View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Morrissey and The Smiths

MyBlackHeartPain  said about 7 years ago  or at  3:19PM on Friday, September 14 2007 in music

oh. my. god.

i saw The Queen Is Dead atop some music poll, so i went and bought the album, and it's the greatest thing from the 80s i've ever heard. i wasn't even born when it came out.

i've been reading a lot of the singer Morrissey's lyrics, and he's really really good. Anyone else know them? You're all old, so you should!!

Are The Smiths still around, or did they turn all lame-o?

nyx  said about 7 years ago:

superfast pointless reply

steveholt  said about 7 years ago:

I think I saw them play at a mates wedding the other week. They've resorted to Robbie Williams and Dave Matthews Band covers

MyBlackHeartPain  said about 7 years ago:

haha, i hope that's not true!

Ark Shattack  said about 7 years ago:

HI MYBLACKHEARTPAIN!

How's Glenelg? Did you realise that's a palindrome?

Glenelg is still ok. Thanks Ark Shattack.

How's mom?

She's living with her new boyfriend.

This thread is awesome.

Peter  said about 7 years ago:

you might enjoy reading The Severed Alliance by Johnny Rogan, MBHP. it's ''the definitive story of The Smiths.'' i'd give you my copy - I have a couple of 'em, (one's actually signed by the author, no small thing considering who the author is...) but i always try to encourage people to check out their local independently owned new and used book stores.

hey Ark Shattack, did you see this story on this awesome website?:

story

thanks Peter!

Ha, I did actually. Did your mom and her new boyfriend enter?

I did. This guy from work did too, but he doesn't have a chance. My chance is much better because I am awesomer than god.

ratz  said about 5 years ago:

CaptainFez  said about 5 years ago:

Until today I had no idea that the picture on those two best-of albums was a Dennis Hopper.

Taschen are selling a 100-run print of the photo, signed by Hopper. A steal at only a thousand quid.

(I think it comes with his book, too, which - given that it's 450 quid - is probably a good deal.)

postergirl  said about 5 years ago:

I just did a bit of research and it seems there is no version of this book that plebs like me could afford. It's either the £1000 'art edition' or the limited edition (the £450 one, of which there are 1500 copies). This is grossly unfair.

Just wait. Taschen will do a cheaper reprint in a couple of years. They're doing it with the Newton book.

Earl Brutus  said about 5 years ago:

Im partially aggrieved at the title of this thread. Its like saying jarvis cocker and pulp or edwyn collins and orange juice. Sorry.

Urquhart Bluff  said about 5 years ago:

Ha ha! I thought the same thing when I saw it. Morrissey and The Smiths are my favourite band of all time!

Just wait. Taschen will do a cheaper reprint in a couple of years.

But … but … I don't wanna wait that long! I could be run over by a bus before then!

cries

WTF?

Cover art would be more appropriate for a book about women's shoes or cocktails or something.

View Comments 20 to 119

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

King_Rat  said about 6 months ago:

The big C

zombo  said about 6 months ago:

yeah. shit times.

i'm almost finished the aforementioned Autobiography - it's actually great, once you get past the Dickensian childhood.

moke  said about 6 months ago:

The Autobiography is kind of great, but also really shit.

I wonder if this is one of those things like when Freddie Mercury made a statement about having aids and then was dead two days later.

mrmagoo  said about 1 month ago:

anonymous  said about 1 month ago:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/feb/25/morrissey-headlines-vivid-2015-with-sydney-opera-house-going-meat-free

In his sole Australian appearance, the venue will comply with the British singer’s demands for vegetarian food options only on the nights he performs

geneclark70  said about 1 month ago:

''What shall Morrissey do-ooo-oooo, when a hundred thousand sausage rolls come marching into the Opera House''

anok  said about 1 month ago:

dudes - when is the rest of the vivid lineup likely to be announced?

geneclark70  said about 1 month ago:

Still no official date. Hopes were high for before end of March but I wouldn't be surprised if it was early April.

anok  said about 1 month ago:

damnit - pals got moz tix and want to plan a roadtrip, but i don't want to commit until everything is out there.

tugboat  said about 1 month ago:

Pan Amateur  said about 1 month ago:

Enjoying the new Johnny Marr single, the Forum is going to be rammed with ex-goths for his show.

Eple  said 29 days ago:

I'm about 50 pages from finishing A Light That Never Goes Out: The Enduring Saga of the Smiths.

lekkas  said 29 days ago:

Any good?

Northside  said 29 days ago:

Yeah any good? After reading Morrissey's book, I'm not sure if I can handle any further documentation of The Smiths.

TheBigShip  said 29 days ago:

none of the bios i've read get close to The Severed Alliance, but i'm curious about that one too...

Eple  said 23 days ago:

A Light That Never Goes Out: The Enduring Saga of the Smiths that was good but I then went and borrowed the Johnny Rogan book - The Severed Alliance from the library. The version is the updated version so I might just read the added in bits. Johnny Marr I always thought was a good guy and he still is but reading the first book has made me rethink it.

Also reading Tracey Thorns book but thats for another thread.

Campsie Library has the best books!

Arthurly  said 23 days ago:

Hey Eple - what's that Tracey Thorn book like? I almost purchased in when I was in Paris waiting for the train (how ETBTG of me) but I didn't and now I kinda regret it.

Also, listening to The Smiths Peel Sessions I was bowled over by how tough they could sound at times.

Eple  said 23 days ago:

Arthurly> I got the book Sunday and have been reading it everyday. Its great so far, I guess I always thought of EBTG as a twee acousticy type of thing but I will have a listen and go back. Tracey is abit of a hero for me as I kind of have the same jawline as her..I know that sounds weird but when you look not pretty you need to find people who you can kind of bounce some sort of look off because you know you dont look like Kate Moss.

I'm up to where Ben has been diagnosed with his syndrome.

I really liked the early bit of her career and her talking about that scene with Scritti and The Marine Girls etc. I'd read it.

Arthurly  said 23 days ago:

Did not expect the levels in your reply. I bet you have really nice eyes.

Eple  said 23 days ago:

Yeah they're dreamy blue :)

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.