View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Record Store Day

themapples  said about 6 years ago  or at  1:58PM on Wednesday, February 13 2008 in events

April 19 is Record Store Day, basically a day that celebrates and publicises independent record stores. Between downloading and major chains, they're getting squeezed out.

I don't know if any Australian places are involved, but anything that draws attention to awesome record shops can't hurt.

JunkiePhil  said about 6 years ago:

What does it actualy do for ME thought?
Sales?
Open later?
NOTHING, I bet.
Good on em ,but...

shaun  said about 6 years ago:

open till midnight would be awesome, i always get an itch for record shopping at eleven or so on a friday night

JunkiePhil  said about 6 years ago:

I think polyester is open till 10 or 11 on a friday night.
I got some shit real late one night.

djbollocks  said about 6 years ago:

I will make sure I buy a record on this day.

shaun  said about 6 years ago:

that's awesome, though I'm in Sydney and the only thing likely to be still open at that time is JB Hi-Fi

anonymous  said about 6 years ago:

bump, i think utopia is participating, dunno what with though.

Ohyeah  said about 6 years ago:

day of record fair in glebe

raven  said about 6 years ago:

day of record fair in glebe

Yay! Let's all spend all our record-buying money on second-hand records at the fair and then have nothing left to spend on actual record stores :)

MrsGideon  said about 6 years ago:

Tomorrow!

HEB  said about 6 years ago:

CELEBRATE RECORD STORE DAY, SATURDAY APRIL 19TH AT THE UK'S BEST RECORD STORE, ROUGH TRADE EAST!

Instore performances by:
The Veils
Billy Bragg
make Model
The Metros...

anna89  said about 6 years ago:

Greville St Records appear to be celebrating on Sunday with an in store performance including Tim Rogers, Lisa Miller, Chris Wilson, Paul Dempsey and Rowland S Howard.

shortrockus  said about 6 years ago:

i always thought red eye is an independent record store.
doesn't seem to give a shit or mention about this day.

batman4eva  said about 6 years ago:

When I have my own record store everyone is invited for ROCK'N'ROLL DANCE PARTYS AND HOTDOGS AND CHIPPIES ALL DAY AWWW YEAAAHHH 360 BABY.

I'm going to spend Record Store Day, that's right, buying records.

outerspacextrapnel  said about 6 years ago:

Make sure not to buy them in a record store.

Nah, buying records online ain't nearly as much fun.

MickeyPratt  said about 6 years ago:

Hey, I'm working in a record store today....

TimChuma  said about 6 years ago:

Jeff Lang playing at Basement Discs in the city. You'll need a crowbar to get in there with all the people.

Reverb  said about 6 years ago:

i'm very gutted that i can't be in london today. It would be very cool to see the Veils and Braggster at rough trade

porkiepie  said about 6 years ago:

is rowland really playing tomorrow? this is great!

View Comments 20 to 219

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

djbollocks  said about 6 months ago:

records mostly.

outerspacextrapnel  said about 6 months ago:

zing!

moke  said about 6 months ago:

I really, really want the REM one. I called Polyester and they said they couldn't say what they'd have, or what time they'd be opening on the day, which seems a little odd.

JRB  said about 6 months ago:

Does anyone else think this ''SUPER RARE LIMITED EDITION RECORDZZZZZZ'' thing is kinda like comics were in the '90s where every second issue was a SUPER SPECIAL MULTIPLE GOLD FOIL COLLECTABLE COVERZZZZZ deal which led to speculators buying up the ocmics, the resale market crashing and the entire industry nearly being destroyed?

In a word, yes. I think a similar thing happened with collectable baseball cards in the US as well. That said, I think the widespread appeal of vinyl records is big enough to withstand a similar thing happening in the near future.

Moke - the store I work at is in the same boat as polyester. There's no guarantee that we'll be able to get the titles we've ordered, or that they'll even arrive before Record Store Day.

Oh, thanks Bollocks. I'm hoping that REM are sufficiently not in as much demand as other titles and I'll be able to walk in somewhere and just pick one up.

carwashhair  said about 6 months ago:

I think a similar thing happened with collectable baseball cards in the US as well

Oh man, all my 14year old investment dreams were caught up in this. Since then, it's been Term Deposits for me!

Great record store day this year. Was such a cool sight to see a queue of people lining up to get into Thornbury Records first thing this morning, it reminded me of the days when people would line up to get the latest record from a big band. Checked out Round and Round Records in Brunswick which was bustling with people all afternoon. Nice to see so much love for local record stores, I think all the exclusive releases are a nice little incentive but it's really all about supporting independent stores and people coming together chokes up.

That was disappointing. Seemed like every store had the same twenty titles. None of them being my REM album. Never really gone in for this until this year, as I spend half my life in record stores anyway.

woolfat  said about 6 months ago:

I stumbled into Thornbury Records around 1pm today and the place had been RAIDED. Luckily still grabbed the Adalita LP I wanted but woah, people were ripping stuff down from the walls in that place.

gottagetawookie  said about 6 months ago:

wha?, i wandered into a record store thinking it was there. and gave up my mission

who gets raided in this day and age?

joeboy  said about 6 months ago:

Managed to pick up

Ultimate alternative wavers - built to spill
Spreading rumours - grouplove

Really wanted the r.e.m unplugged. Havant ears of it anywhere in Australia yet. However there are about 30 copies on eBay already, for exorbitant amounts. These flippers kinda suck the meaning out of the day. However, was good fun.

pfinger18  said about 6 months ago:

T'was crazy in Canberra yesterday. A friend texted me from the giant queue outside Landspeed Records. Pictorial evidence of said queue here: https://www.facebook.com/landspeedrecords

steveholt  said about 6 months ago:

Good article on The Quietus about Record Store Day and how essentially it has been hijacked by major labels going against the primary intention of the day in the first place. Food for thought.

I for one think that anything that brings peoples to record stores in big numbers (like the good old days) is only a good thing. Like djbollocks said nice to see people coming together. Reminded me of lining up at midnight at Big Star for big ticket releases and in stores in the basement there.

For anyone interested who missed out on the Life Without Buildings LP the Whats Your Rupture big cartel page has copies up for normal prices.

stuff and things  said about 6 months ago:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but fuck Record Store Day, it has begun to interfere with independent record labels due to the scarcity of vinyl pressing plants, has led to a de-valuing of independent digital music, and is now a celebration of the bourgeois music industry almost as it was.
Go buy your friends' music, go buy music from your favourite indie label, go help people who do it outta love. Hell, go download free mp3s instead.

outerspacextrapnel  said about 6 months ago:

Thank you international date line for making me miss out on this in both the USA and Oz.

goingblank  said about 6 months ago:

I got Ultimate Alternative Wavers and I just ordered Any Other City from What's Your Rupture (thanks steveholt!). Wouldn't have minded that Mazzy Star 7'' if there'd been any around.

steveholt  said about 6 months ago:

Predictably eBay and discogs awash with overpriced RSD releases now. All I can say is a big fuck you to those people that bought with the intention of profiteering. Completely against the spirit of the day.

has led to a de-valuing of independent digital music

this can only be a good thing, Right?

Predictably eBay and discogs awash with overpriced RSD releases now. All I can say is a big fuck you to those people that bought with the intention of profiteering. Completely against the spirit of the day.

I confess I did buy a couple of releases with this intention but then I thought better of it. Better to wait twenty years and then sell them.

mrmagoo  said about 6 months ago:

i slept in and missed it again!

oh well, i am not going to jump on ebay straight away and try and buy the things i was after. there is a distinct spike in the value of most of these things in the first weeks/months after record store day, then they drop significantly

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.