View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Record Store Day

themapples  said about 6 years ago  or at  1:58PM on Wednesday, February 13 2008 in events

April 19 is Record Store Day, basically a day that celebrates and publicises independent record stores. Between downloading and major chains, they're getting squeezed out.

I don't know if any Australian places are involved, but anything that draws attention to awesome record shops can't hurt.

JunkiePhil  said about 6 years ago:

What does it actualy do for ME thought?
Sales?
Open later?
NOTHING, I bet.
Good on em ,but...

shaun  said about 6 years ago:

open till midnight would be awesome, i always get an itch for record shopping at eleven or so on a friday night

JunkiePhil  said about 6 years ago:

I think polyester is open till 10 or 11 on a friday night.
I got some shit real late one night.

djbollocks  said about 6 years ago:

I will make sure I buy a record on this day.

shaun  said about 6 years ago:

that's awesome, though I'm in Sydney and the only thing likely to be still open at that time is JB Hi-Fi

anonymous  said about 6 years ago:

bump, i think utopia is participating, dunno what with though.

Ohyeah  said about 6 years ago:

day of record fair in glebe

raven  said about 6 years ago:

day of record fair in glebe

Yay! Let's all spend all our record-buying money on second-hand records at the fair and then have nothing left to spend on actual record stores :)

MrsGideon  said about 6 years ago:

Tomorrow!

HEB  said about 6 years ago:

CELEBRATE RECORD STORE DAY, SATURDAY APRIL 19TH AT THE UK'S BEST RECORD STORE, ROUGH TRADE EAST!

Instore performances by:
The Veils
Billy Bragg
make Model
The Metros...

anna89  said about 6 years ago:

Greville St Records appear to be celebrating on Sunday with an in store performance including Tim Rogers, Lisa Miller, Chris Wilson, Paul Dempsey and Rowland S Howard.

shortrockus  said about 6 years ago:

i always thought red eye is an independent record store.
doesn't seem to give a shit or mention about this day.

batman4eva  said about 6 years ago:

When I have my own record store everyone is invited for ROCK'N'ROLL DANCE PARTYS AND HOTDOGS AND CHIPPIES ALL DAY AWWW YEAAAHHH 360 BABY.

I'm going to spend Record Store Day, that's right, buying records.

outerspacextrapnel  said about 6 years ago:

Make sure not to buy them in a record store.

Nah, buying records online ain't nearly as much fun.

MickeyPratt  said about 6 years ago:

Hey, I'm working in a record store today....

TimChuma  said about 6 years ago:

Jeff Lang playing at Basement Discs in the city. You'll need a crowbar to get in there with all the people.

Reverb  said about 6 years ago:

i'm very gutted that i can't be in london today. It would be very cool to see the Veils and Braggster at rough trade

porkiepie  said about 6 years ago:

is rowland really playing tomorrow? this is great!

View Comments 20 to 206

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

radiotron  said 28 days ago:

anything good happening locally?

i think Alberts are doing an Easybeats best of reissue and Stevie Wright's Hard Road
Tym guitars is doing Girl in the Sweater 7 inch reissue

geneclark70  said 28 days ago:

Adalita's two solo albums are being released as 2LP editions, 500 copies or so.

As well as Easybeats and Stevie Wright RSD releases there's a Rose Tattoo and Angels reissue from Alberts too, which I think was mentioned in the Doc Neeson article today on M+N.

JRB  said 28 days ago:

I want the DJ Andy Smith box set myself.

geneclark70  said 28 days ago:

I want the DJ Andy Smith box set myself.

That looks great, I'll grab it myself if I see it. Not much else has grabbed my eye, except for Life Without Buildings and maybe the 7'' of The Litter's Action Woman.

LaxCharisma  said 28 days ago:

Yeah didn't see the Adalita album listed. Also thought Bowies ''Reality'' was getting RSD release. Also not listed.

Velodrone  said 25 days ago:

I want the re-issue of A Minor Forest's Flemish Altruism / Inindependence 4x12'' and the re-issue of Breadwinner's Burner.

anonymous  said 25 days ago:

Hoping to get the pissed jeans live disc.

blake3030  said 24 days ago:

Super keen to get the Songs Ohia 7-inch box, but I doubt anyone here will have it.

mrmagoo  said 24 days ago:

would like that one as well, plus the Built to Spill thing, and the live Tame Impala

Eple  said 23 days ago:

nice competition http://titlespace.com/getpressed/ - and yes I would like the Tame Impala live record.

Ghostface  said 22 days ago:

I want the Dino Jr box set if it's not stupid bags of cash

djbollocks  said 21 days ago:

Record Store Day this year falls on an Easter Saturday, which won't be that great for record stores, what with so many people away that long weekend.

outerspacextrapnel  said 20 days ago:

I thought it was on the Sunday. What are you guys selling this year?

djbollocks  said 20 days ago:

records mostly.

outerspacextrapnel  said 19 days ago:

zing!

moke  said 19 days ago:

I really, really want the REM one. I called Polyester and they said they couldn't say what they'd have, or what time they'd be opening on the day, which seems a little odd.

JRB  said 19 days ago:

Does anyone else think this ''SUPER RARE LIMITED EDITION RECORDZZZZZZ'' thing is kinda like comics were in the '90s where every second issue was a SUPER SPECIAL MULTIPLE GOLD FOIL COLLECTABLE COVERZZZZZ deal which led to speculators buying up the ocmics, the resale market crashing and the entire industry nearly being destroyed?

djbollocks  said 3 days ago:

In a word, yes. I think a similar thing happened with collectable baseball cards in the US as well. That said, I think the widespread appeal of vinyl records is big enough to withstand a similar thing happening in the near future.

Moke - the store I work at is in the same boat as polyester. There's no guarantee that we'll be able to get the titles we've ordered, or that they'll even arrive before Record Store Day.

moke  said 3 days ago:

Oh, thanks Bollocks. I'm hoping that REM are sufficiently not in as much demand as other titles and I'll be able to walk in somewhere and just pick one up.

carwashhair  said 3 days ago:

I think a similar thing happened with collectable baseball cards in the US as well

Oh man, all my 14year old investment dreams were caught up in this. Since then, it's been Term Deposits for me!

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.