View the Mobile Version of M+N

Discussions

Tiple J: Tunny has a go via Crikey

Bittervictorian  said about 6 years ago  or at  5:02PM on Tuesday, July 31 2007 in industry

Anyone have any idea what Michael Tunn said in his Crikey article today? I only get the free email so only have this:

19. The trouble with Triple J
Michael Tunn, former Triple J presenter, writes:

Triple J just doesn't get its audience any more, writes former presenter Michael Tunn.

RoastOxCrisps  said about 6 years ago:

an alcohol problem?

anonymous  said about 6 years ago:

typo!

havn't got mine yet, will paste when i do unless someone beats me (dan z?)

charlesincharge  said about 6 years ago:

who gives a fuck what Tunny thinks anyway. the guy is an a-grade fuck wit.

Bittervictorian  said about 6 years ago:

Baaaaahahahaha! This Freudian key board is already paying for itself...

whatwhat  said about 6 years ago:

ice ice baby

The_Suits  said about 6 years ago:

hey tunny, was triple j cooler when 'i want to be a hippy and i want to get stoned' was all over it?

k2  said about 6 years ago:

we need helen razor to weigh in. she's long gone though, right?

thegirlwhocrieddave  said about 6 years ago:

long gone from what k2?

k2  said about 6 years ago:

from around here.

thegirlwhocrieddave  said about 6 years ago:

she reads. sometimes. she wouldn't care about this though, if i can speak for her for a moment.

The_Suits  said about 6 years ago:

everyone knows that tunny was just the guy you had to look at before monkey came on on the afternoon show.

questionmark  said about 6 years ago:

After leaving Triple J in November 1999, he moved on to join the now defunt 'bigfatradio.com', an online radio station that used proprietary web page streaming technology so that the end user was able to view pages sent from the studio. The station featured many ex Triple J staff including Angela Catterns, Helen Razer, Ian Rogerson and Debbie Spillane

After the collapse of the venture in the Dot-Com bubble burst, he joined the Austereo network in January 2001 and became the Assistant Program Director and Afternoon Presenter of Triple M Adelaide and SAFM.

After five years with Austereo in March 2006, Michael was informed his contract had been terminated with no apparent explantation.

At the time he was facing charges over an allegation of 'offensive behaviour' which resulted from a heavy night of drinking.

The case resolved with no conviction recorded.

Triple M claimed in a public statement the termination ''was not linked to the case'', however after a legal process, the two parties agreed on a settlement over the termination, which is sealed.

Michael was appointed Music Director at ABC Local Radio in the Northern Territory in 2006.

danielz  said about 6 years ago:

here ya go:

Michael Tunn, former Triple J presenter, writes:

Triple J Staff are probably scratching their heads at their worst performance in the ratings since before they went national.

Yesterday’s Newcastle result, which saw a near halving of its audience, finally means the argument that Triple J is more relevant for regional audiences than the city is laid to rest. Triple J rated just over 6% in Newcastle, in their last big regional test in Darwin they rated 5%, in Adelaide their Audience has halved, and in most capitals they are drifting down the bottom of the pack.

Does Triple J care about ratings? And should it actually be worried? Well the answer is yes and no. Triple J really shouldn’t care about its overall audience, but it should care about its 15 to 24 year old numbers, as that is it brief. And its performance in the demo, well it’s been beaten by MIX, which targets 35 plus women. In short, the answer is YES.

Why is a station with Mariah Carey and Madonna in its play list beating a Youth Station in its own territory?

The answer is simple. Triple J doesn’t know young people and has made little attempt to get to know them. A bunch of aging hippies are trying to guess what young people want and they are obviously getting it very wrong.

In my home town, Dance Station Fresh, a volunteer-run youth community station has twice the listeners of Triple J, and all they do is play dance music. It's not that hard to play music that appeals to young people. But Triple J, in its ivory tower at 700 Harris Street in Ultimo, sees no reason to respond or adjust to its target.

Triple J believes it sets the agenda on what is cool. Every year it becomes obvious that they don’t. That's when the Hottest 100 votes are counted, and a song played on commercial radio rather than Triple J grabs the gong, a pattern that’s been repeated every year this century.

Compared to its older sister ABC Local Radio, Triple J has not managed to home in and target the very people who need a radio station for just them.

The Arguments that nova (which isn’t on air in Newcastle or Darwin) has taken its audience don’t measure up, since Nova is also struggling at the moment. Neither does the argument that the iPod is making Triple J irrelevant; iPod sales are actually up in the 35 plus demographics too, but you don’t see ABC Local Radio dropping like a dead duck with bird flu.

What are the answers for Triple J? As an ex-employee, who was there in the days when Triple J was Number One in its target demo, it’s really quite simple.

Stop being scared of being mainstream, there is still a gulf of difference between Triple J and everyone else on the Band, narrow it down, play a song because it appeals to your audience, not to the tastes of a desperately aging staff trying the maintain the coolness.

I remember the program director of Triple J three years ago announcing the success they'd had in preceding year: ''All the staff are happy”. Pity the audience isn’t.

__v  said about 6 years ago:

What are the answers for Triple J? As an ex-employee, who was there in the days when Triple J was Number One in its target demo, it’s really quite simple.

Stop being scared of being mainstream, there is still a gulf of difference between Triple J and everyone else on the Band, narrow it down, play a song because it appeals to your audience, not to the tastes of a desperately aging staff trying the maintain the coolness.

As someone who remembers Triple J before it went national, before it had playlists and when the DJs actually sounded like they loved the music that they played - that some stupid little cockwant should think this is a ''solution'' to a ''problem'' is mindblowing.

__v  said about 6 years ago:

Fuckin quoting - second para shoulda been a quote also. Last para only = 100% new bile.

LoadMyRig  said about 6 years ago:

i'm not interested in the opinions of an also-ran who is incapable of pronouncing his th's.

danielz  said about 6 years ago:

Tunny sounds bitter, and seems to have it mostly wrong.

anonymous  said about 6 years ago:

why does he have it wrong?

bitter call i'll pay.

empra  said about 6 years ago:

awwww, where's tempben?

shakethecloudsout  said about 6 years ago:

yeh it was going well up to that point lol. that doesn't really make sense, given the way it's gone wrong..

i didn't care all that much for tunney, but hes better than anyone still there, and bottom line anyone giving triplej a serve deserve props... makes no difference to my life if that station is blowing minds or just blowing, but its clear as fucking day for nearly a decade its been run by a bunch of out of touch knobends, increasingly more concerned with branding exercises and wedging themselves into position, than playing decent music..

View Comments 20 to 275

We've limited the amount of comments shown in these larger topics to allow for faster viewing, simply click here to load all the missing comments ...

Alex31  said about 6 years ago:

You don't get it Ben...

I don't expect it to rate wildly anywhere. They don't play popular music. They don't appeal to a wide audience. They provide a service to a relatively small section of the community and thats all I give a rats arse about.

Do 3RRR, FBi and 4ZZZ rate highly? Are their ratings the most important thing to the station? Hardly.

Triple J are focusing on rural areas and I for one commend that. Try looking at a total national figure and see how many people are listening in total.

People seem to love bagging Triple J here - which is fine. There is plenty that needs to change there but no one seems to have the answers - it's just easier to continue bagging. Just appreciate the alternatives that you have...

Dan_Crad  said about 6 years ago:

no one seems to have the answers

I thought my idea had merit. Oh well.

fishandfingerpie  said about 6 years ago:

People seem to love bagging Triple J here - which is fine. There is plenty that needs to change there but no one seems to have the answers - it's just easier to continue bagging. Just appreciate the alternatives that you have...

my housemates are the same, they bag triple j but provide no answers. i think the idea is proven, and works well, but it might need a re-vamp or something. jjj just seems to have lost it's way a touch. though everyone who's thirty always says 'it's been like that since 1993!' so maybe i don't know shit.

books  said about 6 years ago:

I do not want to see Rosie Beaton sprawled across a couch on my TV set any more

fishandfingerpie  said about 6 years ago:

ohhh fuck yeah, she's tough to look at

ChrisBrimstone  said about 6 years ago:

ewww that laugh! that voice! ewwww

Mo  said about 6 years ago:

i think tunny has a few decent points in there

dont get me wrong - love the j's but think tunny does have a point

Pelt and/or Holler  said about 6 years ago:

God damn. I want Thursday to fuckin' happen already so I can get Crikey. I'm getting freeloader withdrawals! Ach!

Triple J believes it sets the agenda on what is cool. Every year it becomes obvious that they don’t. That's when the Hottest 100 votes are counted, and a song played on commercial radio rather than Triple J grabs the gong, a pattern that’s been repeated every year this century

both completely valid points

the come together festival is a perfect example of this - where the jjj centric day of 2 years ago did not sell out - while the more unknown day sold out really quickly

all the people on here paying him out for being an also ran or because he's bitter because he got the arse - whatever - doesnt matter - the dude has completely valid points

It'd be interesting to see which day would sell out in a hick town in the middle of nowhere though.

Bah, what am I doing. I've already posted in this stupid thread too much.

i am not seeing your point?

we all agree jjj provides a valuable service to those in remote regional areas

HOWEVER

it doesn't make his points any less valid

and i don't think this thread is stupid at all

i think everyone's slavish defense of jjj instead of taking what he said and dissecting that - instead of saying ''oh he's jsut bitter'' blah blah blah is stupid

and secondly - what tun said is echo'd in that the youth voted with their wallets and that's why that day sold out while the other didnt

and this is coming from someone who reckons jjj is pretty tops

or are you saying jjj's role is to tell hick kids what to listen to as opposed to being a national youth network?

I'm talking about places that don't have the option of Come Together.

also -the whole - its not rating in regional areas argument sort of refutes that too

full metal racket, hack, short fast loud and the aus music show still rule but...

I've said all of this in the thread before - Newcastle is hardly regional.

empra said 3 minutes ago: I'm talking about places that don't have the option of Come Together.

what does that have to do with them being out of touch with the youth??

which is the point he made and the point i am making

calico  said about 6 years ago:

Mo said 51 minutes ago: i think everyone's slavish defense of jjj instead of taking what he said and dissecting that - instead of saying ''oh he's jsut bitter'' blah blah blah is stupid

everyone wants a job there, even the ones who don't anymore

BADALEX  said about 6 years ago:

FTW.

willus  said about 6 years ago:

empra, newcastle is regional.

You need to be logged into Mess+Noise to contribute to the Discussions.
Go on and Log In or if you you're not a member, feel free to Sign Up.

Today On Mess+Noise
MESS+NOISE on Facebook

The M+N Newsletter

Sign up for special offers, giveaways and exclusive tracks. The best spam you'll ever receive.