View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Good Friday what is open?

fashionhayley  said about 5 years ago  or at  11:44AM on Thursday, April 9 2009 in chat

Ok so is

Coles open?

La Porchettas?

Savers?

101010101010101  said about 5 years ago:

Nothing.

september  said about 5 years ago:

seven eleven.

fish and chip shops probably.

time zone.

Modi  said about 5 years ago:

Yo momma

fashionhayley  said about 5 years ago:

Ok so I rang Savers and they are NOT open Friday or Sunday.

La Porchetta's is OPEN on Friday.

I didn't ring Coles but I am assuming they are closed.

Temet  said about 5 years ago:

No, no, and no.

OH NO I HAVE TO A DAY WITHOUT BUYING SHIT!!!!

Have a cry.

Exemptions to restricted trading days

Certain types of business are exempt from any restricted trading days. They can open whenever they wish throughout the year. The types of business that are exempt are:

* chemists
* petrol shops
* restaurants
* cafes
* takeaway outlets
* service providers
* hire outlets (including video stores)

La Porchetta's would be very close to the exemption limit.

Rufus  said about 5 years ago:

Savers, La Porchettas....

you're living the high life these days hayley!

anonymous  said about 5 years ago:

Can I open my shop on a public holiday?
Restricted trading days

Victorian law specifies that there are three and a half restricted trading days each year:

* Good Friday  
* Easter Sunday  
* Christmas Day  
* between 12.01 am and 1pm on ANZAC Day   

On these particular days, only exempt shops are permitted to open.

Exempt shops

Exempt shops are businesses that meet the following criteria:

• they have 20 or fewer persons employed in the shop at any time during a restricted trading day
  • the number of persons employed by the business and its related entities is no more than 100 at any time during the 7 days immediately before the restricted trading day

Easter trading

Easter Saturday is a public holiday, but no trading restrictions apply on that day. On Easter Sunday hardware shops and plant nurseries, irrespective of employee numbers, may also choose to open.

Exemptions to restricted trading days

Certain types of business are exempt from any restricted trading days. They can open whenever they wish throughout the year. The types of business that are exempt are:

• chemists
  • petrol shops
  • restaurants
  • cafes
  • takeaway outlets
  • service providers
  • hire outlets (including video stores)

In addition, a three year special exemption from Easter Sunday shop closing times has been granted to the following councils, and applies in 2009, 2010 and 2011:

• Surf Coast Shire – town of Torquay
  • Moira Shire – towns of Cobram and Yarrawonga
  • City of Greater Bendigo – entire municipality
  • Gannawarra Shire – entire municipality
  • Northern Grampians Shire – town of Stawell
  • Rural City of Mildura – City of Mildura
  • East Gippsland Shire – town of Lakes Entrance
  • Rural City of Swan Hill ­– entire municipality
  • Shire of Indigo – town of Beechworth
  • City of Greater Dandenong – the area within the boundary fence of the Sandown International Raceway

Recession chic, Rufus, it's so IN.

of course!

City of Greater Dandenong – the area within the boundary fence of the Sandown International Raceway

I don't know why this is so funny, but it is.

nyx  said about 5 years ago:

Church

intruder  said about 5 years ago:

Very little is open on Good Friday except for those places in designated tourism areas.

It's been like this for years. Nothing's changed. Why is it always so confusing and frightening for people every year?

is mentone a tourist area?

loveparade  said about 5 years ago:

its so fucked.....religious holidays shouldn't dictate when stores open. i might set up a stall selling beer at the royal easter show...

ed  said about 5 years ago:

Easternats!

its so fucked.....religious holidays shouldn't dictate when stores open. i might set up a stall selling beer at the royal easter show...

meh. big deal.

i'm sure there are days that aren't religious holidays when you don't go near a store.

Two days a year.

TWO

Toughen up.

View Comments 20 to 134

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

k2  said about 1 year ago:

If you are a bottle shop, then you dont have to pay anything above your normal licensing fees, but still have to pay staff penalty rates. If you are a shop that happens to also sell alcohol, you have to pay a large sum of money to sell booze on good friday - according to my local store that sells booze, the figure is about 10k. Not sure where pubs who sell over the counter fit in.

eucalyptus  said about 1 year ago:

But why? Jesus reasons? Seems a bit silly.

liamsnice  said about 1 year ago:

K2, I don't think that's true.

gabbo  said about 1 year ago:

Victoria
Liquor is on tap from 12 noon – 11pm today. Some venues may have obtained special conditions to serve earlier or later depending on their license, but this is on a case by case basis. Same applies to take away trade.
''Packaged liquor outlets can trade on Good Friday if it is allowed by their liquor license,'' a spokeswoman for the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation told news.com.au.
“Good Friday only alters the trading hours, not the supply, therefore venues that are authorised to supply on and off the premises can continue to do so.”

also, this from State Gov website -

Restricted trading days
Victorian law specifies that there are two and a half restricted trading days each year:

Good Friday
Christmas Day
between 12.01 am and 1pm on ANZAC Day.
On these particular days, only exempt shops are permitted to open.

Exempt shops
Exempt shops are businesses that meet the following criteria:
they have 20 or fewer persons employed in the shop at any time during a restricted trading day
the number of persons employed by the business and its related entities is no more than 100 at any time during the 7 days immediately before the restricted trading day

Every liquor licence is different. They all have different rules depending on where you are at, what zone, what you do etc.

If you want to alter your licence for one day (good friday for example) you can fill out an application to do so temporarily. This does not cost 10k to do, it would be more like a few hundred. Also, you can only do it 5 times a year I believe.

k2  said about 1 year ago:

If you want to alter your licence for one day (good friday for example) you can fill out an application to do so temporarily. This does not cost 10k to do, it would be more like a few hundred. Also, you can only do it 5 times a year I believe.

Weird, I should let the guy at TT Mart know. He had to block off the booze section of the shop all day yesterday as he didn't want to pay the ''10k''.

I may be wrong but I don't think so. But his licence may not allow him to trade.

illywhacker  said about 8 months ago:

City pubs open? I'm pretty sure I'll need a post-football drink.

poprocks96  said about 8 months ago:

Yes, public bar is open until 11pm.

lmc  said about 8 months ago:

I can't believe this is my first post for about two years but is northcote iga open tomorrow?

tugboat  said about 8 months ago:

Cobb Lane, Yarraville. .

@7seedscoffee 8-5
@brotherbudan 9-5
@hortus_7seeds 9-4

Assembly, Carlton

The Abbotsford Club

Deadman, South Melb

Brunswick East Project

that will do

singa  said about 8 months ago:

The public bar 12pm to 11pm plus miss Katie's crab shack 12pm to 9pm.

The old bar 4pm to 3am

flukazoid  said about 8 months ago:

Evilio  said about 8 months ago:

No bottle shops? Really?

pkBaxter  said about 8 months ago:

Find one attached to a pub, Evilio. Croxton Park Hotel, Lyndhurst, Albion Charles...
Should all be open.

pkBaxter  said about 8 months ago:

Or come down to The Public Bar and I'll sell you beer over the counter like a champ.

Evilio  said about 8 months ago:

I may have to launch a long and exhausting search for a bottle of whiskey... Might use Public Bar as a launching spot

woolfat  said about 8 months ago:

i was just reminded that some people expect things at easter time... like chocolate. all i know is that kmart and psarakos are closed and they were my only plans. northcote/thornbury area.

chimpassgimp666  said about 8 months ago:

Any gigs? Go to Springvale everything is open.

k2  said about 8 months ago:

Parkspew drive-through, open. Very little booze left.

liamsnice  said about 8 months ago:

McCoppins is open. All IGAs are open I believe.

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.