View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Osamam Bin Laden Dead

Modi  said about 7 years ago  or at  3:11AM on Sunday, September 24 2006 in chat

According to several news sources, nemesis of the free world, Osama Bin Laden, has died of a water borne disease. Initial news came form Saudi security forces.

Is the war on terror over? Not fucking likely, I think.

First news here

Modi  said about 7 years ago:

Damn extra "m"

Now I can't say DAFSFFS

definitely  said about 7 years ago:

Hopefully people will just for search for Bin Laden. So... natural causes is the hero hey?

anonymous  said about 7 years ago:

believe it when i see it.

definitely  said about 7 years ago:

Associated Press
Chirac: Bin Laden Intel Not Confirmed
By ELAINE GANLEY , 09.23.2006, 12:02 PM

President Jacques Chirac said Saturday that information contained in a leaked intelligence document raising the possibility that Osama bin Laden may have died of typhoid in Pakistan last month is "in no way whatsoever confirmed."

Chirac said he was "a bit surprised" at the leak and has asked Defense Minister Michele Alliot-Marie to probe how a document from a French foreign intelligence service was published in the French press.

The regional newspaper l'Est Republicain on Saturday printed what it described as a copy of a confidential document from the DGSE intelligence service citing an uncorroborated report from Saudi secret services that the leader of the al-Qaida terror network had died.

Officials from Afghanistan to Washington expressed doubts about the report.

Two American intelligence officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue said Saturday that U.S. agencies have no evidence to suggest a reason to believe that bin Laden is dead or dying.

The DGSE transmitted the document, dated Sept. 21 or Thursday, to Chirac and other top French officials, the newspaper said.

"This information is in no way whatsoever confirmed," Chirac said Saturday when asked about the document. "I have no comment."

A senior official in Afghanistan's Foreign Ministry said he was "very skeptical of the truthfulness" of the document, noting past false reports of the death of bin Laden. He declined to be identified because he was not authorized to discuss the issue publicly.

In Washington, Blair Jones, a presidential spokesman, said Saturday that the White House could not confirm the accuracy of the report that bin Laden may have died.

CIA duty officer Paul Gimigliano also said he could not confirm the DGSE report.

The Washington-based IntelCenter, which monitors terrorism communications, said it was not aware of any similar reports on the Internet.

"We've seen nothing from any al-Qaida messaging or other indicators that would point to the death of Osama bin Laden," IntelCenter director Ben N. Venzke told The Associated Press.

Al-Qaida would likely release information of his death fairly quickly if it were true, said Venzke, whose organization also provides counterterrorism intelligence services for the American government.

"They would want to release that to sort of control the way that it unfolds. If they wait too long, they could lose the initiative on it," he said.

The last time the IntelCenter says it could be sure bin Laden was alive was June 29, when al-Qaida released an audiotape in which the terror leader eulogized the death of al-Qaida in Iraq leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, who was killed in a U.S. air strike in Iraq earlier that month.

Chirac spoke at a news conference with Russian President Vladimir Putin and German Chancellor Angela Merkel in Compiegne, France, where the leaders were holding a summit.

Putin suggested that leaks can be ways to manipulate. "When there are leaks ... one can say that (they) were done especially."

Earlier the French defense ministry said it was opening an investigation into the leak.

"The information published this morning by the l'Est Republicain newspaper concerning the possible death of Osama bin Laden cannot be confirmed," a Defense Ministry statement said.

The DGSE, or Direction Generale des Services Exterieurs, indicated that its information came from a single source.

"According to a usually reliable source, Saudi security services are now convinced that Osama bin Laden is dead," said the intelligence report.

There have been periodic reports of bin Laden's illness or death in recent years but none has been proven accurate.

According to this report, Saudi security services were pursuing further details, notably the place of his burial.

"The chief of al-Qaida was a victim of a severe typhoid crisis while in Pakistan on August 23, 2006," the document says. His geographic isolation meant that medical assistance was impossible, the French report said, adding that his lower limbs were allegedly paralyzed.

The report further said Saudi security services had their first information on bin Laden's alleged death on Sept. 4.

In Pakistan, a senior official of that country's top spy agency, the ISI or Directorate of Inter-Service Intelligence, said he had no information to confirm bin Laden's whereabouts or that he might be dead. The official said he believed the report could be fabricated. The official was not authorized to speak publicly on the topic and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Pakistan's Foreign Ministry spokesman, Tasnim Aslam, called the information "speculative," saying that Pakistan like other countries was "clueless about him."

Gen. Henri Bentegeat, the French army chief of staff, said in a radio debate last Sunday that bin Laden's fate remained a mystery.

"Today, bin Laden is certainly not in Afghanistan," Bentegeat said. "No one is completely certain that he is even alive."

shhh  said about 7 years ago:

wow modi, first with the rumour! it's not even up on the age yet - they must all be out partying

the power of 666  said about 7 years ago:

1 for the powernerd!

nerdalert  said about 7 years ago:

hmm....not sure about this--will wait for a stronger report.

angelic_layer  said about 7 years ago:

Chirac said he was "a bit surprised" at the leak ...

ahhh..the French..what a way with words...

hiponion  said about 7 years ago:

He probably is dead, but there's absolutely no way to be certain. It's not really in Al-Qaeda's best interests to tell us if he was, is it? Or to show us his dead body?

He's apparently had typhoid for a good few years and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's killed him. The timing seems right as far as how ill he has been with it over the years.

RoastOxCrisps  said about 7 years ago:

seeing as al-qaeda network isn't as heirarchical as western power structures, whether or not the sheik is alive makes little difference to their operations.

Bullet  said about 7 years ago:

"a bit surprised" .... i rekon really pissed off is more like it...

angelic_layer  said about 7 years ago:

hehe...I love the French.

Dammit. I should have said "injured", then he woulda died.

I am always first with the idle gozzip, 6er, my operatives are everywhere.

Don't think I don't know what YOU got up to last night...

Lordevilegg  said about 7 years ago:

Hasn't he been dead for years anyway. I doubt whether he is alive or dead has any impact on US policy in the middle east. They'd spew if the guy handed himself in. No more bogey man to scare dumb ass yanks with

Will he get a state funeral?

reidthemighty  said about 7 years ago:

hahaha, probably, the hollywood will make a movie about it now i bet..

Pure Evil Has Only One Name : "Bin Laden"

A Stephen Spielberg Oliver Stone Co-Production:

One man, one mission, to destroy freedom!

He thought he could hide form our Green Berets, He was wrong~1

I tend to think he's a bit of a Goldstein anyway, Evil, but it was interesting that someone texted me about it when they heard on the BBC world service news early this morning.

The yanks will be spewing if he is dead, does that mean the 100 year war on terror is over?

At least they still have Iran.

The great thing about terrorism being the enemy, is that it is a hydra.

Any militant action can be classed as terror, especially when the fighters are dead.

Armed dead people are terrorists. It's undisputable.

View Comments 20 to 280

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

ocelotl  said about 2 years ago:

I'd say it's even they were deliberately leaked.

And this is why I've stopped following this story. You don't have to be wearing a tinfoil hat to realise that we have absolutely no chance of knowing the full truth, and every bit of info is just more obfuscation.

Sunnyboyz  said about 2 years ago:

I don't know why people are so surprised by the torrents of misinformation coming out of this.

Misinformation/dishonesty is what governments do best... and theyve been doing it forever.

Jack Stands  said about 2 years ago:

Just popping in to say that, yes, there are total discrepancies in what has been reported by all news chanels here in the US. Absurdly so, but our whole ''news system'' is absurd and has been for years.
Prior to the news was announced, the major cable outlets were the first to say Obama was going to make a special announcement regarding ''National Security''. They were all trying very hard for the first 30 minutes, or so, to show themselves in a light where their journalistic intergrity ''would not allow them to speculate'' on what the announcement would be.
So, I'm skipping around channels. The major networks hadn't interrupted any of their Sunday ''prime time'' dreck yet. At those moments, I believe, are when the administration began making calls to the various House and Senate members to anounce the news.
And like magic, I skipped over to FOX news, and a gloriously mustachioed fuckwit named Geraldo Rivera started spouting he had just recieved confirmation from a ''Capitol Hill'' source that Osama was dead, and started high-fiving anyone within reach. From then on, the major networks broke in, and the cable stations started spilling the beans.
FROM THAT MOMENT, every whisper from an ''informed source'' bacame golden shreds of truth and they were fed, and anylized, and speculated upon, even prior to Obama making his statement.

To the end of ''pictures'' and ''proof'', I'm totally o.k. with not releasing them. Conspiracies be damned, you can't make a real martyr out of someone you can't ''prove'' is dead. Do I think he's dead? Yep. Do I need to see the pictures now? No. They will eventually be leaked or obtained through the Freedom of Information Act. Look at the pictures available for JFK, where his head has a bunch of hamburger meat hanging out of it. That wasn't shown by the press, nor shown to the ''ordinary Joe'' for a while. But it's available now.

As for the ''USA, USA, USA'' whathaveyou, shit happens. You can think we're all a bunch of lemmings for sure. These same people believe you all drink Fosters and can kill crocodiles with boomerangs. I especially love Olivia Newton John, and make no appologies for it.

Lastly, regarding the ''celebration'' of Osama's death, I take refuge in the words of Mark Twain:

“I’ve never wished a man dead. But, I have read some obituaries with great pleasure.”

Jack Stands  said about 2 years ago:

P.S., sorry for the rant, but I actually do read this board, mainly for Aussie music stuff. Just throwing my two cents out there as one American's perspective. I will leave you all back to it.

rigid  said about 2 years ago:

Sensible words from a man of science.

Mo  said about 2 years ago:

noneabove said 3 days ago:

if he was buried ''According to islamic law'' ... it seems a bit odd that on a US naval ship they would have the cloth for his burial, an arab speaker AND someone who understands and knows the intricacies of preparing a body according to the muslim way of burial... unless they had planned to do this all along

The US armed forces chaplains are trained to perform almost any type of burial or religious ceremony. You can download the chaplain manuals and read them if you search around. It's all quite utilitarian. They even cater to Satanists (no, I'm not joking). Every US Naval vessel would have the necessary accoutrements for burial for the Abrahamic faiths simply because any reasonably sized vessel would have Muslims on board.

but there is more to it than that:

''''Islamic law traditionally allows disposing of a corpse at sea only if the person dies on board ship and there is no possibility of getting the body to dry land before it decomposes,'' Marion Katz, professor of Islamic law, gender and ritual at New York University, told Al Jazeera.

''[This], however, [is] obviously not applicable here, both because he was taken to sea after death and because modern technology allows a corpse to be refrigerated for however long it takes,'' Katz said.''

also one thing that occurred to me over the weekend, the bit about ''Bin Laden's Grave Becomming a Shrine to terror'' well Wahabi's - bin ladens extremist sect which most al qaeda members belong to don't believe in ''shrines'' and ''holy sites'', in fact when Wahabisim took over in Saudi the Wahabis destroyed many of the grave sites and markings of their prophet Muhammed's family, so they wouldn't become ''shrines'' and hate the idea of ''Sainthood''. So it's either bollocks or this ''enemy'' we've been fighting for just under 10 years, yeh we didn't bother finding out anything about him or his crew...it's like going after capone and not knowing about frank nitti

Jack Stands - the discrepancies from media outlets i can handle, ''discrepancies'' from the government which amount to ''yeh, what we said yesterday, yeah, we were lying'' are what concern me

spaceman1  said about 2 years ago:

Bin Laden boys break their silence

''We maintain that arbitrary killing is not a solution to political problems,'' it said. In a separate statement posted on aditios sites, the sons also slammed the ''criminal mission'' ordered by US President Barack Obama which ''obliterated an entire defenseless family.''

All worthy and sensible points...if your father hadn't ordered and carried out the arbitrary killings on thousands of innocent people himself.

How can anybody try to defend this man with those kinds of arguments? They don't really hold any weight.

Oh yeah, and a 'defenseless family'...one that happens to be holed up in a heavily guarded and armed compound, possibly with protection from the pakistani government.

tenzenmen  said about 2 years ago:

from fpif.org

After Osama: China?

If the killing of Osama bin Laden were a Hollywood murder mystery, the shootout scene in Abbottabad would be followed by the unveiling of the sponsor who arranged for the al-Qaeda safe house. Is it the Pakistani intelligence officer who appears early in the movie to assure his U.S. counterparts that he is fully committed to bringing bin Laden to justice? Is it the Saudi construction magnate who owes several major favors to the bin Laden family? Or perhaps it's the U.S. embassy official who, it might turn out, believes that Osama is more useful alive than dead—until finally, he is useful no longer.

Who could possibly benefit from the care and feeding of the al-Qaeda legend? Audiences know to look for the suspect who benefits the most. The more intricate the conspiracy the better.

As the Navy SEALs dispose of bin Laden's body at sea, we follow the simultaneous action in Islamabad where bin Laden's secret sponsor is sitting in an office, back turned to the camera, passing over a final payment to the safe house owner. The music builds. It's hard to pinpoint the sponsor's accent. And then the camera pulls back and we realize that the action is taking place in an embassy. The flag on the wall, the sentries posted out front, and finally the placard with the embassy's name: The People's Republic of China.
Of course, bin Laden's death was not a Hollywood movie, however much the Obama administration presented it as such (the brave soldiers, the cowardly villain, the suspenseful hunt). And China has no love for al-Qaeda, particularly given its own battles against alleged terrorists in Xinjiang and elsewhere.

But perhaps the only country in the world that has benefited from the last decade of war against al-Qaeda is China, and it has benefitted big time. Beijing has watched the United States spend more than $3 trillion on the war on terrorism, devote its military resources to the Middle East, and neglect pretty much every other part of the globe (except where al-Qaeda and its friends hang out). The United States is now mired in debt, stuck in a recession, and paralyzed by partisan politics.

Over that same period, meanwhile, China has quickly become the second largest economy in the world. In 2001, Goldman Sachs predicted that the Chinese economy would rival that of Germany by 2011. Boy, was that a lowball estimate. Last month, the International Monetary Fund looked again into the crystal ball and announced that the Chinese economy would become the world's largest in 2016.

China's overtaking of the United States ''will effectively end the 'Age of America' a decade before most analysts had expected,'' writes David Gardner in the British Daily Mail. ''It means that whoever wins the 2012 presidential election will have the dubious honor of presiding over the fall of the United States.''

Memo from Beijing: Mission Accomplished!

Naturally, since this is no movie, it's not so cut and dried. As demonstrated by its huge investments into this country—including $45 billion worth of deals back in January—China doesn't want a bankrupt United States. Indeed, U.S. budget deficits and low interest rates have fueled global inflation, driving up food prices and creating precisely the kind of instability that makes China uncomfortable. Beijing needs American consumers, the relative security of American bonds, and the occasional stability provided by American troops. But remember: all of that can be provided by the world's second leading economy and number one military spender.

The Obama administration is well aware of these trends. Indeed, as National Security Advisor Tom Donilon recently told Ryan Lizza of The New Yorker, the United States should be refocusing on Asia. ''One of Donilon’s overriding beliefs, which Obama adopted as his own, was that America needed to rebuild its reputation, extricate itself from the Middle East and Afghanistan, and turn its attention toward Asia and China’s unchecked influence in the region. America was 'overweighted' in the former and 'underweighted' in the latter.'' Asia hands like Kurt Campbell, before he became the current assistant secretary of state for East Asian and Pacific Affairs, routinely castigated the George W. Bush administration for ignoring East Asia. But the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, the hunt for bin Laden, the continuing drone strikes in Pakistan and Yemen, and now the Arab Spring have all kept the focus away from China’s rapid rise.

tenzenmen  said about 2 years ago:

(cont)

Those in the Obama administration looking for a global reset of U.S. foreign policy are forced to adopt a posture of ''strategic patience.'' This, of course, is also the official U.S. policy toward North Korea. Basically, Washington is waiting for North Korea to bend to economic and military pressure, though there is not much precedent for such a North Korean response. ''Strategic patience'' is really just a fancy way of describing a policy of neglect. The United States is largely ignoring North Korea and, relatively speaking, the rest of Asia as well while we engage in some more battles, kill a few more terrorists (and civilian bystanders), enforce a no-fly zone, and otherwise behave like a moth attracted to the Middle East flame.

The Obama administration's desire to shift focus to East Asia—and its current inability to do so—explains a lot. The administration soured relations with Japan and caused the downfall of one Japanese prime minister (so far) because of a refusal to cancel a military base relocation plan on Okinawa opposed by the vast majority of the island's residents. The administration has made little headway on North Korea's nuclear program, allowing a conservative South Korean administration to bring the region close to the brink of war (with North Korea cooperating with brinksmanship of its own).

It's not as if the United States is an indispensible power in Asia. Indonesia has taken the lead in trying to mediate the border dispute between Thailand and Cambodia. The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) continues to slog away at untangling the dispute over islands in the South China Sea. Japan and Russia are perfectly capable of clearing up their own conflict over the Kurile Islands.

And the notion that the United States has to balance China in the region in some old-fashioned Cold War sense is certainly not necessary. China is not about to gobble up the region, beginning with Taiwan as an expensive appetizer. Beijing has watched Washington suffer considerable indigestion when it bit off more than it could chew (and the rest of the world could stomach). Competitive eating is not unknown in the world of geopolitics—see Age of Colonialism—but China has so far shown a measure of restraint.
If the United States intends to refocus on East Asia only to screw it up royally in the same way we've made a mess of the Middle East, it would be in everyone's interest if we fail to reorient our policy. But the United States still could play a constructive role as a Pacific power. At the current bilateral summit here in Washington, the two countries are trading charges over human rights and the value of each other's currency. These are critical issues. But Washington and Beijing, as the two leading military spenders in the world, should also discuss how to restrain the global arms race. Agreeing to a mutual code of conduct on arms trade and development issues would be valuable as well. And the Obama administration could help kick-start the Six-Party Talks, with China's help, so that we don't have to deal with the anomaly of North Korea, the world's only starving nuclear power.
The Osama bin Laden Era is over, and with it will end the Age of America. Here's one sign of the transformation: a child in Shanghai, writes Nicholas Kristof in a sobering op-ed, will now statistically outlive a child in the United States. China remains corrupt, intermittently oppressive, and subject to the same economic disparities and financial bubbles as the United States. But while we were fighting the chimera of a caliphate, China was going about its business and eating our lunch.

Osama Continued

Last week, I quoted from my 2002 analysis of Osama bin Laden's secret strategy—to bankrupt the United States. Foreign Policy In Focus (FPIF) columnist Walden Bello, in Osama's No Martyr, But the Man Prevailed, also dug up an essay he wrote in October 2001 that outlined the no-win situation that the Bush administration set up for itself.

If the United States ''kills bin Laden, he becomes a martyr, a source of never-ending inspiration, especially to young Muslims,'' Bello wrote. ''If it captures him alive, freeing him will become a massive focus of resistance that will prevent the imposition of capital punishment without triggering massive revolts throughout the Islamic world. If it fails to kill or capture him, he will secure an aura of invincibility, as somebody favored by God, and whose cause is therefore just…''

Perhaps now that Osama is gone, a very different kind of leader can emerge in the Arab world. ''The Arab world has had its caliphs, sultans, and sheikhs, but it has not had a Voltaire,'' FPIF contributor Islam Qasem writes in Where Is the Arab Voltaire? ''Never has the Arab world more urgently needed an Arab Voltaire who can break the false dichotomy between tradition and progress. This Arab Voltaire is not against public piety but speaks out for the separation between religion and state. His mission is to bring Arab society to the forefront of the 21st century without marginalizing its cultural values or its Islamic tradition and yet standing steadfastly against fanaticism, backwardness, and intolerance.''

In our coverage of the killing of Osama bin Laden, FPIF has a wide variety of offerings: David Vine on the reaction of students at American University, Russ Wellen on the language of decapitation, Conn Hallinan on the implications for peace in Afghanistan, Laurence Hull on the generational response to the killing, Ian Williams on the impact on the U.S.-Israel relationship, and Stephen Zunes on the enduring grievances of bin Laden. And if you prefer to get your news from YouTube, here's a short interview with me about bin Laden, Pakistan, and U.S. foreign policy.

. . .

Foreign Policy In Focus is a network for research, analysis and action that brings together more than 700 scholars, advocates and activists who strive to make the United States a more responsible global partner. It is a project of the Institute for Policy Studies (IPS) in Washington. www.fpif.org

pfinger18  said about 2 years ago:

Mo  said about 2 years ago:

wow, she's a moron...

she could get a job at fox news with the way she handled that, almost exactly how they handle it - ask questions and then when they're answering - ask more questions...

chimpassgimp666  said about 2 years ago:

couldn't view that

Simon_Sez  said about 2 years ago:

The comments on that article are scary.

If he was indeed executed, full blame goes to the Left who would have made a debacle out of trying put him trial.

Err, what??? Wanna try that again?

And this one just breaks my brain, for soooo many reasons:

I agree with Elisabeth and Joy.... I'm a fan of Michael Moore and as a pacifist I believe in his point of view; yet I celebrated the death of OBL for all of the obvious - end of fear, mind control & love of humanity and justice - reasons. Also, Hitler was not put on trial...

chimpassgimp666  said about 2 years ago:

ta pf18

The doco on ABC last night was awesome. The bit about the kids hitting their cricket balls into the compound made me laugh. Iview link: http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/852985

yoghurt  said about 1 year ago:

Turns out Drazic shot him.

tigers  said about 1 year ago:

Great post.
Were you drunk? Wanna talk about it?

yoghurt  said about 1 year ago:

I may have had a few scotches but I tells you Drazic did it. And he was not sure how he felt about it afterwards.

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.