View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

The Moffs! 2CD Set & Shows

VoxFuzz  said about 6 years ago  or at  10:12AM on Friday, August 8 2008 in music

Yippee.

THE MOFFS: THE COLLECTION

The Moffs proved to be rather unique within the Australian independent scene of the 1980's - even within the confines of their record label, the Sydney based Citadel Records. Sure, they shared their label mates predilection for a good paisley shirt and pointed boots, (Lime Spiders, The Stems et al), but the comparisons stop just about there.

While their contemporaries took inspiration for the most part from US sixties and seventies garage rock, The Moffs took their influence more from the UK and the mod, psychedelic and prog-rock scenes of the same time. As a result it set them apart from the pack, as release after release topped the Australian independent charts (including 16 weeks for their 1985 debut chart-topper 'Another Day in the Sun') and drew blubbering praise from both the UK and European press.

“This is the best of the flawless series of Citadel singles (a dozen superb 45s to date) and believe me the competition is fierce! I demand a whole Moffs LP immediately, if not sooner, in the meantime BUY THIS RECORD!''.... Bucketful of Brains UK

The intensity could not be maintained however, and four years after their stunning debut, and subsequent three more indie-chart toppers, The Moffs were no more.

Fast forward to 1994 and The Moffs - at the behest of one-time former Moffs member Brandon Saul - reform to perform at the inaugural Byron Bay Arts & Music Festival and for sold out club shows in Sydney and Melbourne. Fast forward again to 2008 and The Moffs will reappear again.

This time however, the band have reformed to support the release of a 2CD set: The Moffs – ‘The Collection’ featuring all five of the bands Citadel releases (3 x singles, mini-album and full length album) plus rare and unreleased material including ‘11 – 5’, their infamous six-track cassette demo only release. A total of 30 tracks, 11 of which are to be released on CD for the first time.

Also included in the 2CD package is a 24 page booklet chronicling The Moffs rapid rise from the Sydney beach suburb of Maroubra; to darlings of the inner-city scene; to world wide cult status courtesy of that debut indie smash. Complete with rare photos, handbills, poster art, and with liner notes documented and researched by Feel Presents musical historian Tim Pittman, ‘The Collection’ tells the story in full candid detail and continues in the tradition of fine Feel Presents archival releases.

The Moffs – ‘The Collection’ is to be released to shops on August 30th and is distributed locally by Shock.

For anyone wanting an earlier fix, however, Feel Presents will have mail order stock ready from August 22nd. Click here for full details:

VoxFuzz  said about 6 years ago:

Oh, that cut me off. More:

Tickets for the reunion shows meanwhile, featuring founding members singer/guitarist Tom Kazas and bassist Smiley Byrnes, alongside drummer Andrew Byrnes (The Moffs: 1986-1989); plus special musical guests, are to go on sale August 8th.

Friday 19th September: Sydney, The Factory, Marrickville + Cloud Control

Tickets $20.00 + bf from The Factory Box Office on 9550 3666 or www.factorytheatre.com.au. Also available from feelpresents.oztix.com.au , the Metro Theatre Box Office on 9550 3666 or online from www.metrotheatre.com.au

Saturday 20th September: Melbourne, East Brunswick Club + Sand Pebbles

Tickets $20.00 + bf available from the venue, via phone: 9388 9794 or via the website www.eastbrunswickclub.com

djbollocks  said about 6 years ago:

I'd be interested to hear those early demos.

Another Day in the Sun is one of my favourite songs of all time.

Ubu  said about 6 years ago:

No Hislop?

Some Hislop, but not much. But maybe none for you. But you won't be here anyway. Ow.

looch  said about 6 years ago:

Not much Hislop ... but AB is a phenominal drummer

Do you have a Moffs tattoo.

looch  said about 6 years ago:

Yes - on my schlong

MrsLooch?

bamesjaker  said about 6 years ago:

Another Day in the Sun is one of my favourite songs of all time.

Ditto

HEB  said about 6 years ago:

I remember the first time I hear Another Day in the Sun - blew me away
Was my first purchase from Citadel - lovely 7''
Ripped it onto minidisc so I could take it away with me.
It was ages before it turned up on a CD compilation

questionmark  said about 6 years ago:

fuck

Another weekend for yourself and your lady in Sydney, questionmark? Or Melbourne?

Kez  said about 6 years ago:

Them Offs.

fethehellcat  said about 6 years ago:

My sister loved The Moffs, as I recall, but I can't remember ever actually having heard them. I wonder if I'd like.

hmmm

I'ma go to this

Sydney or Melbourne, QM?

CDs are out now!

sydney

thenewmeatloaf  said about 6 years ago:

wonder where I can get my hands on some acid for this gig? maybe smiley will make the joke about there not being mush room in the venue again!

btw, voxy, who's playing keys? I can get in touch with Mick Duncan if required...

Here is the most helpful post I will ever do:

btw, voxy, who's playing keys?

''Some guy... not an ex-Moff.''

View Comments 20 to 93

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

wipey  said about 6 years ago:

whooo drinkies for dirtylover all night!
whooo

What a night for the ladies!

LaxCharisma  said about 6 years ago:

That means your in trouble Wipey. BIG TROUBLE!!!

dirtylover  said about 6 years ago:

whooo drinkies for dirtylover all night! whooo

maybe not driving me home if that happens Wipey!!

So I should expect a knock around 4:30ish then Dirty Lover ;) ?

dirtylover  said about 6 years ago:

nah I think Wipey's is closer and he'll still be buying me beers

wouldn't wanna upset the captain, but thanks anyway

maybe not driving me home if that happens Wipey!!

Stay at mine if ya want. I don't mind pissed idiots...when I'm pissed myself. But If I'm sober fucken shutup and stop repeating yourself.

Yeah you only drink cocktails now don't you Dirty Lover?

Those $12.50 numbers. Thats nice of Wipey to buy them for you.

bails

thenewmeatloaf  said about 6 years ago:

That.

was.

fucking.

amazing!

I really miss acid right now......

great show

jimmytrash  said about 6 years ago:

Cant believe im in Berlin with nothing that good to seee...........

bamesjaker  said about 6 years ago:

Excellent show.

Kez  said about 6 years ago:

Missed it. Bum.

Ya missed out Kez. In Sydney at least. Can't speak for Melbourne, but there's no reason to disbelieve jaker despite his penchant for AFL over League.

great to hear the cassette stuff finally!

dirtylover  said about 5 years ago:

some good footage on the moshcam site

flashbacks!

especially like the start of Tombstone with Hislop having a beer

Kez  said about 3 years ago:

Gigs!

FrankieTeardrop  said about 3 years ago:

Yes! Gigs!

Sydney:
Fri 23 September
Sandringham Hotel
as part of the Sydney Fringe Festival’s ‘On The Street’ live series.

Melbourne:
Fri 7 October
Caravan Club, with Ups and Downs

Sat 8 October
Corner Hotel, with Huxton Creepers,
Up & Downs, Wolfy & The Bat Cubs

Kez  said about 3 years ago:

Yeah!

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.