View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Viz Comics

astrousersasmind  said about 4 years ago  or at  9:17AM on Wednesday, March 31 2010 in chat

Anyone know them? Into them? Favourite characters? Just rediscovered my limited collection and am now obsessed with getting more. Roger Irrelevant; He's Completely Hatstand? Roger Mellie the Man on the Tellie? Ivor the Skiver His Dad's a A Bad Driver? Top Tips such as:
A small coniferous tree in the corner of your living room is an excellent place to store Christmas decorations
Why waste money on expensive binoculars? Simply stand closer to the object you wish to observe.

Mean anything to anyone?

mrsjackwhite  said about 4 years ago:

I've got a whole heap of them from 15 years ago.

Johnny Fartpants & Mrs Brady Old Lady were my favs.

Top Tips - save on the cost of contacts by cutting small circles of gladwrap and pressing them on your eyeballs.

SheikYerbouti  said about 4 years ago:

Buster Gonad.

Oh.......and the Fat Slags!

outerspacextrapnel  said about 4 years ago:

I was just about to say the Fat Slags.

Bon Scott  said about 4 years ago:

Fru. T. Buns the Master Baker is my favorite............. ''Take that your fithy buscuit bitch''

I also love the Drunken bakers.....so so grim

Profanasaurus is also great for a laugh

DavidGNichols  said about 4 years ago:

I grew up reading English comics so this was a lot of fun.

Like a lot of the in-joke humour in Private Eye, the funniest thing about Viz was the repetition, and once you read a few issues it not only became funnier but also you felt like you were in a group who knew what was going on. That was probably a nice feeling for a lot of its readers.

Like the Family Guy, I feel that the satire was often lost in the bawdiness-gross out-misogyny (Fat Slags, Mrs Brady) and most of the readership probably just took that at face value rather than as satire. The strip I liked most of all was the Human League in space one, which wasn't very funny, but was about the Human League.

Twenty years ago I met with John Brown who was hoping to get the company I was working for to publish Viz locally. We didn't take it up (probably for the best, though who knows) but I did give him one piece of advice: whatever you do, don't rewrite the comics for a local audience eg replacing £ with $ or trying to smooth out the northern England-isms. I said Australians are used to English dialect and money and even if the Englishness is a drawback in the sense of comprehensibility, any attempt to change it will look like shit.

Imagine my surprise when that was exactly what they did - replaced the £s with $s, etc, in a really scrappy obvious way. I'm glad I gave them that idea. Not that I'm saying that's why the Australian version failed. But it's a sign of how unaware the Australian publishers were of their audience, in my opinion. Perhaps also of how hard it was to sell something like Viz in Australia. Though that doesn't explain the popularity of Monty Python etc here.

The UK version is still around and hasn't changed much.

theneworphan  said about 4 years ago:

Biffa Bacon. Ye callin wor a pouf?

I also love the Drunken bakers.....so so grim

plus one

I always felt kind of sorry for Biffa Bacon. His family were such cunts to him.

What was the one about the Black Bin Liner?

I still remember one of the letters to the editor.

I am a nurse, my brother is a teacher and my husband is a social worker.

One of my favourite letters:

Dear Viz,

About 6 months ago I was sitting in bed reading the newspapers with my husband when he let rip with a fart, that distinctly sounded like 'Pol Pot'. Imagine my shock the next day to read that the former Cambodian dictator had passed away.

After sharing a bath with my husband last night, and a similar incident occurring, I can only register the grave fears I now have for the health of Edward Woodward.

It was prescient too.

Texaco  said about 4 years ago:

mrsjackwhite said 49 minutes ago:What was the one about the Black Bin Liner?

Black Bag -The Faithful Border Bin Liner!

Texaco  said about 4 years ago:

Oh, & my fave was Rude Kid.

Up the Arse corner is gold

Kit  said about 4 years ago:

Imagine my surprise when that was exactly what they did - replaced the £s with $s, etc, in a really scrappy obvious way.

And that local The White Van Men strip they put into the early issues was fuckin dire.

Points for the artfulness of changing a reference to a TV channel where you can see foreign films with tits in 'em late at night from ''Channel Phwooooar'' to ''Channel Ohhhhhh!'' though.

kuroneko  said about 4 years ago:

Fat Slags, Sid The Sexist (''tits oot for the lads''), The Modern Parents, Roger Mellie, Black Bag - The Faithful Border Bin Liner, Ravey Davey, Finbarr Saunders and his Double Entendres, Student Grant... ah, memories...

Block  said about 4 years ago:

I used to like this, bought it regularly when I first moved to the UK in 1990.
There were a heap of knock-offs around too, which were uniformly shite.

questionmark  said about 4 years ago:

...it used to be quite funny.

questionmark  said about 4 years ago:

(groan)

I have the Viz Book of Crap Jokes at home.

Arthurly  said about 4 years ago:

Roger Irrelevant was my fave - ''He's completely hatstand!''

wibble! fish!

''He's completely hatstand!''

I still use that phrase occasionally.

intruder  said about 4 years ago:

Not sure if it was a one-off or a regular character, but i loved Metal Mickey - he has to have heavy

''D'ye play death speed?''

''If i was a drummer, ah'd use fuckin' hammers''

Modi  said about 4 years ago:

Viz and Fortean times were our lunchroom magazines of choice when i worked ina factory. Good factory. We got to listen to RRR and PBS on the radio, too.

dj  said about 4 years ago:

viz

I loved the modern parents. A couple of wankers I used to laugh at until I became one

LeRayonVert  said about 4 years ago:

I liked Christ on a Bike. Also Terry Fuckwit.
Top Tips were always great too.
Also liked the souvenir ads

busby  said about 4 years ago:

simon saladcream

TransientRandom  said about 4 years ago:

I still buy it every month. Finbarr Saunders is my favourite!

By month I mean 7/12ths of a year

wait... 12/7ths..7 times a year.

littlesmoke  said about 4 years ago:

Finbarr Saunders & Billie the Fish were always my favourites...all good though.

Top tip: A car radio aerial bent just the right way makes a handy replacement for a coat hanger

montyclift  said about 4 years ago:

fnarr...

but the fart joke letter back up there made me make a similar noise.

Eight ace!

voidster  said about 4 years ago:

Big Vern & Paul Whicker the Tall Vicar were my favourites.

peterpaulandmary  said about 4 years ago:

we sold loads and loads of Viz at the old Half A Cow store in the late 80s. Loads of em. They were in a cardboard magazine holder with 'Cheers' written above it. The backpackers loved it. ''fancy a shag?''

SGH  said about 4 years ago:

love

fnarr fnarr

intruder  said about 4 years ago:

Classic strips here - check out Balsa Boy. Makes me wish i had a stack of Viz to trawl through this weekend.

Yes a good formula to which they have added pretty much nothing in 20 years and presumably made a fortune from it. Bravo!

Urquhart Bluff  said about 4 years ago:

There was a great animated series of Roger Melly with Peter Cook voicing Roger.
Good evening and fuck.

Urquhart Bluff  said about 4 years ago:

And Terry Fuckwit was great. Terry Fuckwit - He's a bit of a fuckwit.

default.jamerson  said about 4 years ago:

The Mark Of Zorro:
'I give you seven out of ten Zorro'

ProDelgado  said about 4 years ago:

Biffa Bacon was always my favourite.

Chris Donald used to come into our shop quite regularly, but i've only met Simon donald once, he's a bit of a prick.

astrousersasmind  said about 4 years ago:

Classic strips here - check out Balsa Boy. Makes me wish i had a stack of Viz to trawl through this weekend.

Thanks for the link Intruder. Hilarious stuff there. I'm surprised how much some of those (better) earlier issues are going for at the Viz website. Vibrating Bum Faced Goats and Tinribs are still brilliant.

The Mark Of Zorro:
'I give you seven out of ten Zorro'

GENIUS!

So not genius.

Anyone with a moderately skewed perspective and a conservative sensibility and a day to do nothing but throw around ideas based on easy puns could do as well.

I'm not saying it's not fun. Can we just call it 'fun'?

Modi  said about 4 years ago:

That wasn't fun.

astrousersasmind  said about 4 years ago:

Anyone with a moderately skewed perspective and a conservative sensibility and a day to do nothing but throw around ideas based on easy puns could do as well.

Have just seen some decidedly average shows at the comedy festival recently so my comedic judgement may be slightly skewed.

ProDelgado  said about 4 years ago:

The new episode of South Park rips off Buster Gonad completely.

ocelotl  said about 2 years ago:

Pleased to discover that Viz Top Tips has a Facebook page, some recent posts:

GIVE your telly that YouTube feel by sellotaping some semi literate racial abuse to the bottom of the screen.

ADMIRING a large tree from afar is a cost effective alternative to owning a Bonsai tree.

slothman  said about 2 years ago:

a couble of my faves from a few years ago:

''harold and fred, they make women dead'' a one off strip about Fred West and Harold Shipman attempting to murder a new neighbour before the other does.

and one of those product ads entitled ''Ich bin Ein Naughty Boy!'' which was a baby made to look like hitler getting into the cookie jar.

ocelotl  said about 2 years ago:

one of those product ads entitled ''Ich bin Ein Naughty Boy!'' which was a baby made to look like hitler

Jesus, this is even better than you made it sound.

This hi-res version is well worth reading in full.

slothman  said about 2 years ago:

thanks. memories....

SGH  said about 2 years ago:

fucking <3 the 'goebbel' pun.

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.