View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

icehouse/flowers/iva appreciation

gusseting  said about 7 years ago  or at  10:54PM on Tuesday, August 15 2006 in music

holy cow! icehouse are gonna do bdo!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Day_Out#2007

the song that's the kicker for me is flowers (pre icehouse) "we can get together". fucking genius. it's so innocent, but iva is so eighties and fakin' that english accent and angsty in his howls...

maybe sometime...
you can buckle my shoes...

do you have any icehouse/flowers/iva memories?

HEB  said about 7 years ago:

Saw Flowers at the Princess Theatre supporting Jo Jo Zep and The Falcons the week that the debut Icehouse album came out. Won tickets through 3XY.

First tour as Icehouse, they played at Festival Hall. Support was a unknown lot of young scots - Simple Minds

Also saw them tour on Primitive Man at the Ballroom of The Venue. Support was Deckchairs Overboard.

3RRR used to have an old live-to-air of the original four-piece doing most of the debut as well as ripping covers of Funtime, Waiting For The Man and more...
...quite unlike later covers on The Berlin Tapes

damselfly  said about 7 years ago:

saw them lots as flowers. iva always had great leg action happening when he sang. bought him lots of drinks.

This was the live-to-air

1. Fat Man
  2. Not My Kind
  3. Send Somebody
  4. Boulevard
  5. Goodnight Mr Matthews
  6. Nothing To Do
  7. Skin
  8. Waiting For The Man
  9. Sons
  10. Sister
  11. Icehouse
  12. What Should I Do?
  13. Cant Help Myself
  14. We Can Get Together
  15. Walls
  16. Telegram Sam
  17. Fun Time

Modi  said about 7 years ago:

My brother bought Man of Colours. I didn't like it. The end.

Stop after the first two LPs and get a copy of John Brand's remix of Dusty Pages. All you need

madcans  said about 7 years ago:

man of colours is awesome.

i won a prize dancing to electric blue when i was like 8 or 9

Goal attack  said about 7 years ago:

Iva's Bicentennial concert guitar solo splits was awesome.

thenewmeatloaf  said about 7 years ago:

Flowers were tops.

Icehouse sucked balls.

The end.

McGauz  said about 7 years ago:

welll you've gotta be crazy baby, to want a guy like me! yeah you've gotta be out of your mind.. CRAZY!

knomadix  said about 7 years ago:

I wanted hair like that mo fo once.

McGauz  said about 7 years ago:

Man of Colours is great!

kabukiboy  said about 7 years ago:

my ex's brother was the keyboard player in flowers - there's a gold album laying around her house somewhere

nothroughroad  said about 7 years ago:

are icehouse really playin at the BDO?

well?!

montyclift  said about 7 years ago:

apparently yes.

used to ride my lambretta to see them playing t.rex covers at the sussex hotel. and they were flowers, and a real band. icehouse tended to be iva and whoever could program the samplers.

sum1  said about 7 years ago:

Flowers good, Icehouse bad.

rosiefantail  said about 7 years ago:

I can't believe it has taken me this long to discover this thread as for some time I have been in the grip of EXTREME ICEHOUSE APPRECIATION.

extreme ey

angelic_layer  said about 7 years ago:

flowers are cool

icehose...thank fuck the 80's are over..never ever going back there..see Ken Done thread for why.

View Comments 20 to 119

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

ladyinred  said about 2 years ago:

meh. I love Icehouse. <3

they played Crazy too.

ladyinred  said about 2 years ago:

and Hey Little Girl

outoftheaircrash  said about 2 years ago:

Creepy old men

bigdaddykane  said about 2 years ago:

So sluggish. They needed a bit of what I was having. Pep them old cunts up.

monkeyman  said about 2 years ago:

I remember seeing them play on that 'Australian Made' TV concert back in the 80's when I was a kid - and they sounded really slow and off key. It was my first experience of realising a band could be much shitter live than they sounded on record.

Hellzapoppin  said about 2 years ago:

I was expecting nothing and thought they were fantastic. Such much more interesting than Neil Fucking Finn. Sax solos!!

Wyld Ted  said about 2 years ago:

I saw them open for AC/DC (in the Dave days) as Flowers at the Adelaide Bicycle Club

Ben  said about 2 years ago:

nope. Neil Finn owned... ice House (as it's written these days) were pretty placid.

Sax solos always rule tho.. agreed

Wyld Ted  said about 2 years ago:

All of the Finns suck.

They can get fucked with their boring ballady shite

Davel  said about 2 years ago:

RRR used to have a recording of a flowers gig at Storey hall, they snipped it up onto carts and played them like singles. They were easily the best recorded versions of the flowers songs. Some old mates of mine did the recording in an old bread van with a multitracker inside, parked in a lane next to the hall. I rang up Neil Rogers once and asked him what happened to them, he said he'd get back to me, years ago. The versions on the recent release were close, but no cigar.

ratz  said about 2 years ago:

Hey Guys,
We're very excited to announce that we'll be touring Australia again in 2012 for the Primitive Colours tour! If you haven't already guessed the tour will focus on us playing songs from Primitive Man & Man Of Colours to celebrate their anniversary edition re-releases on July 13th. Aswell as playing all the tracks from these records, we'll also be playing songs you should be familiar with across the rest of our re-released catalogue.

To make things extra special for our true fans, at both the Enmore Theatre (Sydney) and Hamer Hall (Melbourne) shows you'll be able to purchase tickets in the Obsession Zone, an allocated area within the seating plan of each theatre, allowing you to get up close and personal with us.

“Getting the band back out touring last year turned out to be a lot of fun and excitement for us all. We’ve had varied requests to perform again and decided that in this double Anniversary year for two of the most known ICEHOUSE albums, the best way would be to perform a few more songs from both albums. Having done the festivals, wineries and entertainment centres since last October, we also wanted to have the chance to get closer to the audiences so we’re playing a variety of venues, ranging from Hamer Hall in Melbourne to a couple of nights in Dee Why (just around the corner from where the band played its early gigs as Flowers) and big pub venues in Brisbane – its just like the days when we toured Primitive Man!” - Iva Davies.

We really hope to see you at one of these special shows, tour dates + venue and ticketing information is below.
ICEHOUSE “PRIMITIVE COLOURS TOUR”
General Public On-Sale: Monday 16th July

Saturday 3rd November 2012 – Enmore Theatre, SYDNEY, NSW www.ticketek.com.au / 132 849 Ticket price $79.00 & $89.00 + booking and credit card fees

Monday 5th November 2012 – Hamer Hall – The Arts Centre, MELBOURNE, VIC www.artscentremelbourne.com.au / 1300 182 183 Ticket price $79.00 & $89.00 + booking and credit card fees

ratz  said about 2 years ago:

That was an email I just got from the Icehouse mailing list thingy.

moke  said about 2 years ago:

Brilliant. Can't bloody wait for more Icehouse!

bigdaddykane  said about 2 years ago:

Snooooooooze. They are pretty underwhelming live, and I saw them twice.
I thought Iva said he'd ''rather lick his way to the centre of the earth than be involved in a nostalgia tour''.
What's this then Iva, WHAT IS THIS?

turkey_sandwich  said about 2 years ago:

those prices seem steep.

moke  said about 2 years ago:

I reckon those prices are pretty reasonable for what you're getting. Based on the Espy show last year, which was incredible, I am very, very excited for this!

turkey_sandwich  said about 2 years ago:

not saying it wouldn't be worth the money (i'm a big icehouse fan) but reading above my first thought was ''do they really have to charge that much?''.

als_fish  said about 1 year ago:

Just got back from the Enmore show. Some flat moments but overall pretty good. It's awesome watching old people dance awkward and hit on each other. About 400 times better than the awful Dick Diver show I went to a few weeks back.

moke  said about 1 year ago:

Tonight! I am getting quite excited by this, although imminent Radiohead are beginning to eclipse any excitement I have for any other gigs.

nomad  said about 7 months ago:

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.