View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Canberra bands!

lessmore  said about 3 years ago  or at  9:01PM on Friday, June 18 2010 in music

I love The Fighting League, 'Canberra's premier punk band'. Dom is one of the most entertaining frontmen I have seen ever.
youtube

Teddy Trouble are silly and don't have any songs on their myspace, but here they are on youtube. Surf-inspired.

basil seal  said about 3 years ago:

Assassins 88 for your drum, bass, fuzz, fun

cat cat for your krauty new wave two piece good times

ah! Pandita for your laptop chanty girly fun.

Voss. They're fucking amazing.

lessmore  said about 3 years ago:

Jonny Telafone relocated from Canberra to Melbourne recently, but he still plays lots of shows up here so he still counts. This is a good song, it's amazing live.

PondRepellent  said about 3 years ago:

Horse MacGyver, innit?

pc  said about 3 years ago:

shaun  said about 3 years ago:

Mo  said about 3 years ago:

FUCKING VEEBEES CARNT!!!!!

I am Morris  said about 3 years ago:

Danger Beach rules. Dude from Assassins 88 innit?

Canberra literally rules right now. Visit my blog for live recordings of Assassins 88, The Fighting League and Horse MacGyver.

JudyDickslap  said about 3 years ago:

As I've mentioned ad nauseam, I fucken love the Vee Bees. Gotta organise a show with them in the near future.

COME ON, CUNT!

(big ups to any band with a lagerphone and whose members wear flip flops and stubbies on stage whilst sporting formidably unkempt facial hair)

Mo  said about 3 years ago:

LOWERED 3 INCHES TO GET THE BITCHES!

WHATTAYOU RECKON ABOUT ME UTE!

dickslap - after being a fan for yrs the only way i was gonna see them was to book them on shows haha so now every band i play in - when we play canberra - asks for the veebees

if you book them - they will come

I am Morris said 6 minutes ago:
Danger Beach rules. Dude from Assassins 88 innit?

Yup.

Don't know if they have a myspace, but Old Ace is also well and truly worth checking out. Played a ripping set at The Phoenix last night. Highlight was the song about the Dickson shops, it may well have been called 'Dickson Heroin Trade'. 10 out of 10. Members are ex- Soft Tigers and Young and Restless, but you wouldn't know it from their sound.

RoastOxCrisps  said about 3 years ago:

I'll have a Canberra band soon enough.

SHOOTIN' AND ROOTIN'!

We're due for another trip to the Bizzle, AND they're due for another trip down here, so I'ma gonna get all over that shiz.

BurtBacharach  said about 3 years ago:

I'm playing a little solo show at the Front Gallery in late November and keen to find a Canberran act to support. Doesn't have to be solo performer, but needs to be fairly low key volume-wise to suit the room. I got no idea of who to approach. Any suggestions?

bump

Tiger Tiger  said about 3 years ago:

The Church

You might want to get in touch with Warwick from Birds Love Fighting. Lots of ways you can contact him at the bottom of his website here.

Also, the Dream Damage website features a lot of the best Canberra bands. Danger Beach and Suica are good quieter bands.

thanks lessmore

babosorecordingco.  said about 3 years ago:

anybody got a contact for Danger Beach or Assassin88? Email?

you could try them through the dream damage page:

slothman  said about 3 years ago:

that's a pretty good lagerphone

thisispants  said about 3 years ago:

Anyone know of a Canberra band that needs a drummer? I'm moving there. I also play the drums.

goingblank  said about 3 years ago:

Definitely. You'll be in demand!

We'll never play a show 'cause the singer moved, but my pop band called Fig Newlies recorded a rough demo at the end of last year. Just popped one track up on the blog. We like bands like Shop Assistants, the Primitives, Sunny Sundae Smile-era MBV and so on.

I've been looking.... and am struggling. Anyone know of musicians in Canberra that need a drummer?

littlesmoke  said about 3 years ago:

Try joining the Canberra Muso Bank group on facebook. I could have used you three weeks ago, but alas...I now have a drummer!

Good tip. Thanks!

What kinda stuff are you into/looking to play?

MattuS  said about 3 years ago:

4 Dead! Playing The Townie in Newtown tomorrow night (april 14)

eucalyptus  said about 2 years ago:

Can anyone suggest some good local acts currently doing the rounds? Country, blues, surf or psychedelic preferably.

pc  said about 2 years ago:

Space Party for surf

lessmore  said about 1 year ago:

A very good album from Old Ace.

goingblank  said about 1 year ago:

Bad Lifers - dropkick punk from the ACT featuring members of Assassins 88, Danger Beach and Fig Newlies.

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.