View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

chicago

endtroducing...  said about 8 years ago  or at  12:56AM on Saturday, September 2 2006 in chat

good central cheap places to stay? anybody know em?

im looking at $85US a night at the days inn at the moment

AlterEgo  said about 6 years ago:

soooo...bump? also, stuff to do? Places to see? Will be spending about 3 days here.

Gorn  said about 6 years ago:

you can get a good hostel for heaps cheaper than that. I stayed at this place in Lincoln Park - pretty standard run-down cheap place but good. arlington house

Go to the zoo in Lincoln Park, it's free. Go see Shellac play.

Go to Millennium Park and see the giant bean

stever  said about 6 years ago:

start a treble-heavy, discordant indie rock band

trafficsounds  said about 6 years ago:

oh i'm due there too, no idea what to do but apparently i have a detroiter being my 'tour guide'. raven's suggestion previously was to do a lake/river cruise and casey r's suggestion is for me to hit up all the bars he used to live across. sounds ace!

josejones  said about 6 years ago:

Go to Millennium Park and see the giant bean

i second this! be sure to get a coupla beers at the outdoor bar.

love your icon jose! i like giant monuments. is it impressive in a big pineapple kinda way?

i was hoping to go see a ball game there, but there's no home games on, so i'm going to see the giants play houston in SF instead. So far all i've got as things to do is:

Sears sky tower deck, and possibly 6 flags great america. also check out the navy pier and possibly hire bikes there and go for a ride around? and check out lincoln park and lake michigan. i'm starting to wonder if we should maybe do a day trip to detroit!? that might be extreme though, considering we'll only be there for 3 days. i kind of want to skip museums here because i'll be going to quite a few in NYC.

also i'm not a shellac fan, sorry. they kind of just make me feel violent and angry.

knomadix  said about 6 years ago:

LOVE CHICAGO!!!! LOVE

awesome. why?

fuck Detroit. Total shithole. Just go to one of the shitter areas on Chicago for the same experience.

don't tell me that. i'm doing 4 days in detroit hah. everybody says it a hole, unless you talk to any native mitten staters who will vehemently defend their city something fierce. i wanted to go to a ball game too (love baseball!) but season doesn't start til april :( so i'm going to a basketball game instead. pistons of course!

switchbladesisters  said about 6 years ago:

I want Motown paraphenalia!

switchbladesisters  said about 6 years ago:

put your hands up for detroit! (as you are being mugged.)

Fielding Mellish  said about 6 years ago:

I went to Motown. It was awesome. I didnt wanna leave. They have Michael Jackson's glove there. Chicago is rad. I did a Ferris Bueller's Day of reality tour. The stock exchange was boring though. Not like in the movie.

so can anyone specifically name cool stuff to see? or are we all just going to argue the virtues of chicago without explaining why?

barbedwirestar  said about 6 years ago:

Spend some time in WIcker Park - the coolest part of Chicago

what is there to do/see in wicker park?

barbedwirestar  said about 6 years ago:

There are a lot of cool cafes and thrift/vintage stores to shop in. One street in particular is very cool, can't remember the name tho...

View Comments 20 to 71

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

amplexus  said about 3 years ago:

don't forget dunkin donuts dude

dnzr  said about 3 years ago:

Dunkin donuts were such a let down.

tigers  said about 3 years ago:

Go to Cal's Liquors for some sweet, cheap grungy beers.

The Empty Bottle is a good place to catch a show and drink too.

tigers  said about 3 years ago:

Ha - just clicked my own link and saw that Deaf Wish are playing at the Empty Bottle, so you're already going there. Great job!

knomadix  said about 3 years ago:

yep.. empty bottle is GREAT!

dannulla  said about 3 years ago:

knomadix said 14 hours ago:

yep.. empty bottle is GREAT!

and the food they serve up in their cafe next door is great as well,

goldbuttons  said about 2 years ago:

Just going to throw it out there: I am in chicago now if anybody happens to be in chicago and wants to get a drink.

trafficsounds  said about 2 years ago:

wrong coast goldie! i'd meet you for a drink if you were in LA :P

goldbuttons  said about 2 years ago:

It's possible that I will be in a couple of weeks! Will let you know

black wasp!  said about 3 months ago:

I'm visiting Chicago in November. I'm not desperate for tips, as I've got some pretty solid local connections, but if there's anything you'd like to piff in there, I'd be very appreciative – especially any recent ideas on good places to stay for not much money.

The_Tupelo_Flash  said about 3 months ago:

so er, you're right for tips but want some tips?!

Yep!

;)

Oh, you know. Just anything not obvious I guess.

JRB  said about 3 months ago:

The Museum of Outsider Art is tops.

outerspacextrapnel  said about 3 months ago:

dannulla  said about 3 months ago:

$27 buys you an unlimited bus and rail pass for 7 days, trains run every 15 mins 24/7, best thing I bought when I was there

fireballb  said about 3 months ago:

The HI hostel in Chicago is pretty decent and in a good spot. Otherwise, check out Airbnb listings for Wicker Park / Bucktown.

November is the start of the NBA season. Sports fan or not, go to a Bulls game!

HI was good except that for whatever reason everyone seemed to be happy using the free wi fi and not talking to anyone. But it's just down the road from Buddy Guy's which kept me happy.

The_Tupelo_Flash  said about 3 months ago:

HI was good except that for whatever reason everyone seemed to be happy using the free wi fi and not talking to anyone.

sounds perfect

Haha. Does HI = Holiday Inn?

I wish! Murph & The Magictones are FANTASTIC!

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.