View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Buy a camera on monthly payments?

fashionhayley  said about 5 years ago  or at  1:03PM on Wednesday, January 7 2009 in chat

Can you buy a digital slr camera on a monthly instalment plan like you can a laptop? Where, what stores offer this? Thank you.

looch  said about 5 years ago:

you mean hire purchase, rental or layby ?

metalchicks  said about 5 years ago:

Considering the technology boom isnt it just easier to go to bank of dad?

fascisthayley  said about 5 years ago:

bitten Sie um um Harvey Normannen

fashionhayley  said about 5 years ago:

um I mean you get the camera and pay it off over 2 years on monthly payments. That is how I got my laptop, but that was from Dell.

My bank of Dad is closed, never opened.

nicko_mcbrain  said about 5 years ago:

by the time you've paid it off it would be nearly obsolete.

depending on what you start with and shoot of course.

most people have too much camera for what they actually want to do.

looch  said about 5 years ago:

what nicko said.... make a good paperweight when you have paid it off

See I work as a photographer, but don't get paid that much as its a start up company but with a great future. There was an article about my work in the Sunday Age. But that's beside the point, basically the camera that I have been using is rubbish, I need to upgrade, the camera I want is $1900 and I need it by March for Fashion Week. I have no way of getting that money right now.

jimmy hutspah  said about 5 years ago:

harvey norman does 50,000 days interest free credit.

fascisthayley  said about 5 years ago:

es gibt immer prostitution oder stripping.

Oh and I don't mind about the time it takes and that it costs more in the end, basically I need the camera NOW so that in the future I can make more money. Currently my photos are not print quality because the camera I use is only 5megapixels, I need more than 10, ideally 12megapixels to start to make money. Its an outlay now for my future.

traceymonster  said about 5 years ago:

I did it through flexirent at Harvey Norman over 2 years. Time's up in a couple of months and my camera's nowhere near obsolete for what I use it for. I'm very happy with it. I did it that way because I didn't have home contents insurance and breakage, loss, theft etc was covered in the rental agreement. Supposedly I only have to offer them a token amount when the time's up and the camera's mine. They don't really care how much you pay as it's more trouble than it's worth retrieving the thing off you.

pros (except for weddings) mostly shoot full-frame digital or medium format anyway. by the sound of your budget, your shooting for web or small prints only.

are you shooting for print or web or both? if your stuff will never be printed bigger than 8' x 10'' even a 6-8mp second hand dSLR would do you fine and can easily be had for sub $900, even lower on ebay.

if you never shoot over iso400, you can do get what you need for way less than you're talking.

'' Currently my photos are not print quality because the camera I use is only 5megapixels, I need more than 10, ideally 12megapixels to start to make money. Its an outlay now for my future.''

this is bollocks, hayley - read an article on resolution.

many billboards are shot with 6mp - the bigger you go, the further the viewing distance, the lower the dpi output res you need.

do some research.

This is what I was told Nicko by the people at The Age and my agent in New York, Nylon mag, ID mag need MINIMUM 10megapixels.

My stuff is only going to be printed small in magazines.

''My stuff is only going to be printed small in magazines.''

they are retards/dickheads/liars.

they say that to idiot-proof submissions; they just check the EXIF data of an image to make sure it's a 'good enough' camera, because layout subs are often just as clueless about resolution as the people holding the cameras...

all resolution is to do with is how many dots you need to make a continuous tone. look at anything close enough, and you'll see the dots.

resolution is all about viewing distance. for a glossy mag no bigger than about A4, you will almost NEVER need more than 240 dpi at the full image size for critical sharpness. most sharpness is lost through user error with cameras anyway.

a $500 second hand 8MP eos 350d would do everything you need it to at any iso up to 800, and 1600 is more than useable with some post-processing. this is the exact camera dangerous dan on this forum (dan boud - www.boudist.com) used to shoot magazine covers, rolling stone centre spreads etc for his first few years, and he's now at TimeOut syd and one of the most respected editorial photographers in the country.

ultimately, there is no such thing as a 'professional' camera - professionalism comes from knowing your shit and how to handle it.

waste money or don't, but how much you spend is entirely down to how much you know.

traceymonster  said about 5 years ago:

This is what I was told Nicko by the people at The Age and my agent in New York, Nylon mag, ID mag need MINIMUM 10megapixels.

That sounds like bollocks to me. An 8 megapixel camera can create an A3 size 300 dpi print. Magazines will never print at more than that and unless they're really large format there's no wat that wouldn;t be enough. I'd be spending money on getting a good lens rather than worrying about megapixels.

plastic  said about 5 years ago:

you could purchase a 10 mpixels+ for $400 or less... $2000 seems expensive

''That sounds like bollocks to me. An 8 megapixel camera can create an A3 size 300 dpi print.''

bingo.

i'm amazed you have an agent if you don't know what tools are required to do the 'job'.

and consider this: some of the best photogs in the world shoot for Nat Geo - their raw skills piss on any fashion hack.

the mag isn't even A4 size.

quality comes from skill, not tools.

fishandfingerpie  said about 5 years ago:

hahaha...i can hear the 'new york agent' leaning back in his leather chair, cigar in mouth, plumes of smoke rolling out his nose and saying to himself 'we'll see how much this 'fashionhayley' knows' and then his little bitch of an EA walking in and saying 'sir, fashionhayley on line 1...she says she has teh pixels..'

to be continued etc...

View Comments 20 to 95

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

Please delete this thread someone I am never starting one again

postergirl  said about 5 years ago:

i suppose it could - but then you as freelancer would know, poster, that it's unskilled hacks under-cutting pros that fuck up freelancing for a lot of people who have done hard yards to learn their shit.

If this is the case, it should spur you on to prove your worth! That's how I look at it. There's no point stewing about these things and remaining inert.

Look, Hayley has kind of tapped into the zeitgeist with what she does and clearly has lot of energy and ambition. To cut her down is just churlish in the extreme.

PS I don't care about fashion either, but that's not the point here.

i'm not cutting her down - i was short because the info is out there, she's been handed a line by someone who's a tit and doesn't know what they are on about and is just blindly following it, and it just seems lazy to not find out stuff for yourself (so there's the real inertia).

also: despite their being plenty of people involved with imaging on this forum - my first stop while hunting for photographic info wouldn't be a 'music forum'.

just sayin'.

ahem, their = there.

temporarybenbutler  said about 5 years ago:

Mad editorial skillz at work.

yeah, i have been happily unemployed for some time, tbb.

brain atrophy.

explains why i'm back here, i guess.

books  said about 5 years ago:

soooooooo

how abouts them Canon 450Ds? I've seen them new for about a grand with an IS kit lens.
There's some recommendations in here to buy one second hand - whereabouts would you go to do that? I don't know if I'd want to get a camera from someone on eBay and I'm even more wary about electrical stuff if it breaks.
I know you can get a 35 year old SLR and have it still work wonderfully but how reliable are the digital ones?

FrankieTeardrop  said about 5 years ago:

Wow, you people are harsh.

As a dilletante at most things, I must say I'd be rather put out at the one-upmanship displayed in this thread. As someone pointed out further upstream, anyone who does anything off their own backs without being an expert deserves our admiration and support.

I know nothing about the tech side of digital photography, having grown up using my dad's old Olympus OM-1 SLR, but if my enquiries on here were met with such arrogant responses I'd be incredibly pissed off.

Fashionhayley, just extract the information you need from the above and ignore the jibes. You know what you're doing. More power to you!

x FT

elle-zo  said about 5 years ago:

i've bought camera gear off ebay before. close pals are constantly buying other kinds of electrical gear off ebay, too. i mean - there are never any guarantees with second hand shit, but if the ebay seller is reputable and you know exactly what you are buying - then you should be fine.

you have to know what you are buying though - do your research.

books  said about 5 years ago:

someone with decent prepress knowledge would ask for images at NxNmm at 300dpi or similar, I've never seen a spec sheet asking for stuff in megapixels
I guess it's easier than trying to explain image resolution to the person on the street

aloha  said about 5 years ago:

ah, look - you think i ain't ever been called a know-all before?

no, i was being serious.

do you get sharp pains?

''having grown up using my dad's old Olympus OM-1 SLR''

same.

someone with decent prepress knowledge would ask for images at NxNmm at 300dpi or similar, I've never seen a spec sheet asking for stuff in megapixels

yep.

you have to know what you are buying though - do your research.

finally. concise wisdom.

This thread wasn't about what camera to buy. I already know the one I want because yes, I did research! This thread was about what shops do payment plans for camera's. Geez Louise.

nexus  said about 5 years ago:

hayley - do you have a website>? id' love to see your photos. not to make fun of you at all but i like to look at photos since i study it...feel free to PM it if you'd prefer not to make it public considering some of the harsh comments made on here.

I'd avoid payment plans, hell even get the d70 which yes is older but honestly not a huge jump up.

nexus  said about 5 years ago:

also if you're earning money off those photographs, anything you buy for your business is a tax deduction..ergo don't rush out and pay $1900 for what is an entry level camera..save your money for a higher end lenses and/or semi pro body when the money is rolling in.

trainbucket  said about 5 years ago:

i could handle some advice..

I was a product of my generation and decided i needed the best out there and paid for a 40D canon body about 6 months ago, but could only afford the $150 standard 50mm lens to accompany it, which is actually a really nice lens, i was told back in the day that was the standard lens to come with an SLR (back in the day of film)..

anyways, i want to go travelling, want to get a good zoom lens. would i be better off cashing in the 40D for maybe a 350 or 450 and upgrading my lens? can't afford to spend much more on the lens, i was looking at the EF 24-105 f/4L but its about $1400...

trainbucket - keep the 40D, it's a great APS-C sized sensor body, better than the 350 or 450d by a fair way.

forget the 1400L - you can get it's optical equal (if not it's equal in build quality) in the form of the Tamron 17-35, or 28-75 if you don't mind sacrificing a little range at the wide end. sharp as a tack and handles well. should be able to grab one off ebay or from a camera shop secondhand for between $500-700. i sold my own to a chat on here (wonky? wonsly? can't remember - sydney chat, anyway) and they are both cracking lenses.

tokina make similarly high-quality offerings (if not even better) in a similar price range or for slightly more. L-series quality is not consistent across the board, some are WAY better than others. the 24-105 is pretty damn good, but on your 40D it becomes a 1.6 x that length, ie. a 30-something to ~ 140 odd. so longer in the telephoto, worse in the wide end. that particular zoom is matched for a full frame sensor, a la the 5D, 5DII.

anok  said about 5 years ago:

great post frankie.

plenty of folks here enjoy your work hayley. don't let a sourpuss or two drive you away from m+n. keep hittin' it!

radiotron  said about 5 years ago:

Olympus OM-1 FTW!!!!

TimChuma  said about 5 years ago:

Just go take photos and stay well away from useless photo discussion boards.

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.