View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Mouse on Mars tour

LeRayonVert  said about 3 years ago  or at  5:48PM on Sunday, August 1 2010 in events

Late October/early November shows in Bris/Syd/Mel/Perth. Anyone out there who can get an Adelaide show happening? Looks to be a bit of spare space on the schedule, if there's a local promoter who's keen then it might be possible.

SGH  said about 3 years ago:

Cool!

anok  said about 3 years ago:

31/10 corner hotel WTF awesome!

untold/animals  said about 3 years ago:

Amazing!

Better be bringing Dodo N'Kishi, assholes!

knomadix  said about 3 years ago:

WHOOOOOOOOT!!!

knomadix  said about 3 years ago:

small loud shows please!!

Pelt and/or Holler  said about 3 years ago:

so excited about this. going to be able to make both brisbane and sydney shows.

raven  said about 3 years ago:

It's been 11 years I think since I saw Mouse on Mars.
I think I'd better go!

LeRayonVert  said about 3 years ago:

I was wondering where all the MoM fans on M&N were!
I quickly decided that Adelaide wasn't going to happen and bought my ticket for the Corner.

radiotron  said about 3 years ago:

Niun Niggung still sounds so fresh!
desert island disc for sure

Every album they've done is great!

basil seal  said about 3 years ago:

rad.

black wasp!  said about 3 years ago:

Any dates?

nyx  said about 3 years ago:

31st October at The Corner.

basil seal  said about 3 years ago:

I heard a rumour that Laetita Stereolab is coming along...

arghgasm

percolator  said about 3 years ago:

According to her myspace she's playing shows in France then.

Arthurly  said about 3 years ago:

I saw at least 5 mint copies of the ''Vulvaland '' sampler ep from 1994 all in one store today - $10 a copy!

A1 Frosch 9:18
A2 Chagrin 6:14
B1 Die Seele Von Brian Wilson 7:43
B2 Future Dub 7:32

Don't suppose you're going to say where, eh.

Arthurly  said about 3 years ago:

I will once I return this afternoon to buy the Broadcast ''Book Lovers'' ep from the same bin.

So who's going to the Corner show?

I am (all the way from Adelaide).

squircle  said about 3 years ago:

I saw them in Auckland last night. Very strange gig to about 50 people. They were brought over by a local dance station but i think the only crowd there were the undanceable (including me) indie crowd. I went to see some experimental electronia but i think they stopped doing that years ago. Very techno but the most amazing/loud sounds. Must have been pissed off because they left after 40 minutes and the house music came on straight away. Long weekend though and the city was dead. How were they in OZ.

astrousersasmind  said about 3 years ago:

Very excited by this. Saw them a decade ago in Edinburgh and it was incredible. INteresting account squircle. Will report back.

brisbane show tomorrow night!

so so good

Dancey?

Drinks before the show? Day off the next day wahey!

very dancey

anok  said about 3 years ago:

tell us more.

Hazard_Man  said about 3 years ago:

Set times for the Oxford tonight?

ocelotl  said about 3 years ago:

Would like to hear more about the set they're playing... I would have loved to see them about a decade ago but since Idiology their stuff hasn't thrilled me, so I'm not sure about going to this. Reports pls?

Pelt and/or Holler said 2 days ago:

very dancey

um

SGH said 30 minutes ago:

Pelt and/or Holler said 2 days ago:
very dancey
um

That was basically my worry. So I don't really mind missing it. Always have been in two minds about MoM anyway.

Why the fuck is Markdown so shit? Quote indenting obviously all wrong above.

ElleBoog  said about 3 years ago:

Been looking forward to this, and I'm happy to hear that its going to be dancey. Is mess and noise an anti dance forum in general?

It's probably just a Mouse On Mars fandom thing... everybody holding on to the downtempo quirk of Iaora Tahiti or something.

Been looking forward to this, and I'm happy to hear that its going to be dancey. Is mess and noise an anti dance forum in general?

No (just search for your favourite forms of dance music or just ''dance music''), and I am not anti dance (maybe anti-house though).
However, Mouse on Mars' particular stylistic journey has not really excited me in its danceyness. I am not even that much of a fan of Iahora Tahiti. I like Glam the best (there, does that make me a particularly pretensious twat? ;) I hope so!) and prefer the more krautrocky/postrock/folktronic offerings.

Am simply somewhat so-so about MoM in general. I enjoyed them at some venue in London 10 years ago, appreciate their place in the experimental electronic continuum and the great work they did with the Sonig label, and can't really be bothered going out tonight.

flukazoid  said about 3 years ago:

I was going to go check 'em out but after a day of the gate I'm destroyed. kind of bummed...

Fuck off rain, I'm riding to Richmond.

Ghostface  said about 3 years ago:

they were pretty good last night but damn oxford arts was half empty yo

radiotron  said about 3 years ago:

left me cold in brisbane
i am a fan for the record.....

It was a really great show! And one of the best crowds I've ever seen at the Corner. Decent turn out for a rainy Sunday night. Support from Qua was first class as always, and I danced through the whole of MoM's set.

Didn't see the supports but I thought MoM's set was too heavy on convoluted beats and lacked the melody and structure that I really like about their records. I get that they can make beats and vocals bend in obtuse ways, but for a 60 minute show that's not really enough to keep my interest.

Yeah, I was really feeling the lack of melody too. I appreciate that they're always going to be much more upbeat and 'DJ settish' live vs on record - that's very typical of these sorts of bands - but I couldn't fight the lingering feeling of vacancy that was going on. Cool beats, but for what? Too many inconsequential basslines and not enough of those lovely hairy chords. Sorry if this sounds too critical. I kept trying to leave but couldn't quite make it out the door because I paid $40 for it. Seemed like a lot of people were on uppers too.

percolator  said about 2 years ago:

stream the new album here

squircle  said about 2 years ago:

Sounding really good. Started to dislike their recent stuff - too dancy for me.

ocelotl  said about 2 years ago:

Sounds to me like a return to form!

untold/animals  said about 2 years ago:

Kind of enjoying this so far.

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.