View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

24 hour bottle-Os

zadie  said about 5 years ago  or at  1:06PM on Monday, August 4 2008 in chat

What the fuck is going on with the bottle shops?

Can someone please find/write some kind of expose on this shit. Victoria has officially moved from Nanny state to a Police state.

For those of you who don't know; 24 Hour bottle shops in Melbourne are for an unexplained reason now closing at 2am for the next couple of weeks. This includes the exford, and both on lygon st. The only 24 hour place still open is one on chapel st.

What the fuck is going on??

scallywag  said about 5 years ago:

what's a 24 hour bottle shop?

Block  said about 5 years ago:

Heaven, scally.

Inactivist  said about 5 years ago:

The only one within walking distance of my house is still open so what's your damn problem, zadie?

PaulsGrandfather  said about 5 years ago:

Plan ahead? I can't recall the last time I needed to make a bottle-o trip at 4am.

littlearch  said about 5 years ago:

last time we had drinking times at my house, i cracked the shits when we ran out of beer and cigarettes more or less simultaneously and went to bed at about 1.30

the boys went up the road and bought more beer and more cigarettes and continued drinking until the next day

that was a couple of months ago

the railway is awesome

It's a lovely spot around 2.00am on Friday or Saturday. Or Saturday & Sunday if you are a pedant.

plastic  said about 5 years ago:

there is an extremely late opening bottle shop on Riversdale Rd near hotel ... not sure if it is 24hr maybe like 4am ... it could be devastating, suppose if you have a party $ run out of drinks ...

de.foxus  said about 5 years ago:

Plan ahead? I can't recall the last time I needed to make a bottle-o trip at 4am.

not really the point. it's not that we need it, it's more that the option is being taken away with no discernable reason.

it's just gonna make people on the street angrier once they've been locked out of somewhere if they can't get more booze and head to someone's house.

PaulsGrandfather  said about 5 years ago:

I would assume the reason is to prevent drunk people who have just been booted out of clubs from buying more alcohol and drinking on the street or in parks.

But perhaps they should have, at least, said that instead of doing it on the sly.

if it's illegal to be drinking on the street and in parks, maybe they should increase police presence in the areas that it's happening, rather than take the option away for those who aren't abusing it?

it's a bit cold to be drinking in parks at the moment

plus that usually happens during school holidays

andyr  said about 5 years ago:

I would assume the reason is to prevent drunk people who have just been booted out of clubs from buying more alcohol and drinking on the street or in parks.

if someone had been booted out of a club because they were drunk you would hope the bottle shop wouldn't serve them either

late night bars and bottle shops aren't only for drunk people, there are plenty of hospitality and night shift workers who feel like a drink after work

The Railway will serve pretty much anyone, andyr.

even block

Barman  said about 5 years ago:

there are plenty of hospitality and night shift workers who feel like a drink after work

A bit of pre-planning might not go astray.

I remember the 24-hour Journo's Club days in Sydney. 1 journo for every 10 railway workers at 4am.

littlearch said 1 minute ago: even block

I've been in there often enough, rach.

hence my point

i'm just saying it would be better to enforce rsa than to shut down late night bottle shops

I've never been refused service at any of the several fine establishments I frequent, actually. The staff in that licensed convenience store near the Metro in Bourke St got a bit twitchy once, but that's about it.

i'm just saying it would be better to enforce rsa than to shut down late night bottle shops

which is what we all said about the lockout, too. which also fell on deaf ears. i'm getting the major irrits.

Barman  said about 5 years ago:

I've never been refused service at any of the several fine establishments I frequent, actually.

Neither have I...that I remember.

the only time i have ever been refused service was some trendy bar where they had a rack of all the beers they served up on the wall but without any lighting

i was squinting trying to see if they had something or other, and couldn't see it so asked for it, and they said if i couldn't read the labels i was too drunk

i hadn't actually had anything to drink :/

richieramone threw me out of the tote once

You should get your drinks from late night bottle shops more often, andy.

SGH  said about 5 years ago:

Exford was never 24hr was it? I was under the inpression it shut at 3am, and when driving past at 2.50am on Saturday night/Sunday morning is was open.

The Lygon street one (Il Primo) shut for unrelated reasons before the 2am lockout commenced...

i thought exford was til 7 ish, or when the rest of the pub shut?

latest i've been purchasing there is about 2:30 am though.

blueberry  said about 5 years ago:

You guys have 24 hr bottle'os ? No fair all the ones here have to shut at 11pm. It is mega el crap'o

zadie  said about 5 years ago:

maybe not 24 hour, but definitely not two oclock. they had a sign on the door saying it was shutting at two for the next couple of weeks and then it would go back to 7am. The two late nighters on lygon st were both shut as well.

zadie  said about 5 years ago:

i think it was 7, whatever normal closing time is.

But no explanation!!

I don't care if they do this, but surely the police or whoever are behind it should be required to inform the public that their services are being taken away?

LockingPlier  said about 5 years ago:

richieramone threw me out of the tote once

What a cunt.

not really, i kind of deserved it

SGH  said about 5 years ago:

7am? Why am I always insistent that CBD booze runs have to happen before 3... That's okay then.

bungle  said about 5 years ago:

WTF!

registradus  said about 4 years ago:

i'm so over this shit.

i want to go to a gig.

then i want to get a six pack.

then i want to go home.

peacefully.

fucked.

registradus  said about 4 years ago:

party.

albatrizzle  said about 3 years ago:

there's a dude in sydney who delivers booze 24 hours. pretty good prices for beer
www.blindpigsydney.com

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.