View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Wes Anderson films

Friends Forever  said about 7 years ago  or at  12:20AM on Saturday, September 22 2007 in films

I'm in love with Wes Anderson films at the moment. Everything is perfect about them. The music, the characters, camera movement, dialouge, etc. Too bad there's only like 4 because I really want more. And the trailer for his new film looks good.

goldbuttons  said about 7 years ago:

I know a guy who looks exactly like the guy (I forget his name) in Rushmore.
The resemblance is almost frightening.

Friends Forever  said about 7 years ago:

I could imagine.

nishiki  said about 7 years ago:

go find his american express card ad on youtube. everything this man does is amazing.

drugshakehands  said about 7 years ago:

i like everyone of them except for life aquatic, i couldn't get into that.

andyr  said about 7 years ago:

What are you doing? I ordered the wine. He knows nothing about wine.

I thought this was a puff piece?

tinyman  said about 7 years ago:

i dug the Life Aquatic. the bits of electro music composed on the ship, the fantastic colours, love it.

outerspacextrapnel  said about 7 years ago:

yawn. I liked bottle rocket, but that's about it.

I just watched Rushmore again.

capo3rdfret  said about 7 years ago:

these are my O.R. scrubs

O R they?!

omgggg love that scene. And also the revenge scene with the bees. The music just works so well with that montage.

k2  said about 7 years ago:

there's a new film about four brothers traveling together in India - cant remember the name, but watched the preview via Frontrow on my laptop. It'll be on the Apple site I imagine.

TagoMago  said about 7 years ago:

Is this the Robert Altman wannabe or is that the other Anderson

fulton girls club  said about 7 years ago:

I know a guy who looks exactly like the guy (I forget his name) in Rushmore. The resemblance is almost frightening.

is his name zac walton?

The guy I know?
Nope his name is Kitch (actual name!) something or other

russiancaravan  said about 6 years ago:

Apologies if this was posted before the ''Missing Month''...

Wes Anderson's American Express commercial

Despite the inherent lameness of the ad series, this is brilliant.

scallywag  said about 6 years ago:

when perusing a certain magazine for women who enjoy the company of other women, i happened acorss an interesting essay on wes anderson films from a feminist perspective. basically summed his films up as excusing white boys behaving badly.

and this blog borders on calling him a racist for his treatment of coloured characters

djbollocks  said about 6 years ago:

Cool ad. I still prefer the Martin Scorcese one though.

VelvetDogge  said about 6 years ago:

don't know why i have this urge to list these but i rank 'em thusly:

1. the life aquatic
  2. rushmore
  3. bottle rocket
  4. the darjeeling limited
  5. the royal tenenbaums

i thought the darjeeling ltd was a bit 1-note. i like how the llife aquatic kind of turns into this action flick halfway through.

PaulsGrandfather  said about 6 years ago:

I rank them like this:

1. Rushmore
  2. The Royal Tenenbaums
  3. The Life Aquatic
  4. Bottle Rocket
  5. The Darjeeling Ltd

View Comments 20 to 67

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

LoadMyRig  said about 1 year ago:

by short film, do you mean prada ad? why yes!

EasternSuburbs  said about 1 year ago:

Charles Dumar  said about 9 months ago:

It's amazing. I think it's my favourite Anderson film so far. Fiennes is amazing, as is Revolori.

Everyone should, nay, must... No, no... Should go see this*

*must.

Northside  said about 8 months ago:

Saw Grand Budapest last night. I thought it was good. Quite a poignant ending. Still not really a patch on Rushmore or Royal Tenenbaums though. A bit sad that he seems to have ditched the pop soundtracks. Also it's all becoming a bit too samey. Still... a good film all in all.

SnoopDoug  said about 8 months ago:

I thought it was pretty good, but I enjoyed Moonrise Kingdom more. Like northside mentions, I think it feels a bit ''samey''.

I watched Royal Tenenbaums again earlier this year - the Mrs hadn't seen it. She fell asleep, and it wasn't as awesome as I remembered. Maybe because I knew what was going on this time around.

sting-bono  said about 8 months ago:

I saw Grand Budapest Hotel, this was my experience:

15 mins in: wow, great cast, great sets, nicely shot. Can't remember why I thought badly of Wes Anderson.

30 mins in: Wes Anderson is a treasure, such a wonderful eccentric.

45 mins in: This is like eating too much sweet food, i'm starting to feel sick.

1 hour in: It's amazing how every single cunt in Hollywood gravitates to his movies like flies to shit.

1.15 hours in: This is fucking horrible and the story is going nowhere. Please end soon.

1.30 hours: Existential crisis.

Movies End: Fuck that! I don't want to see another Wes Anderson film ever again.

18 months later: Oh Wes Anderson has a new movie, looks funny, with a great cast. I should go see it.

GOD  said about 8 months ago:

haha

LoadMyRig  said about 8 months ago:

nah budapest just went into my top three wes films. kicked out tenenbaums, if you must know.

ocelotl  said about 8 months ago:

Big ups for Fantastic Mr Fox! Besides that, Darjeeling Ltd put me off him. Maybe I prefer him to work with puppets. Should I reconsider? I should I suppose. sigh

My gripe was there was no character development whatsoever, the adventure and mystery was surface deep and merely a cluttered exposition of characters and sets with little storyline. Solipsism in place of wonder. Fantasy that's not fantastic. Vanity. What the fuck was Harvey Keitel doing with his pecs. Self important actors acting self important. Scoffs in place of laughter. I don't hate it, but I don't want to get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2bgSKMv3Xo

Seriously Harvey, when you're over 70 you shouldn't be trying to flex your muscles in a scene as if you're Matthew McConnaughey or Ryan Gosling. It makes you come across like a chimp that has electrodes wired to its brain with some far off mad doctor making it tense and spasm uncontrollably. Your horrible man tits stole this scene, I have no idea of what else is going on. It's meant to be Winter, put a shirt on.

woolfat  said about 8 months ago:

Wes Anderson is a master of recycling. No interest whatsoever. There are better things to do/watch.

ocelotl have you seen the life aqautic. if not, DO IT.

fantastic mr fox is my number 2 wes anderson. THE BEST FUR ACTION EVER

the grand budapest MUST BE SEEN.

woolfat, it's not called recycling, it's called a cinematic style. and it happens to be a style i fucking love.

hyperfuzz  said about 8 months ago:

i thought it was great

ocelotl  said about 8 months ago:

ocelotl have you seen the life aqautic.

I have, maybe twice even. I liked it. Just seem to have lost interest in ol' Wes lately.

sad face

marlonbrandivino  said about 8 months ago:

Not a fan, saw Budapest, still not a fan. However, I think whoever did the trailer for the film deserves an award - so good that the movie was always going to be a let down.

GrantleyBuffalo  said about 8 months ago:

Grantley Buffalo said about 2 years ago:

I liked Bottle Rocket. I liked Rushmore. I couldn't make it through either of Tenenbaums or Life Aquatic.
Fantastic Mr Fox was one of my favourite childhood books... should I watch the movie, or will it just make me angry?

Turns out I couldn't make it through Mr Fox either. Looks like I'll be giving Budapest a wide berth too...

woolfat  said about 8 months ago:

woolfat, it's not called recycling, it's called a cinematic style. and it happens to be a style i fucking love.

I can understand that, althought to me it's like he found the winning lottery numbers and keeps banking on the same ones over and over and over and over again. but maybe don't fix it if it isn't broke... for me, it's very broke. that's all. but I'm also not really one for whimsy, so go figure.

juicenewton*  said about 6 months ago:

Well just took my mum to this and as a clear Wes Anderson non-appreciator (have not been able to finish any of his previous efforts and i'm usually a hell or highwater kinda filmgoer) I must say I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Maybe a little less hipster soundtrack and ye olde staging won me over (I am a push over for parallel universe Nazis). And although you are supposed to lament he loss of pre-war Europe, I was actually dying with pangs for the Communist institution hotel makeover. I want to live in that orange carpeted, helvetica signposted dining room forever.

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.