View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

winter recipes thread...

svelteslacks  said about 8 years ago  or at  4:08PM on Friday, June 23 2006 in chat

the pumpkin curry thread has inspired a winter recipes thread.

here is a red wine and thyme meat pie that is to die for...

500 g beef - cubed - i use rump

3/4 cup flour

1/2 tsp salt and pepper

butter

oil

onion

mushrooms

3/4 cup chicken stock

1 cup red wine

1 tsp tomato paste

1 tsp brown sugar

thyme

bayleaves

puff pastry

coat meat with flour and salt and pepper mix

heat butter and oil and brown meat in batches for 5 minutes

add more butter and oil for each batch to cook

place browned meat to the side on a plate

cook onion and mushrooms for 4-5 minutes

add meat back to pan

add chicken stock, red wine, tomato paste and brown sugar.

add thyme and bayleaves

cook 1 hour over low heat stirring regularly... it will thicken so yummy.

cool meat mixture on flat plate

assemble meat mixture into pastry.

cook 200 degrees for 15 minutes

then cook 150 degrees for 20 minutes.

freaksandgeeks  said about 8 years ago:

reminds me of my beef and red wine casserole :-D

BADALEX  said about 8 years ago:

Raw Meat.

Take one fresh steak.

Cut into bite sized pieces.

Eat.

Et voila.

thegirlwhocrieddave  said about 8 years ago:

ooh this is it ha? printing...

jetgirl_jp  said about 8 years ago:

I've been making sveltey's pie, but I like to do it with lamb, with lots of thyme and rosemary, and cook the meat for longer to make it nice and soft. Delish!

svelteslacks  said about 8 years ago:

oooh, jetgirl... that sounds devine.

you can get that meat pre-chopped at the butcher right? or do i need to touch it with my hands?

de.foxus  said about 8 years ago:

lamb and tomato stew

cubed lamb (i used a whole backstrap cos I had it in the freezer, but as it's a stew, absolutely anything will do, you're gonna cook this sucker for hours)
tin of diced tomatoes
olive oil
one onion finely diced
couple of garlic cloves crushed or sliced
some honey
pearl barley
olives (optional)
bay leaf
salt & pepper
ground cumin seeds
any other vegies you have laying around.

in a plastic bag, put some salt, pepper, flour and cumin, add the lamb and shake around til coated.

preheat oven to 'slow' (about as low as you can and still get heat)

in a stew pot (that will go in the oven and on the stove) over low heat, add the oil (you can use butter instead), the onion and the garlic. cook until browned, add a teeny bit of honey so that it caremelises, continue cooking til it just smells really good.

add the coated lamb and keep everything moving until all the bits are browned.

add the tomatoes, a couple of handfuls of pearl barley, and a tomato tin full of water, cover, and put in the oven. (this is where you'd add the optional other vegies).

keep cooking in slow oven for at least two hours, longer if possible. if it looks too runny, add a little bit of flour and stir through to thicken up.

about 15 minutes before serving, move back onto low heat on the stovetop, and stir continually. add salt, pepper and more cumin to taste. add olives 5 mins before serving.

can be served on rice, or with crusty bread.

eep!  said about 8 years ago:

Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic

(You will need a pot with a lid & an oven preheated 180 degrees C)

1 chicken (about 1.8 - 2kg)
4-5 heads of Garlic
few sprigs Rosemary
salt & pepper
2 tbs masala - not the sweet one (or any other alcohol really)
flour + water

Clean chicken, cover with however much salt & pepper you like, put it into the pot.
Separate & peel cloves of 2 heads of garlic put those in with the chicken.
Take the outer peel off the remaining heads of garlic, put those in as well.
Add the rosemary and pour in the masala.

Add potatoes & things if they fit.

Make a dough out of the flour & water, use this to seal the lid to the pot.
Bake for about an hour and a half.

Make sure you eat the Garlic.

wear some disposable ansell gloves tgwcd... i can't cut up chicken... it's so foul.

capo3rdfret  said about 8 years ago:

time for num-nums.

Oooh... hang on... missed a bit.

Fry the chicken all over until a bit brown for about 15 minutes before you put it into the pot!!!

de.foxus  said about 8 years ago:

(sorry it's not more precise, i threw it together when i felt like cooking)

Lauren  said about 8 years ago:

can i please marry all of you?

anonymous  said about 8 years ago:

pea and ham soup.

You need:
Ham Hocks
Split Peas
Bay Leaves
Onion
Carrot

can soak the peas overnight, but not important.

put everything in a pot with enough water and, cook for ages. take out the hock from the soup, strip all the meat from it and put back in the pot, cook some more.

anon would you like me to cook this red wine pie thing for you?

Ha! Poor Vegetarians.....

Inactivist  said about 8 years ago:

Snert! Anon! Snert!

Awesome.

Red Lentil Soup

A packet of Red Lentils.
Garlic - few cloves, crushed.
A Red Onion
Water
Salt & Pepper
Lemon Juice
Sumac

Fry the Onion & Garlic, add the lentils, cover with water + an inch or so above lentil level.
Cook over low heat for anywhere between half an hour to an hour - until thick.
Add salt & pepper to taste.

Serve with about half tablespoon of lemon juice per bowl, and sprinkled with Sumac.

It sounds like there's not many ingredients, but it's great.

fuck, you guys are rad.

can we throw some pastas in here as well?

anonymous  said about 8 years ago:

Feijoada Brasileira (Brazilian Black Bean Stew)
Serves 8

Ingredients

+225 g dried pork meat
+225 g salted pork meat
+450 g black beans
+220 g chunk of prosciutto or pancetta
+450 g Portuguese pork sausages*
+3 tablespoons sunflower oil
+3 large onions, chopped
+150 g streaky bacon, diced
+5 garlic cloves, chopped
+5 bay leaves
+225 g smoked pork ribs*
+5 tomatoes, chopped
+1 green capsicum, chopped
+1 red capsicum, chopped
+½ cup chopped fresh parsley
+3 tablespoons vegetable oil
+1 teaspoon black pepper
+1 tablespoon red or white vinegar

*Portuguese sausages and smoked pork ribs are available at Italian delicatessens.

Method

1. The evening before cooking, soak the dried meat and salted meat together, changing the water at least once.

2. Soak the beans overnight, too.

3. The next day, rinse the soaked meats and rinse and drain the beans.

4. Cut the dried and salted meats and the prosciutto into large chunks.

5. Cut a few slices from the sausage and then heat the oil and fry the slices to give flavour to the oil. Remove the slices and set aside to throw in at the end.

6. Add half each of the quantities of onion, bacon, garlic and the bay leaves, then add the beans. Fry for 1 minute, stirring.

7. Add enough cold water to cover the beans.

8. Cut up the remaining sausage into chunks about 3 cm long.

9. Add the sausage chunks and other meats, and then add more water to cover the meat and beans. Simmer for two hours, stirring from time to time.

10. It is important to watch the water level and check that the beans don't cause the mixture to become too thickened. If this happens, add a little more water.

11. When the beans are soft and the meats cooked, fry in a separate saucepan the remaining onions, bacon and garlic, plus the tomatoes, capsicums and parsley in some fresh oil. Add ground black pepper and simmer for 5 minutes or until soft.

12. Add the vinegar and 2 ladlefuls of the sauce from the cooked beans and stir through.

13. Transfer the vegetable and bacon mixture to the large saucepan and mix with the remaining beans and meats.

14. Cook for a further 15 minutes or until the beans and the mixture are cooked right through.

15. Serve with white rice, farofa (this link will open in a new window), Chinese broccoli (this link will open in a new window) and sliced oranges.

View Comments 20 to 351

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

swahili bob  said about 3 months ago:

our local garlic producers had an article with a great lookin recipe in the paper on the weekend

Roast garlic & Tomato Soup

woolfat  said about 3 months ago:

holy moly... that looks AMAZING

ocelotl  said about 3 months ago:

Whoa there, free thinker! I'm a bit anal about recipes so tend not to tweak them much, and haven't experimented with this one much at all. But - keep the proportions sensible and should work fine, I think. A whole bunch is probably too much.

This post brought to you by the word ''much''.

it seems kind of tuscan-ish to me so I think it might work okay. I'm asking because we have a 1/3 of a bunch in our fridge, haha

Lilo  said about 3 months ago:

Anyone got an amazing corned beef recipe?

juicenewton*  said about 3 months ago:

No Lilo but I had a crack at this easy Bill Granger dish from the age on monday and it was luscious! (ps used pork mince instead of veal).

PAPPARDELLE WITH VEAL MEATBALLS

The ricotta in the meatballs adds a softness and delicate flavour, while the lemony wine sauce tastes so much lighter than the classic tomato version.

1 tbsp olive oil

½ cup dry white wine

3 bay leaves

grated zest of 1 lemon, plus extra to serve

1½ cups chicken stock

400g pappardelle pasta

knob of butter

For the meatballs

500g veal mince

large handful fresh white breadcrumbs

2 garlic cloves, crushed

handful flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped

½ tsp dried chilli flakes, plus extra to serve

1 egg

2 tbsp freshly grated parmesan, plus extra to serve

3 tbsp ricotta

First, make the meatballs. Put the mince in a large bowl with the breadcrumbs, garlic, parsley, chilli and egg and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Use your hands to mix, squeezing the ingredients together until well combined. Stir the parmesan into the ricotta and work it into the meatball mixture, then shape into 12 small meatballs. Put on a plate and chill for 30 minutes.

Heat the oil in a frying pan large enough to fit all the meatballs. Fry, turning frequently, until golden brown. Pour in the wine and boil for 1 minute. Add the bay leaves, lemon zest and chicken stock. Simmer gently for a further 12-15 minutes, turning the meatballs occasionally, until cooked through. Season to taste.

Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente and drain well. Return to the pan with a knob of butter and toss through the meatballs. Serve with extra parmesan, chilli and lemon zest on the side. SERVES 4

poprocks96  said about 3 months ago:

Lilo  said about 3 months ago:

Yum jn*! Lilo Jr loves meatballs, will have to give them a try!

history  said about 3 months ago:

This bread recipe is so easy to make and delicious. It will save you stacks of money on bread buying as well.

recipe

video

ocelotl I made your soup! It was fantastic. Next time I might use ham hock broth though or panchetta - we used bacon and it wasn't as flavoursome as expected. Added silverbeet (sliced into strips so not too chunky) and it went down well! Good with a bit of pecorino on top. yum. Thank you! We will be making that again.

carwashhair  said about 3 months ago:

That cassoulet above is beginning to haunt my dreams. Buying confit duck seems so expensive though. Anyone got a source for it? Otherwise thinking of making my own.

ocelotl I made your soup!

Excellent! You could definitely jazz it up with a fancier kind of cured meat. I'm going to keep silverbeet in mind too, a bit more green in there sounds good.

voidster  said about 3 months ago:

Carwash....to make your own duck confit, salt the deck legs and leave for 24 hours covered. Melt some duck fat in an deep saucepan. Enough fat to completely cover the duck legs.

Rinse the legs well and immerse in the melted fat (ensuring they are fully submerged) and then into a 140deg oven for 2 hours. Remove and cool before refrigersting so the fat solidifies.

voila. Don,t bother with the bought stuff althouh some of the french stuff in a tin is ok.

sorry for poort typing. I, m pissed.

carwashhair  said about 2 months ago:

thanks voidy! I'm gonna get onto it this weekend hopefully

I'm on the other side of that Cassoulet recipe. Thanks for posting it, voidy - it is easily one of the best/most satisfying recipes to make. It's a hell of a process but god it pays off IN SPADES.

voidster  said about 2 months ago:

wow...i just logged on and voila..your post!

so glad you enjoyed it, carwash - it really is a cracker and as you say, WELL worth the effort.

Today is Bastille Day so I will be eating duck confit for dinner...with puy lentils and a balsamic vinegar reduction..preceded by snails in champagne garlic butter and followed by tarte tatin...Vive La France!

Forgot all about bastille day. I must've had my celebration last night - Cassoulet, Duck Rillettes, home-baked bread and La Rouzaire Camembert all washed down with a 2008 Cote du Rhone Cairanne. Superbe!

ocelotl  said about 2 months ago:

You guys are fancy!

sting-bono  said about 2 months ago:

Broccoli and Stilton Soup

1 onion, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 broccoli, chopped
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1L chicken stock
100g Stilton cheese

1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in olive oil until translucent. Stir in broccoli and potatoes and cook until vegetables begin to release their moisture. Pour in chicken stock, bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Stir in cheese until melted.

2. Puree soup in a blender or food processor or with an immersion blender.

The Stilton goes really nicely with Lagavulin 16 year ;)

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.