View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

The Oblivians related

Ubu  said about 8 years ago  or at  4:38PM on Thursday, October 12 2006 in music news

There should be a thread on M+N about The Oblivians, and all the off shoots. Now there is.

Jack Oblivian's new album is out this month on Sympathy For The Record Industry. Here's what the label had to say:

Link to SFTRI

JACK O AND THE TENNESSEE TEARJERKERS - FLIPSIDE KID

"This new cd was inspired by drunken fans telling ol' Jack-O that his 'So Low' cd (Sympathy) is the best thing he had done on his own. Hmmm.....Recorded at the bottom of a bottle with the finest Scully and Teac tape machines, the cd features name brand musicians such as Margaret Garrett, Jimbo Mathis, King Louie Bankston, Mark Sultan, & Harlan T. Bobo. A number of tracks have Jack playing most instruments himself. The songs included are diverse in styles but wear the same hat --- a black fedora. The opening track 'Flipside Kid' is a mid-tempo heavy fuzz riff layered with a Mar-key's like horn section that leads straight into a spaghetti western run on 'Til the money Runs Out'. Displaying his knack for story-telling, Jack-o takes you for a long stroll in a dark alley with 'Nick the Knife' while in 'Hong Kong Girl' a mail order bride makes a run for it to the sound of a funky Bobby Womack wah-wah with a back-pak full of Iggyishness. Paying homage to an American folk hero, 'John Holmes Blues' is full of true-to-heart weirdness. 'Dirty Nails', with its scratchy touch of zydeco, adds a spicy flavor to this eclectic soup. Holy cow shit Batman I'm giving the whole thing away here. Other tunes 'Night Owl', a New Orleans standard by Bobby Loveless, is an up-beat feel good dance R&B number with lyrics that sound like a domestic dispute. 'Black Boots' is a tune about, well... some boots. The inside of the CD case has a pile of photos to look at, so buy it from Sympathy and support the back bone of Rock and Roll.
you knows I loves you, Big Al Chilliwack"

jacko

• Flipside Kid
  • 'Til The Money Runs Out
  • Dirty Nails
  • Golden Age
  • Nick the Knife
  • Hong Kong Girl
  • Chills And Fever
  • Black Boots
  • I Live for Today
  • John Holmes Blues
  • The Man Who Loved Couch Dancing (instrumental)
  • I Can't Find My Way Back Home
  • Night Owl
  • I Want You

Listen to 4 of the new songs here:

Jack Myspazzo

Sounds shithot in my ears!

Lorenzo St Dubois  said about 8 years ago:

I can't wait to get this. I love both his solo records, particularly "So Low" (as you're only too aware, Ubu), and the first Tearjerkers record, "Bad Mood Rising" is fine garage twang.

The Jack Oblivian Band played a set at the recent Gonerfest 3. You can download a few songs from that on this thread.

spotswood  said about 8 years ago:

could you say the Compusive Gamblers are related

Considering they comprise two thirds of the Oblivians, that's about as related as related can be.

yokesthetenth  said about 8 years ago:

goodness

Ubu  said about 8 years ago:

Yes you could, and you should, and you should buy everything you can get your hands on....if you like it, that is.

"Compulsive Gamblers - Crystal Gazing, Luck Amazing" is my pick, others might disagree.

Bugsy.  said about 8 years ago:

i have never heard the oblivians but i think i might like them
what album should i get?

Hmm, I would like to pose a question. Has Greg Cartwright or Jack Yarber ever released anything substandard? Maybe it would be easier to suggest to people what to avoid, rather than what to buy.

"Soul Food" is a good start, Bugsy.

soulfood

questionmark  said about 8 years ago:

I don't think Soul Food is the best place to start. It sounds..... different. Is there a comp of those early singles/EPs?

The only thing I can think of that people are in two minds about is Greg Oblivian & The Tip Tops, which is his home recorded bong noodling record. But then that has the original version of "Bad Man" complete with Glockenspiel which appeared before the Oblivians' version, so it's worth SOMETHING, right?

"Soul Food" is the comp of early singles, ?.

DaisyB  said about 8 years ago:

sympathy sessions!

popular favourites!

I like pretty much most of what I've heard Jack and Greg record , though I really can't stand the first Reigning Sound record.

milesmonroe  said about 8 years ago:

me likey. me likey a lot.

littlearch  said about 8 years ago:

i like what i've heard which admittedly is only what daisyb and mabo have played me

i like reigning sound a lot

I like Reigning Sound a lot too, but don't you think their first record was terrible?

Not that it really matters

"Break Up Break Down" is my least favourite of Greg's. Although I don't think you can call it "terrible" by any means. It's just an extension of what Compulsive Gamblers did with "Two Thieves" on Crystal Gazing. Personally I would like to hear a down right country album with Greg....that would be ace.

yeah, I guess 'terrible' is a bit strong

questionmark  said about 8 years ago:

ah fk that's right. it's been a while. those 10"s are good though.

Yup, that's the Sympathy Sessions stuff. I think there's some extra songs on the CD but I wouldn't know 'cos Oblivians on CD seems so ardently gay. I wonder what the "different" stuff you're thinking of is, maybe the gospel album?

View Comments 20 to 82

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

swahili bob  said about 2 years ago:

the Parting Gifts album is great too

heres some footage I shot at Gonerfest

rigid  said about 2 years ago:

reigning sound's a better band.

Did you like Love and Curses? I thought it was adequate at best. Game over for those guys for me. I'll hang on to the second and third albums.

blake3030  said about 2 years ago:

Gotta say, I enjoy Reigning Sound's albums more than the Oblivians albums... but the Oblivians 7''s are untouchable. Blew my cool, Strong come on, Kick your ass 7''s are so so good.

Zac  said about 2 years ago:

I was unaware of it until just yesterday but Reigning Sound did an album for Scion last year.

It's called Abdication and you can download it here

Lots of organ and a re-record of Watching My Baby.

celluloid hero  said about 2 years ago:

yeah love and curses is real good. i dunno it's a bit silly to compare em i guess, i'm just happy with what greg was already doing, so. and reunions have just never really done it for me. maybe this one will, we'll see

memphis  said about 2 years ago:

swahili bob  said about 1 year ago:

Oblivians streaming live this Sunday arvo somewhere between 2 & 5pm our time - live from Memphis at
http://www.rocketscienceaudio.com/stream

sadly the last show for the Hi Tone

Zac  said about 1 year ago:

Very sad indeed.

Hope they find a suitably sized place for all the Gonerfest nights.

swahili bob  said about 1 year ago:

tihstar  said about 1 year ago:

New album is streaming via Pitchfork. Starts off a bit week but hits its stride about halfway through. No immediate classics but I'm liking what I'm hearing.

definitely  said about 1 year ago:

I'm waiting until the vinyl arrives at my doorstep before I give it a listen. Excited!

richieramone  said about 1 year ago:

Me too. Mine might be here tomorrow and hoping it's a blue vinyl baby!

MissAustralia2003  said 24 days ago:

there's a problem with that faecebook page, The Tote is not in Brisbane, perhaps link Queenslanders seeking tickets to the Brisbane venue not the Tote.

oort  said 24 days ago:

juicenewton*  said 24 days ago:

righto- so Barwon Club it is!

anonymous  said 2 days ago:

SUPPORTS

Wednesday 4 March
Newtown Social Club, Sydney (tix)
With feedtime, Low Life & Housewives

Thursday 5 March
Brisbane Hotel, Hobart (tix)
With The Roobs, A.D Skinner & Powernap

Sunday 8 March
Golden Plains Festival
w/ Parquet Courts, Radio Birdman, Sharon Van Etten, The Village People and more

Monday 9 March
Barwon Club, Geelong (tix)
w/ Hits, Warped, The Living Eyes, The Kremlings & Hierophants

Wednesday 11 March
The Tote, Melbourne (tix)
w/ Ausmuteants & Midnight Woolf

Thursday 12 March
w/ feedtime & Leather Towel

Friday 13 March
w/ The UV Race, Tyrannamen & Wet Blankets

Saturday 14 March
Wooly Mammoth, Brisbane (tix)
w/ The Onyas, Woodboot & Happy Times

ALL AMAZING

Ralph Malph  said 2 days ago:

Wow, feedtime

MelonHCST  said 2 days ago:

That Sydney lineup

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.