View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Osamam Bin Laden Dead

Modi  said about 8 years ago  or at  3:11AM on Sunday, September 24 2006 in chat

According to several news sources, nemesis of the free world, Osama Bin Laden, has died of a water borne disease. Initial news came form Saudi security forces.

Is the war on terror over? Not fucking likely, I think.

First news here

Modi  said about 8 years ago:

Damn extra "m"

Now I can't say DAFSFFS

definitely  said about 8 years ago:

Hopefully people will just for search for Bin Laden. So... natural causes is the hero hey?

anonymous  said about 8 years ago:

believe it when i see it.

definitely  said about 8 years ago:

Associated Press
Chirac: Bin Laden Intel Not Confirmed
By ELAINE GANLEY , 09.23.2006, 12:02 PM

President Jacques Chirac said Saturday that information contained in a leaked intelligence document raising the possibility that Osama bin Laden may have died of typhoid in Pakistan last month is "in no way whatsoever confirmed."

Chirac said he was "a bit surprised" at the leak and has asked Defense Minister Michele Alliot-Marie to probe how a document from a French foreign intelligence service was published in the French press.

The regional newspaper l'Est Republicain on Saturday printed what it described as a copy of a confidential document from the DGSE intelligence service citing an uncorroborated report from Saudi secret services that the leader of the al-Qaida terror network had died.

Officials from Afghanistan to Washington expressed doubts about the report.

Two American intelligence officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue said Saturday that U.S. agencies have no evidence to suggest a reason to believe that bin Laden is dead or dying.

The DGSE transmitted the document, dated Sept. 21 or Thursday, to Chirac and other top French officials, the newspaper said.

"This information is in no way whatsoever confirmed," Chirac said Saturday when asked about the document. "I have no comment."

A senior official in Afghanistan's Foreign Ministry said he was "very skeptical of the truthfulness" of the document, noting past false reports of the death of bin Laden. He declined to be identified because he was not authorized to discuss the issue publicly.

In Washington, Blair Jones, a presidential spokesman, said Saturday that the White House could not confirm the accuracy of the report that bin Laden may have died.

CIA duty officer Paul Gimigliano also said he could not confirm the DGSE report.

The Washington-based IntelCenter, which monitors terrorism communications, said it was not aware of any similar reports on the Internet.

"We've seen nothing from any al-Qaida messaging or other indicators that would point to the death of Osama bin Laden," IntelCenter director Ben N. Venzke told The Associated Press.

Al-Qaida would likely release information of his death fairly quickly if it were true, said Venzke, whose organization also provides counterterrorism intelligence services for the American government.

"They would want to release that to sort of control the way that it unfolds. If they wait too long, they could lose the initiative on it," he said.

The last time the IntelCenter says it could be sure bin Laden was alive was June 29, when al-Qaida released an audiotape in which the terror leader eulogized the death of al-Qaida in Iraq leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, who was killed in a U.S. air strike in Iraq earlier that month.

Chirac spoke at a news conference with Russian President Vladimir Putin and German Chancellor Angela Merkel in Compiegne, France, where the leaders were holding a summit.

Putin suggested that leaks can be ways to manipulate. "When there are leaks ... one can say that (they) were done especially."

Earlier the French defense ministry said it was opening an investigation into the leak.

"The information published this morning by the l'Est Republicain newspaper concerning the possible death of Osama bin Laden cannot be confirmed," a Defense Ministry statement said.

The DGSE, or Direction Generale des Services Exterieurs, indicated that its information came from a single source.

"According to a usually reliable source, Saudi security services are now convinced that Osama bin Laden is dead," said the intelligence report.

There have been periodic reports of bin Laden's illness or death in recent years but none has been proven accurate.

According to this report, Saudi security services were pursuing further details, notably the place of his burial.

"The chief of al-Qaida was a victim of a severe typhoid crisis while in Pakistan on August 23, 2006," the document says. His geographic isolation meant that medical assistance was impossible, the French report said, adding that his lower limbs were allegedly paralyzed.

The report further said Saudi security services had their first information on bin Laden's alleged death on Sept. 4.

In Pakistan, a senior official of that country's top spy agency, the ISI or Directorate of Inter-Service Intelligence, said he had no information to confirm bin Laden's whereabouts or that he might be dead. The official said he believed the report could be fabricated. The official was not authorized to speak publicly on the topic and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Pakistan's Foreign Ministry spokesman, Tasnim Aslam, called the information "speculative," saying that Pakistan like other countries was "clueless about him."

Gen. Henri Bentegeat, the French army chief of staff, said in a radio debate last Sunday that bin Laden's fate remained a mystery.

"Today, bin Laden is certainly not in Afghanistan," Bentegeat said. "No one is completely certain that he is even alive."

shhh  said about 8 years ago:

wow modi, first with the rumour! it's not even up on the age yet - they must all be out partying

the power of 666  said about 8 years ago:

1 for the powernerd!

nerdalert  said about 8 years ago:

hmm....not sure about this--will wait for a stronger report.

angelic_layer  said about 8 years ago:

Chirac said he was "a bit surprised" at the leak ...

ahhh..the French..what a way with words...

hiponion  said about 8 years ago:

He probably is dead, but there's absolutely no way to be certain. It's not really in Al-Qaeda's best interests to tell us if he was, is it? Or to show us his dead body?

He's apparently had typhoid for a good few years and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's killed him. The timing seems right as far as how ill he has been with it over the years.

RoastOxCrisps  said about 8 years ago:

seeing as al-qaeda network isn't as heirarchical as western power structures, whether or not the sheik is alive makes little difference to their operations.

Bullet  said about 8 years ago:

"a bit surprised" .... i rekon really pissed off is more like it...

angelic_layer  said about 8 years ago:

hehe...I love the French.

Dammit. I should have said "injured", then he woulda died.

I am always first with the idle gozzip, 6er, my operatives are everywhere.

Don't think I don't know what YOU got up to last night...

Lordevilegg  said about 8 years ago:

Hasn't he been dead for years anyway. I doubt whether he is alive or dead has any impact on US policy in the middle east. They'd spew if the guy handed himself in. No more bogey man to scare dumb ass yanks with

Will he get a state funeral?

reidthemighty  said about 8 years ago:

hahaha, probably, the hollywood will make a movie about it now i bet..

Pure Evil Has Only One Name : "Bin Laden"

A Stephen Spielberg Oliver Stone Co-Production:

One man, one mission, to destroy freedom!

He thought he could hide form our Green Berets, He was wrong~1

I tend to think he's a bit of a Goldstein anyway, Evil, but it was interesting that someone texted me about it when they heard on the BBC world service news early this morning.

The yanks will be spewing if he is dead, does that mean the 100 year war on terror is over?

At least they still have Iran.

The great thing about terrorism being the enemy, is that it is a hydra.

Any militant action can be classed as terror, especially when the fighters are dead.

Armed dead people are terrorists. It's undisputable.

View Comments 20 to 294

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

Simon_Sez  said about 3 years ago:

The comments on that article are scary.

If he was indeed executed, full blame goes to the Left who would have made a debacle out of trying put him trial.

Err, what??? Wanna try that again?

And this one just breaks my brain, for soooo many reasons:

I agree with Elisabeth and Joy.... I'm a fan of Michael Moore and as a pacifist I believe in his point of view; yet I celebrated the death of OBL for all of the obvious - end of fear, mind control & love of humanity and justice - reasons. Also, Hitler was not put on trial...

chimpassgimp666  said about 3 years ago:

ta pf18

pfinger18  said about 3 years ago:

The doco on ABC last night was awesome. The bit about the kids hitting their cricket balls into the compound made me laugh. Iview link: http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/852985

yoghurt  said about 2 years ago:

Turns out Drazic shot him.

tigers  said about 2 years ago:

Great post.
Were you drunk? Wanna talk about it?

yoghurt  said about 2 years ago:

I may have had a few scotches but I tells you Drazic did it. And he was not sure how he felt about it afterwards.

Mo  said about 1 month ago:

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v37/n10/seymour-m-hersh/the-killing-of-osama-bin-laden

Seymour Hersh, the man who broke Abu Graib, the My Lai massacre, the myth of Iranian nuclear weaponry and a bunch of water gate scandals has written a very different account of the events that led to the killing of Bin Laden, going to have a read tonight.

Sunnyboyz  said about 1 month ago:

most reports suggest that he has little or no supporting evidence for his theory though, which doesn't help his cause.

I have read those suggestions too, I am not seeing anything concrete in those suggestions and rebuttals that really sink what he's saying or the claims he makes, a lot say ''yeh, but they're not true'' or ''it was so ridiculous so i stopped reading'', not to mention the vested interests of someone like Peter Bergen (who has his book to sell)

I read this just before, i couldn't wait till i got home

I am not endorsing what Sy is saying in the article, I have no idea what happened but I have read the official version of events, I think an alternative one is interesting and for a couple of reasons

1. the narrative when viewed against Pakistan politics and the inner workings of the ISI seems plausible (also Sy and Fisky too for that matter were saying since 01 how utterly corrupt the ISI are and are playing both sides, something the State Dept didn't say till the Bin Laden assasination)

2. The fact that it's Seymour Hersh writing this, he's pretty darn careful with claims he makes and often offers mea culpas when he's wrong and explains why and he has broken some very serious (and at the time 'hotly disputed') stories such as My Lai, Abu Ghraib, Watergate etc. He has a lot of contacts in high places etc

so yeah... it's not definitive or authoritative... but it is definitely interesting and worth a look

sting-bono  said about 1 month ago:

''The major US source for the account that follows is a retired senior intelligence official who was knowledgeable about the initial intelligence about bin Laden’s presence in Abbottabad. He also was privy to many aspects of the Seals’ training for the raid, and to the various after-action reports. Two other US sources, who had access to corroborating information, have been longtime consultants to the Special Operations Command. I also received information from inside Pakistan about widespread dismay among the senior ISI and military leadership – echoed later by Durrani – over Obama’s decision to go public immediately with news of bin Laden’s death. The White House did not respond to requests for comment.''

I didn't read past ''retired senior intelligence official''. When someone fitting that description is wheeled out as the major source of a story, the story is usually that the moon landing didn't happen or we're in direct contact with ufos or Nixon was actually a shape shifting lizard. Fact or fiction such a main source sets off alarm bells, 'initial' does too.

Why the fuck Bin Laden him a religious burial? They should have torched him and pissed on his ashes. Oh hang on, someone's wheeling out a retired senior intelligence official to say 9/11 was an inside job.

outerspacextrapnel  said about 1 month ago:

Why the fuck Bin Laden him a religious burial? They should have torched him and pissed on his ashes.

That would have done wonders for US Islamic relations.

spaceman1  said about 1 month ago:

tinyman said about 4 years ago:

A man has died. Can we show some respect? Peace be upon him.

How did I miss this beauty?

sting-bono  said about 1 month ago:

Lol

no I didn't!

thanks for that Silvertone :-)

NiteShok  said about 1 month ago:

Thanks great silvertone, thanks for sharing. I don't know much about Hersh or his work, so that was very helpful.

NiteShok  said about 1 month ago:

That's great, I meant! Whoops.

I read his Osama piece with interest and have kept an eye on how it has been received in the last few days. Fascinating stuff.

silvertone  said about 1 month ago:

There's also two hyper-critical pieces on Vox and Slate which are interesting reads, but I'm not particularly inclined to repost them (as I don't agree with them!)...

interesting

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/12/magazine/the-detail-in-seymour-hershs-bin-laden-story-that-rings-true.html?_r=0

also i have read some hypercritical pieces that are asking questions directly addressed in Hersh's essay, it was like they were itching to critique, skimmed it and didn't get further

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.