View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Melbourne Pub Trivia Nights

el goodo  said about 7 years ago  or at  11:52PM on Saturday, September 9 2006 in chat

What are some good pub trivia nights in Melbourne?

None of that "Quizmeisters" stuff... what pubs still have decent, original trivia?

michael_horse  said about 7 years ago:

original ?

el goodo  said about 7 years ago:

Well, half the pubs use 'Fame' or 'Quizmeisters' trivia, who just farm out presenters to various pubs with the same questions and formats.

Perhaps 'unique' would have been a better word.

I was wondering what pubs still did their own trivia, ad which are worth going to. I need something to occupy my time nest week.

well i've never heard of these trivias, so i'm not sure

empress, east brunswick and corner all have trivia nights which are good, all hosted by the same crew though, so perhaps that doesn't count as original

Yeha, I dig what those guys do. I like the GB one too. Am looking to try something new, but the internet is useless in searching for this kind of thing...

meh .. i'd rather just go to my local, and concentrate on having as much fun as i can there, rather than travel to somewhere inconvenient

Punch  said about 7 years ago:

i always liked the standard's trivia night. think it's on tuesdays, and pretty tricky.

Cool. Anyone else?

unvisible  said about 7 years ago:

My team came second at trivia at the East Brunswick club last week. Won a bottle of wine. I'm pretty sure that 90% of their questions are just taken from recent issues of New Weekly.

did you take pity on me last week, unvisible ?

poor TDC - Solo Stylee

metalchicks  said about 7 years ago:

I went to a couple of trivia nights at a pub in yarraville. Not a bad night. We were the only people who rocked up. The 8 of us divided into 3 teams and won a bottle of wine, a jug of beer and $100 of drink cards. They supplied pizza and I won the 'jackpot' prize... a 51cm telly, without the box but it came with bonus dried coke spilled down the top. Now, usually walking out of a pub with a boxless telly under your arm would arouse interest from the cops.

HEB  said about 7 years ago:

Any decent Melb Triv nights at the mo?

east brunswick tonight

Ubu  said about 7 years ago:

Are there any music only trivias in Melb?

rosiefantail  said about 7 years ago:

Empress on Sunday.

rosiefantail  said about 7 years ago:

Also, I've known michael_horse's devious trivia tactics since back at the Ghetto of Hate Hotel on Mondays, where the winning team got to have their photo taken with a picture of dogs playing pool.

what happened to that photo collage ? we were up there quite a bit, dammit

sharptooth  said about 7 years ago:

is the GB one still going? that was always fun with Mrs Smifff
if I recall correctly she used to also have a bingo night on Wednesdays at the Terminus in Richmond?

davethescot  said about 7 years ago:

i whole heartedly recommend the empress on sundays, the east on tuesdays and the corner on wednesdays. All are excellent nights run by some of the sweetest people you could ever hope to meet. Honest. swears

littlearch  said about 7 years ago:

i'd love to go to the empress on a sunday night, be like old times but with trivia. hmm, no but there

thing is, i'm working the next bloody day now

davethescot  said about 7 years ago:

This sunday is the last one for the year!!!

View Comments 20 to 268

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

Kez  said about 1 year ago:

New trivia night ''Fact Hunt'' starting at the Public Bar (North Melbourne), Tuesdays 7.30 from the 4th June.
I used to be pretty good with ye olde trivia (Gteyhound, Espy, Cherry Bar ''Ultimate Rock Snob'' & Town Hall Hotel all good, but I've disgraced myself a few times too).
so I'm. (figuritively) offering myself to the highest bidder. I flatter myself that I may in read your team's chances of walking away with the trophy. ( And I don't drink beer so if jugs are prizes then it's more for you).
PM me your offers, or look for mw there with a purple carnation or something.

(increase your team's chances...)

funtimes  said about 1 year ago:

looks good Kez, might have to check it out.
We have been getting around a few trivia nights. The Vic is good fun, sometimes it can get a bit intellectual. The B:east was OK, Standard Jess McGuire pop culture. The Spotted Mallard was OK, Laura Umbruglia was a good host, plus I love the space. She has moved on now though.
Might try the Edinburgh castle next week.

yoghurt  said about 1 year ago:

Bridge hotel Castlemaine has the best trivia.

funtimes  said about 1 year ago:

Hey take it to the ''regional Victoria pub trivia nights'' thread

'Cmon Team Kez & Soula!

anok  said about 1 year ago:

Mind Out have switched to every Wednesday at the Rev. Still the funniest, most idiosyncratic trivia in Melbourne, now with added professionalism.

Hey, Funtimes- if you come along tomorrow find me & Soula and say hello. I'll be the one crying in the corner because I couldn't remember some detail about something I really should've known, oh the shame the shame!
Teams of 6, apparently. And no cribbing!

The one that really got me:

Hunter S Thompson story, film starring Bill Murray.

The worst thing was KNOWING I'd seen it at the cinema, one of those arthouse double-feature things. I could recall details about the foyer, decor and placement of posters, the colour of the paint on the columns, walking down the corridor... stupid details like that, but not the name of the film. (Where The Buffalo Roam, by the way.)

poprocks96  said about 1 year ago:

Kez = Rainman.

Nah, Rainman woulda known that Station To Station was re order in LA and Lodger in Berlin not London, as I tried to convince the team. Bowiephiles Ratz & Moke must be turning in their grave.

Kez  said about 10 months ago:

Fact Hunt is off tonight. In other news, I'm thinking of checking out the Spotted Mallard trivia tonight (314 Sydney Rd, Brunswick) 7.30 with Laura Imbruglia hosting. My 'team', such as it is, is busy, so I'm a gun for hire or lone wolf McQuade. Apparently one can win food, and I get hungry so it's a good lure. Anyone fancy joining me?

http://www.spottedmallard.com/events/let-s-get-trivical/

Kez  said about 6 months ago:

I'll have late classes on Tuesday nights as of next week, so am sussing out Wednesday options.
Anok, are the Wednesdays at the Reverence still going? Any other options not too far from town?

anok  said about 6 months ago:

Hey Kez, MIND OUT are still doing Wednesday at the Rev and they're about to start doing Sunday nights at the Workers. Apparently starting early March. I'll post here with details when comfirmed.

anok  said about 6 months ago:

its onnnnn - 6pm this sunday.

TheBigShip  said about 6 months ago:

Responding to Kez's post from 3 months ago, Laura Imbruglia's quiz on Tuesdays at the Spotted Mallard is awesome. she has great music taste, i love any quiz that will ask a question about Morrissey, followed by a question about Black Metal. My kind of girl!
although it's not on for the next 2 weeks because of the Brunswick Festival

singa  said about 6 months ago:

fact hunt

Kez  said about 5 months ago:

Any recent experiences of the Cornish Arms trivia on Thursdays? Is it general knowledge, 'pop culture', or music trivia (with therefore a chance for me)?

Kez  said about 5 months ago:

Hmmmmm????

Kez  said about 2 months ago:

At the Spotted Mallard, with one friend. Who would like to join us and help us to WIN the Let's Get Trivical prize? You have til 8 to get here...

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.