View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Morrissey and The Smiths

MyBlackHeartPain  said about 6 years ago  or at  3:19PM on Friday, September 14 2007 in music

oh. my. god.

i saw The Queen Is Dead atop some music poll, so i went and bought the album, and it's the greatest thing from the 80s i've ever heard. i wasn't even born when it came out.

i've been reading a lot of the singer Morrissey's lyrics, and he's really really good. Anyone else know them? You're all old, so you should!!

Are The Smiths still around, or did they turn all lame-o?

nyx  said about 6 years ago:

superfast pointless reply

steveholt  said about 6 years ago:

I think I saw them play at a mates wedding the other week. They've resorted to Robbie Williams and Dave Matthews Band covers

MyBlackHeartPain  said about 6 years ago:

haha, i hope that's not true!

Ark Shattack  said about 6 years ago:

HI MYBLACKHEARTPAIN!

How's Glenelg? Did you realise that's a palindrome?

Glenelg is still ok. Thanks Ark Shattack.

How's mom?

She's living with her new boyfriend.

This thread is awesome.

Peter  said about 6 years ago:

you might enjoy reading The Severed Alliance by Johnny Rogan, MBHP. it's ''the definitive story of The Smiths.'' i'd give you my copy - I have a couple of 'em, (one's actually signed by the author, no small thing considering who the author is...) but i always try to encourage people to check out their local independently owned new and used book stores.

hey Ark Shattack, did you see this story on this awesome website?:

story

thanks Peter!

Ha, I did actually. Did your mom and her new boyfriend enter?

I did. This guy from work did too, but he doesn't have a chance. My chance is much better because I am awesomer than god.

ratz  said about 4 years ago:

CaptainFez  said about 4 years ago:

Until today I had no idea that the picture on those two best-of albums was a Dennis Hopper.

Taschen are selling a 100-run print of the photo, signed by Hopper. A steal at only a thousand quid.

(I think it comes with his book, too, which - given that it's 450 quid - is probably a good deal.)

postergirl  said about 4 years ago:

I just did a bit of research and it seems there is no version of this book that plebs like me could afford. It's either the £1000 'art edition' or the limited edition (the £450 one, of which there are 1500 copies). This is grossly unfair.

Just wait. Taschen will do a cheaper reprint in a couple of years. They're doing it with the Newton book.

Earl Brutus  said about 4 years ago:

Im partially aggrieved at the title of this thread. Its like saying jarvis cocker and pulp or edwyn collins and orange juice. Sorry.

Urquhart Bluff  said about 4 years ago:

Ha ha! I thought the same thing when I saw it. Morrissey and The Smiths are my favourite band of all time!

Just wait. Taschen will do a cheaper reprint in a couple of years.

But … but … I don't wanna wait that long! I could be run over by a bus before then!

cries

WTF?

Cover art would be more appropriate for a book about women's shoes or cocktails or something.

View Comments 20 to 92

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

goingblank  said about 1 year ago:

Samiek - just going off youtube clips, Johnny seems to drop the odd Smiths song into his sets. The quality's a bit scratchy, but to my mind this is beats Moz and his band any day.

asbestos  said about 1 year ago:

Excited about my hot date with Moz tonight. Have tried to avoid recent setlists so there's an element of surprise.

Raga Chrome  said about 1 year ago:

SWEET AND TENDER HOOLIGAN

Raga Chrome  said about 1 year ago:

That was fucking incredible. Flawless performance.

Setlist, not quite in order -

Shoplifters Of The World Unite
You Have Killed Me
You're The One For Me, Fatty
Alma Matters
Speedway
Everyday Is Like Sunday
How Soon Is Now?
Ouija Board, Ouija Board
One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell
To Give (The Reason I Live)
I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
Meat Is Murder
Let Me Kiss You
Still Ill
Irish Blood, English Heart
Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want
I Know It's Over
November Spawned A Monster
The Youngest Was The Most Loved
Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Encore:
First Of The Gang To Die

astrousersasmind  said about 1 year ago:

that's a blinder of a setlist

steveholt  said about 1 year ago:

I Know It's Over aside, which was brilliant, the whole show left me feeling like I could have just as easily watched Morrissey sing over a backing tape. Please, Please .... was turned into a horrible Yacht Rock pastiche of itself to which I cringed the whole way through and the rest was bereft of any real sense other than going through the motions. Morrissey has turned into a cartoon of himself. And when he handed the mike over to the crowd and some inarticulate yank told him how he inspires generations I walked out. Shame really. I wasn't expecting much but I know now on the back of that I'm definitely not going to see The Stone Roses.

Good t-shirts at the merch stand though.

Eple  said about 1 year ago:

roll call for Opera House show?

lekkas  said about 1 year ago:

Awesome show last night. That guy's an absolute fucken legend!!!

mule  said about 1 year ago:

umm

kuroneko  said about 1 year ago:

Morrissey has turned into a cartoon of himself.

Errr, are you at all familiar with the work of The Smiths?

Great show last night, excellent set list, and best ever merch - a pillowcase with Moz's face and 'Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me''.

lekkas  said about 1 year ago:

Ha, yeh, pillow cases looked great! They were flying out the door too...

Saw a bizarre tug of war going on for almost 10 minutes after the set had ended. Finally realized there were about 5-6 people fighting tooth and nail for Moz's shirt he threw in the crowd. They got all the way to the back of GA section before security finally broke it up and gave it to the girl crying the most... Moz certainly has some dedicated followers alright...

steveholt  said about 1 year ago:

Errr, are you at all familiar with the work of The Smiths?

I knew what to expect, but fuck me, dial a cliche or what?!

kuroneko  said about 1 year ago:

dial a cliche or what?!

I see what you did there!

opera house show......now that was a gig..! but the battery chicken movie...............I was squirming....

and the girl who has seen him 560 times,,,,,,f***K!

NotMorrissey  said about 1 year ago:

Why the FUCK did I not buy a ticket???

not sure why you didnt but I wasnt going until last Monday - andrew p streets ticket. thanks aps.

NotMorrissey  said about 1 year ago:

Yeah, I was overseas when they were released, didn't know he was even in the country 'til they were all gone, and couldn't manage to get any anywhere else.

Morris Iemma  said about 1 year ago:

Raga Chrome said 24 days ago:
That was fucking incredible. Flawless performance.

This.

Also, he threw two shirts into the audience; the first tug of war went for about 15 minutes up the front and distracted me from, from memory, Everyday is like Sunday (?)

Wish I got a pillow-case...

I Know It's Over was definitely a highlight.

sting-bono  said about 7 months ago:

http://www.uproxx.com/music/2014/01/morrissey-sees-difference-eating-animals-paedophilia/

this is what i tell myself every time i take a 12 year old out for a romantic steak dinner

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.