really knew how good he was. Ben being Ben he tended to play alot of that stuff down.

Ben was an incredibly kind person and someone that you could always rely upon to back you up in a pinch. He was defintiely the kind of guy who would give you the shirt of his back if you were a friend.

He will be sorely missed.

Rip Ben

P.S does anyone know if he was still with Tracey??

Blues  said about 3 years ago:

Griffithvoice... He was not with Tracey... had not been for some years...

He was someone who once you knew him ... he would leave that print on your heart... and one would never be the same again.....

jjj100  said about 3 years ago:

So sad to hear this. I trust you are now at peace Ben. my thoughts go to the Mullins family xxx

tommyt  said about 3 years ago:

I only knew Ben from afar. We lived half a world apart. I first came to know of Ben when the band Atlas Strings was still active. I heard their music and was instantly hooked. The music was so honest and hit such a chord with me that I became an instant fan.

A couple years after the demise of the band I posted a question online in a music forum as to the whereabouts of Ben. A couple months later I received a message from the man himself letting me know he was still recording and that he would send me some of his tunes. Such was the kindness of Ben, to do such a thing for a perfect stranger.

After that we would write and chat online, not only about music but about family and the ups and downs we face in everyday life. We would sometimes go months without speaking but he would always reconnect and we would play catch-up. He would speak of his many current occupations but that was always temporary. Music was still going to be the focus of his work.

I remember how excited he was to travel to Nashville to record what would become ''Trouble's Plaything.'' He was going to get his music out to the world again and what great music it was.

It was only 4 months ago that I got an excited message from Ben. He was going to be recording again. I could tell in his writing that he was happy. Happy with his home life, happy he would again be doing what he loved and happy to be expressing his thoughts through his lyrics, which rang so true.

It was only this week that I received the terrible news of Ben's passing. We never met in person and that is my loss. To those who were closest to Ben, his family, friends and loved ones, you have my deepest sympathies. As for me, there will always be a void that can no longer be filled.

In Ben's own words, the last new words I will ever hear him say:

''Once again I will battle
the demons and dream
but it's rare I win the fight
so Hurry Up Daylight.''

Rest in Peace Ben, I will miss you always.

Hazel Eyes...

I am trying real hard to get on..... almost impossible..

I miss you so much...Te adoro mucho .. que pena tan enorme.........
Besos xxx

Sierrakora  said about 3 years ago:

Trouble's Plaything is a beautiful legacy for Tracy and particularly their son. He is so proud of his father's talent - Ben's music will live on.

I too know that Album well having been close to Ben for the last two years and Ben loved his son more than anything in this world. Likewise, he wrote and left beautiful songs for me that remain and always will close to my heart.......

ps and Yes his music will live on longer than we think....

Katwoman  said about 3 years ago:

I had come to know Ben through Lina , his partner of two years.
I was devastated and shocked when I heard of his passing and the terrible loss and grief I knew my friend was going to face.
He was recording some beautiful music that I was privelaged to listen to in the last few months.
I guess its of some solace that his music and lyrics will live on.

Benfan  said about 3 years ago:

Although I had not seen Ben in about 20 years it was still a shock to hear of his passing. Ben was a boyfriend of my sister and she lived with him in Sydney. And was like a brother to me at the time. An amazing musical talent. I remember getting phone calls to listen to a new song he had written!

My thoughts will always be with his family & friends. The Benedicts will live on forever!

Sadly it has been 3 months now since I have seen your face or heard your cheeky laugh

I play your songs to hear your voice and wonderful lyrics

I dail your ph in hope that it was a dream and you are here....

But still it does not comfort me.....

''Carry me away from all of this ''

Devious  said about 3 years ago:

Hi Ben - it's a shame that you left us all so suddenly, your usual stool is still left vacant in the hope that you may drift in one day. I hear the pubs up there open at 10 and stay open until infinity....
Have been playing Hoon quite a bit, as well as Troubles Plaything, it's always good to hear your voice.

Your mate,
D

Popboomerang  said about 3 years ago:

i am still searching for a copy of ''hoon'' would love to own it

goldfoot  said about 3 years ago:

Hey Ben ....

''Somebody said they saw YOU , swinging the world by the tail
Bouncing over a white cloud, ....killing the blues''

Been remembering wonderful times .. listening to some of your favourite songs..

Love xxx

I love you very much... and miss you ... xxx

hoganb  said about 3 years ago:

Miss you mate! Was playing a couple of songs we wrote together last night and they still bloody rock. I hope you heard it (wherever you are).

Te Adoro mi amor... xxx

electricsound  said about 3 years ago:

hey popboom when I find my cd copy of hoon it is yours

Hazel Eyes...

I wish I could turn back time.. to see your eyes... I love you and one day we shall meet again .... on the other side... xxx I know you know that :)

ps popboom I got a copy of Hoon if you'd like...

Devious  said about 2 years ago:

2 years coming up Benny, I'll try to pop along to the cemetery on Sunday, no longer have my old car so may have to cadge a lift. I'll bring some VB and pour one for you. Still miss you old friend and have never met anyone as interesting since you've passed.
Your mate
D

Blues  said about 1 year ago:

Hey Handsome .. .. Went to see Coldplay .. 2 of your songs were played.. I could feel you next to me... It was so magical ...

Left some roses for you the other day.. will go soon .. dream of you lots...XXX

Love Ya Hazel Eyes !

Now 3 years.. I see you looking down on me.. and spinning the sky... love ya so much Hazel Eyes
X

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.