View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Dirty Projectors

astralwerkor  said about 7 years ago  or at  6:58PM on Thursday, September 13 2007 in music

I've been reading heaps of overwhelmingly positive reviews of their new album, Rise Above, which is a reworking of the Black Flag album Damaged, and it has me all intrigued-like. Problem is, I've never heard the band before. therefore, I propose to discover them as I post this discussion, and invite all other contributors to add comments on their like/dislike/total ambivalence/hatred/love/sexual lust for and/or toward this band. Oh, and if I come back and say I like em, where should I go to after this recent album? Cheers in advance purples...
Astral

astralwerkor  said about 7 years ago:

Well, I've liked what I've heard so far, so some suggestions would be nice fuckos. Oh, and I've been listening at the my spizz, for anyone who is also interested....

fulton girls club  said about 7 years ago:

DIRTY PROJECTORS ARE SO COOL.

i can't wait for that flag record to come out.

Thanks for the advice fulton....

shit their cover of rise above is so cool.

I propose to discover them as I post this discussion, and invite all other contributors to add comments on their like/dislike/total ambivalence/hatred/love/sexual lust for and/or toward this band.

get the record getty address, it came before this one i believe and it's quite good.

Again, thank you... :) But yes, it is fucking awesome indeed...

raven  said about 7 years ago:

Rise Above is FUCKING AWESOME.
Truly a spinout. I saw them first supporting Battles in NY in April, and they played a few songs off this. It's not Black Flag at all, but it's... stunning.

I like the positive feedback, I'm gonna have to check this band out a little more...

Bump for the evening crew...

squircle  said about 7 years ago:

You must watch this if you like DP - Possibly the most beautiful waveforms to ever travel through air...

http://www.blogotheque.net/article.php3?id_article=3220

That was beautiful squircle, thank you. :)

No worries, spread the word.

BUMP!!

Featured on the new Grizzly Bear EP providing back-ups for a re-recorded version of the Horn of Plenty song ''Alligatpor''. Find it here.

Nice, i bought all their stuff last night from marriage and states right records. Only cost about 60 bucks for 4 CDs.

Yeah, I'm gonna do that soon too I think...

And obviously the song is ''Alligator'', without the surplus p.

anok  said about 6 years ago:

i'm quite enjoying this fanciness.

djbollocks  said about 6 years ago:

I love their version of Police Story on Rise Above.

View Comments 20 to 425

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

blake3030  said about 2 years ago:

Had a listen last night. Struggled to get halfway through. They're always pretty grating first time round though.

hyperfuzz  said about 2 years ago:

black wasp!  said about 2 years ago:

I'm enjoying this despite some pretty large reservations about things like Longstreth's vocals and classic rockist nods to the past. Deployment of vocal harmonies is getting better. And even though I really disliked the 70s-esque mix at first, I think it adds a nice point of distinction. It'd be nice if we could see an artist-pushes-artist scenario between Dirty Projectors and Deerhoof, reminiscent of the Sgt. Pepper vs Pet Sounds vs other stuff creative rivalries of rock's urgently creative heyday.

squircle  said about 2 years ago:

Has anyone heard the Bjork / Dirty Projectors collaboration, really nice. I hate to say it but everyone i play this to hates Daves voice to the point of turning the CD off.

Yeah, I liked that too. There's no doubt in my mind that DPs/Longstreth/crew rank among the most creative, fast-moving people in pop music today. The way a piece like 'About to Die' is put together is genius, even if I hate some of it.

With our songs, we are outlawed
With our songs, we're alone
but without songs we're lost
and life is pointless, harsh, and long.

In my heart, there is music
In my mind is a song
but in my eyes, a world
Crooked, fucked up and wrong

Sing all day
Record and play
Drums and bass, and a guitar
Will there be peace in the world,
or will vile winds always own the truth?

There's a bird singing at my window
and it's singing an irresponsible tune
An irresponsible tune

Velodrone  said about 2 years ago:

I have never listened to this band, but I may check them out. The Black Flag thing sounds interesting.

FWIW, The guitarist, Amber Coffman, was (is?) in an amazing band called Sleeping People.

anok  said about 2 years ago:

wow. i remember that band. looks like she left SP to join DP's. i remember her playing guitar when i saw them in 08, but maybe not last tour? ah i dunno for sure.

the vox may scare you off DP's velo.

Hmmm. What are eeh vocals like?

*the

whatwhat  said about 2 years ago:

Like David Byrne crossed with Alec Ounsworth or whatever his name is from clap yr hands say yeah.

anok  said about 2 years ago:

police story is probably still my fav song of theirs (though it's a cover, hehe). hilarious vocal histrionics.

anok  said about 1 year ago:

dp's cover usher's 'climax' on triple j.

song starts around 1:10. pretty great.

sonian  said about 1 year ago:

anok said 10 hours ago:
dp's cover usher's 'climax' on triple j.

A friend sent me that this morning. It's meaty and good.

sonian  said about 1 year ago:

that's real good. i saved the link for when I got to work and was handsomely rewarded. but annoyed because there's only one song and I want more please.

sounds a fair bit like joe goddard's 'gabriel', so check that out if you haven't already.

TagoMago  said about 1 year ago:

so what is the guitar effect used on ''cannibal resource''.

Live it sounds like a blend of trem + wah.

TagoMago  said about 1 year ago:

thanks. whats a good tremelo and phaser pedal to get? ive got a day and 2 grand to spend at the guitar centre in los angeles.

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.