View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Friday Night Lights

juicenewton*  said about 6 years ago  or at  9:04PM on Wednesday, April 16 2008 in television

The series. I haven't seen the movie or read the book.
Usually I can't stand american football, but it's got me hooked after 1 show. Maybe it's the theme of sporty glory in small town that I know all too well, or maybe I'm baffled by just how much middle America prays.

Anyway, disscuss if seen or glimpsed.

drugshakehands  said about 6 years ago:

it's one of my favourite shows, i've ordered the second season from amazon and it gets shipped this week. tim riggins, eric taylor and matt sarasen, they're fantastic characters. it's an unusual because the pilot is very good.

ProDelgado  said about 6 years ago:

I really enjoyed it, and thankfully it's just been picked up for a third season. Some of the plots in Season 2 are a little bit wayward...well, one in particular, but you'll know what I'm talking about after you watch it.

Great soundtrack too.

aloha  said about 6 years ago:

i love friday night lights. i'm up to somewhere in season 2.

astralwerkor  said about 6 years ago:

Isn't this on Ten HD? I really, really would like to see it.

juicenewton*  said about 6 years ago:

I'm quite surprised channel 10 haven't picked it up. Just right right amount of soap, drama and no real swearing.

finally finished watching season 2, this show is great. the soundtrack is great as well. besides explosions, there's all wilco and the replacements. i think i'm going have to get the movie out.

the movie is worth watching.

the new season begins today or tomorrow.

juicenewton*  said about 6 years ago:

Ha drugs I just happened to watch the very last ep. of season 2 last night again -such a cliffhanger because of the writer's strike. I'm excited for new season.

mushymouth  said about 6 years ago:

yeah, the movie is good as well. Billy Bob Thornton is great!

landry is one lucky motherfucker.

falls in love with crucifictorious' new bass player

juicenewton*  said about 5 years ago:

Ha ha! she is a little cutie. I was laughing with a mate at how there is on average 5 pep talks in each ep. and Timmy Riggins swoon just gets hotter with each passing day (tho I still have a soft spot for Sarensen).

poofpoof  said about 5 years ago:

awesome show.

ed  said about 5 years ago:

Just powered through this pretty quickly. Season Two very dodgy and the awkward writer's strike cutoff didn't really work. The plotline ProD's on about is really bad, and a couple of characters became really boring.

Third season was a return to form and the setup for the next looks promising. Landry the main man?

poofpoof  said about 5 years ago:

I get teary nearly every episode. The drama is so rich. Half of the kids living in broken families is much more real than Neighbours. Drugs, orgies, right under the nose of right-wing christians..

Also I think it kind of sign posts America's nascent self-awareness. More Americans are becoming aware of how bizarre their culture is, and this series reflects their self-reflection quite well. Some Americans are still blind to how bizarre their behaviour is, it's a striking cultural dichotomy. The characters who see the bizarreness (coach and his wife, the outside observers) interact with those becoming aware of the bizareness (the students, who can't handle the pressure the bizarre culture is putting on them so have to reassess why they are giving in to it), and the full-bred, closed minded Texans who are bizarre, each reflect the three stages of learning how to self-reflect on your society. It's a cool character structure.

How fucking cool is the coach and his wife's relationship? Reminds me of my last long termer, every issue always ended jokingly. Great role models.

Peter  said about 5 years ago:

fortunately, bizarre American culture has been well documented. although It's a barely perceptible theme within the movie's enormous sub-plots, i love the scene in Giant when the kids are hand feeding a very large and caged Turkey (forget the bird's name). next scene shows a Thanksgiving dinner Texas-style with a butler - black dude, of course... - ferrying a very large cooked Turkey towards an appreciative table groaning with swells. except the kids, the same who'd fed the bird, started crying and asking if that was the same (nameless) bird. of course it was, and while it may seem tame by comparison it was made in the mid-50s. director George Stevens did a great job of lambasting his fellow citz with this excellent film. bonus is James Dean, who I've never really liked that much, but steals several scenes from Rock Hudson by using not much more than a bit of nervous fidgeting.

ProDelgado  said about 5 years ago:

I thought that Season 3 would have been a pretty good way to end the whole show, but it looks like I'm wrong, as it has been renewed for another two seasons, they're going to follow the same format as this season, where it airs on DirectTV in america way in advance of NBC.

Cool.

drugshakehands  said about 5 years ago:

the garritty/coach taylor relationship reminds me of malthouse/mcguire. c'mon the east dylan lions! i love how coach taylor always calls landry 'lance'.

Snake  said about 5 years ago:

Hey, I just had season 2 delivered today. Watched a couple of episodes tonight. I watched season 1 about a year ago.

Great show.

season 3 is great as well.

ed  said about 5 years ago:

Season 2 was just unfortunate.

the bass player from crucifictorius is a babe, hopefully she stays for season 4.

aloha  said about 5 years ago:

i hope season 4 doesn't jump the shark.

even if it does, the first three seasons are almost my favourite television show of this decade.

ProDelgado  said about 5 years ago:

looking forward to the return.

Wonky  said about 5 years ago:

Season 4 has started off really well, with the coach having to build the team up from nothing. odds on for a Lions vs Panthers state final.

I powered through the first 3 seasons over a couple of weeks. Easily one of the best shows on television at the moment.

juicenewton*  said about 5 years ago:

oohhhh baby I was scared about the new season, but it's shaping up ace!

So good to see a show hold onto the key players in a logical way and let the others flow in and out on occasion + Austin landmarks a go go!!

juicenewton*  said about 4 years ago:

ProDelgado  said about 4 years ago:

The last episode of Season 4 was aired last night in USA, and they've confirmed that Season 5 will be the last one.

anok  said about 4 years ago:

getting my first look at this finally. explosions in the sky already buggin me worst band in the world.

moribunderast  said about 3 years ago:

On the home stretch now. Only five more episodes of FNL to go. Still fantastic. New characters are good but I miss Landry.

kazpatafta  said about 3 years ago:

Just waiting for the last ever ep to be uploaded to the torrents.

Tara looks way hotter with dark hair.

Wonky  said about 3 years ago:

She looks like Mandy Moore with dark hair. Preferred the blonde bob she used to have.

Either way, Mrs Coach is the hotness on FNL.

Last episode coming up, I'm pretty sure it's going to make me cry like a girly man.

juicenewton*  said about 3 years ago:

Good ol' ABC 2 are gonna show this soon. Yay!

mrmagoo  said about 3 years ago:

just into season 4 of this one

it still bugs me from the last season, what happened to Santiago???

Little Ted  said about 3 years ago:

haha!! I LOVE Friday Night Lights..
Texas Forever!

aloha  said about 3 years ago:

when is the next season?

it feels like it has been YEARS.

moribunderast  said about 3 years ago:

It's all finished. 5 seasons all up. Does it air on Aussie TV?

gabbo  said about 3 years ago:

yup... abc2. they are in season 2 i think.

Haff  said about 2 years ago:

So I started watching this. My god the crippled quarterback is a whiney bitch...

Wonky  said about 2 years ago:

If I was crippled and my hot-as-hell girlfriend cheated on my with Riggins I'd be pretty whiny too.

If anyone on this show is whiny, it's Lyla.

Wonky  said about 2 years ago:

ps - Riggins and Landry are BOTH in that Battleship movie.

whatwhat  said about 2 years ago:

about part way thru season 1. this is surprisingly good.

clear eyes full hearts can't lose!

slothman  said about 2 years ago:

i'll tell you what

y'all

luke  said about 11 months ago:

I only just started watching this show. It's awesome. There's a Thomas Wolfe reference and a kid called ''gracie bell'' and lots of funny moments. I Like how ''coach'' is always wearing his uniform.

I stream it on netflix. Netflix is awesome. Just like pay tv, only the cost is minimal.

swahili bob  said about 11 months ago:

yep - great show we watched it every friday nite for ages - when it finished we started on Necessary Roughness - also about football (the the first season anyhow)

now about to watch Nashville - just to see how Tammy Taylor goes as a country singer

whatwhat  said about 11 months ago:

Nashville is pure cheese and has some ridiculous story lines akin to the Landry murdering Tyra's stalker silliness.

Quite entertaining tho.

moribunderast  said about 10 months ago:

The Parenthood / Friday Night Lights worlds collide! This makes no sense and has no reason to exist but it is the best thing in the world today.

eucrid_eucrow  said about 10 months ago:

Haven't read the thread for fear of spoilers, but just want to say that we started watching this over the weekend and I can't think of a superior opening episode/pilot in any other series. Perfectly executed drama, character establishment and emotional punch, hooked right away.

klaximopark  said about 10 months ago:

Smashed through it all in the last couple of months. It rules.

mrmagoo  said about 10 months ago:

texas forever!

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.